Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Which Windows OS Do You Prefer?

• Total voters
I am Windows 8.1 all the way. Using anything else(Even the original windows 8) feels incredibly basic and just outdated to me tbh.

I wished Microsoft would go all in with their vision for it.

Unfortunate as it is, the whiners are what are making them back track.

Case in point, the return of a start button even though the Start screen is miles better.
LMAO i'll be peeved if they drop Metro and go back to regular icons. Blah.

They just need to fine tune Metro.

You're a funny guy, yeah 8.1 is great for business too, let me post this to my IT department :rolleyes:
It's a pile of crap like Vista was. Forcing people to buy this crap on new hardware is all that saved them losing even more face. Ballamer said this was the bee's knees windows, then he quit when it was apparent it aint, and the share price bounced back. Google it. Windows 8 and Surface are a joke and it's all steve's fault for trying to dumb down windows to apples one click level of stupidity, so your grandmother and can use it and hipsters can finally have something "cool looking" to show their apple orientated friends. MS missed the mobile boat so they just throw **** at the wall now and see what sticks.

Metro is a content consumption space. It is designed for casual users who only want to check Facebook, view some photos, and maybe post a selfie to Instagram. It’s designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mum who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. It’s simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily. … So we forced it upon them. We drove them to it with goads in their sides.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/microsoft-forced-windows-8-on-people-2014-2

--

Windows 8 is a flop. It is a painful thing to say about one of the most ambitious operating systems ever released, but the stats don’t lie. It has taken half the OS market share Windows 7 did in its first 12 months (10% vs. 20%) and now the adoption rate is so slow it is barely gaining on its 4 ½ year old predecessor. Finally Microsoft MSFT +0.1% has had enough.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...s-9-must-do-to-avoid-flopping-like-windows-8/

Last edited:
Ever since the first version of Windows, a time when some of you were in nappies or not yet conceived, it's always been alternating in great or horrid. Of course there's been a few double-downs on either, but they're rare.

Even after using Windows 7 for a few years, its quirky behavior can drive me nuts. I much prefer Windows XP, especially in that lush silver theme.

If anyone says they can't figure out how to use windows 8 then they probably have an IQ of a mac user.
I agree whole-heartedly.

It literally took me at most 10 minutes to get used to Windows 8. Granted I have been using Windows Phone so I was already familiar with Metro. Anyone calling for a Start buttons return, I just laugh at because it is obvious they are stuck in the past with any unwillingness to adapt. Furthermore, my brother hates Metro....and pretty much 98 percent has gotten rid of Metro entirely and made it look just like Windows 7 while still maintaining the improvements of Win8.

With Threshold/Windows 9 coming in 2015, I do worry we're going to lose good aspects of metro to appease people unwilling to adapt.

in regards to @D.O.A. while surface is not an Ipad seller or Samsung and the fact that 1st Gen (Surface RT & Surface pro) did cost them quite a bit of money, the 2nd gen has been much more well-received and has done far better and the upcoming Surface Pro 3(Pre-ordered it btw :p) is also getting good reviews.

Surface is not a joke by any means. It is not selling Ipad numbers or the crap Samsung releases but it is certainly doing better than Google's Nexus devices(with reports that Microsoft having knocked them down to 5th and taking 4th place) in the UK.

The issue with Surface is mainly the price. Surface Pro devices start at the $899(Without the covers) thus making it a tougher pill to swallow when you compare it with Apple, Amazon and Samsung's offerings even though functionally speaking a Surface offers more than their products(Tablet capabilities with laptop power). Surface RT lacks the apps thus making it tough to compete as well.

But with the lower licensing costs of Windows 8(which is now being offered free for devices of a certain size), I am willing to bet the tide will change and once Microsoft releases the Surface Mini which should priced lower than the cheapest Ipad, I expect a surge. But by no means is Surface a Joke.

If you are a Windows Phone user, then Windows 8 is perfect for you. It sync each other, even with the Office 2013 and OneNote 2013.

It's not about figuring out how to use it. Too many steps to do simple things. Plus, I've heard it's a real PITA for IT people, something about Hot Corners not working correctly in remote sessions.

It's not about figuring out how to use it. Too many steps to do simple things. Plus, I've heard it's a real PITA for IT people, something about Hot Corners not working correctly in remote sessions.
My hot corners works well on my Surface pro xD

@Sheratan that is very true.
I am ready for Microsoft to Merge Windows RT with Windows phone because the 2 NEED to be unified together ASAP.

Windows 8 sucks sooooo hard. Tried giving it another chance... I'd rather use Windows XP lolllllll
Windows 8 is the ******* child of bad management and an ear for the loud people who are less in number than the few who say nothing until there is a problem (I do not blame the programmers who follow orders).

For the people that say 'people who can't get used to windows 8 are not intelligent' I just say that you don't do enough useful things with your computer to know any better.

All they needed to do was allow users to customize the interface more, and integrate a few core points of functionality for their mobile devices and pile that on windows 7 and windows 8 would have been fine.

Then they could have made a windows 8 surface edition which would have basically been a custom interface sitting on top of the core of what should have been windows 8 instead of expecting me to buy a smaller monitor so that items on my menu were not 5 or 6 crayola colored inches across and it could have looked and functioned exactly the same as it does now on a tablet without ruining what was a good thing for people who worry about productivity on their desktop rather than turning their desktop into an extension of their tablet.

Had to work on one of my bosses laptops to clear up some speed issues. Looking up how to get into safe mode, I was thoroughly confused on why they changed it. Is something wrong with F8 > Enable Safe Mode with Networking?

Had to work on one of my bosses laptops to clear up some speed issues. Looking up how to get into safe mode, I was thoroughly confused on why they changed it. Is something wrong with F8 > Enable Safe Mode with Networking?
I dont know, but there is a glitch in xp, vista, and 7 that allow you to access admin account in safe mode without password. I used to do that to help my friend to recover admin password.

If anyone says they can't figure out how to use windows 8 then they probably have an IQ of a mac user.
Actually, to REALLY use the Mac you have to be smarter than a Windows user as it's based (loosely) off of FreeBSD/NetBSD. We don't need no stinking Putty for terminal access to Linux servers. :p

Actually, to REALLY use the Mac you have to be smarter than a Windows user as it's based (loosely) off of FreeBSD/NetBSD. We don't need no stinking Putty for terminal access to Linux servers. :p
Actually, if you réally want to use a computer and pick a Mac for it, you're probably not smarter than a windows user at all. :P

I joke, no need to be offended guys. :)

Actually, if you réally want to use a computer and pick a Mac for it, you're probably not smarter than a windows user at all. :p
Well, I've got all the bases covered (these are currently up and running in my computer room) ;)
Mac Mini (OS X)
Ubuntu 14.04 netbook
Windows Surface Pro 2
Windows 8 Toshiba laptop
Windows 7 Desktop
Debian Wheezy (server)
centOS 6.5 (server)
FreeBSD (desktop)
NetBSD (desktop)
Mandriva (desktop)
openSUSE (desktop)
Puppy (desktop)