Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Which Windows OS Do You Prefer?

• Total voters
upload_2013-10-10_7-55-20.webp

Windows Key + W brings this "Search charm" up. It's actually useful to find the windows setting you want to change.

New keyboard shortcuts FWIW
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/new-keyboard-shortcuts

All keyboard shortcuts ?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

Have any of you who hated Windows 8 in here given it another chance? I'm testing out 8.1 and I see that it's still annoying. Sup with these full screen apps man I thought they done away with it? I can't minimize OneNote. :(

You can minimize it (and close it) by pointing your mouse to the top of you screen. Then a black bar will appear, and you will see minimize and close button in top right.

Have any of you who hated Windows 8 in here given it another chance? I'm testing out 8.1 and I see that it's still annoying. Sup with these full screen apps man I thought they done away with it? I can't minimize OneNote. :(

I'm fully capable of punishing myself, I don't need to use windows 8 to be able to do that and since windows 8 made doing everything I do slower, less productive and overall the layout made me annoyed... I feel the only response appropriate would be to go find a box of crayons and break everyone of them since I want to do something in anger that fits the motif of the UI.

I am still a microsoft user, but I will use windows 7 until they realize that joining fads just alienates people and they make a new operating system that reflects that. Nothing worth noting from my point of view makes the switch from 7 to 8 worth it and unless they are going to actually listen to more people than the trendy mobile phone generation of computing people they are just going to be adding seasoning to a pile of poop, and again that is something I could do myself if I wanted to.

PHP:
$altOS = '*nix';
$winV[7] = 'WIN7';
$winV[8] = 'WIN8';
$winV[9] = 'WIN9';
windows7_EOL($winStatus, $winV, $isWin9available , $win9Value $altOS) {
if($winStatus == 'EOL') {
     if($isWin9available = '1'){
        if($win9Value >= $winV[7]){
           $runningOS = $winV[9];
        }
        if($win9Value < $winV[7]){
           $runningOS = $altOS;
        }
     }
     if($isWin9available = '0'){
           $runningOS = $altOS;
     }
} else {
     $runningOS = $winV[7];
}

$whenTheTimeComes = windows7_EOL(EOL, $winV, 1, $win9Value $altOS);

Last edited:
I'm fully capable of punishing myself, I don't need to use windows 8 to be able to do that and since windows 8 made doing everything I do slower, less productive and overall the layout made me annoyed... I feel the only response appropriate would be to go find a box of crayons and break everyone of them since I want to do something in anger that fits the motif of the UI.

I am still a microsoft user, but I will use windows 7 until they realize that joining fads just alienates people and they make a new operating system that reflects that. Nothing worth noting from my point of view makes the switch from 7 to 8 worth it and unless they are going to actually listen to more people than the trendy mobile phone generation of computing people they are just going to be adding seasoning to a pile of poop, and again that is something I could do myself if I wanted to.

PHP:
$altOS = '*nix';
$winV[7] = 'WIN7';
$winV[8] = 'WIN8';
$winV[9] = 'WIN9';
windows7_EOL($winStatus, $winV, $isWin9available , $win9Value $altOS) {
if($winStatus == 'EOL') {
     if($isWin9available = '1'){
        if($win9Value >= $winV[7]){
           $runningOS = $winV[9];
        }
        if($win9Value < $winV[7]){
           $runningOS = $altOS;
        }
     }
} else {
     $runningOS = $winV[7];
}

$whenTheTimeComes = windows7_EOL(EOL, $winV, 1, $win9Value $altOS);
It's like Microsoft completely threw the idea of multi-tasking out the window. Talk about a huge step back! :ROFLMAO:

Trying to help someone with some tech issues, trying to reboot into safe mode, only to realize Microsoft has hidden it in such a way that it's nearly impossible to access if you can't normally boot into Windows.

Great.

Oh. Yeah. You can't "restore" metro app in Windows 8.
Resize is what you mean and what I should've said the first time. My bad. But yeah I'm going to uninstall this garbage and reinstall Windows 7. That's a dang shame when you can do more with OneNote in the Windows 7 version than you can in Windows 8. :LOL:

I found out how to do it! I am installing and updating Windows 7 right now though. Now I gotta reinstall Windows 8.1 :ROFLMAO: This is ALL for the sake of testing out OneNote's PDF Attachment capabilities.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Windows 7.
/close thread

OneNote embeds the .pdf in it's files ... and the .pdf does not exist as a discrete entity.
That's what I don't like about OneNote and .pdf

What is the usage scenario for the .pdfs ?
What do you want OneNote to do ?

OneNote is interesting ... depends what you want out of it.

Windows 7.
/close thread

OneNote embeds the .pdf in it's files ... and the .pdf does not exist as a discrete entity.
That's what I don't like about OneNote and .pdf

What is the usage scenario for the .pdfs ?
What do you want OneNote to do ?

OneNote is interesting ... depends what you want out of it.
I read that you can embed the pdf inside the note. I just want to see exactly how I'm able to read the pdf in the note because I want to be able to read the pdf in an easy to read format on my iPhone. I can't insert a pdf from my phone. I can only scan stuff. So I will try to insert a multipage pdf that I created with the app Genius Scan, inside a OneNote page. That can only be done on Windows. Can't do it on the Mac version.

I tried last night and it asked me to buy the paid version when I tried it on Windows 7. oh hecks nah. But then they had another way to do it which was file by file. It was going to automatically do it for me but it was taking too long which is why I tried doing it on Windows 8. But I couldn't insert, copy-n-paste or drag a pdf into OneNote on Windows 8 because you can't resize windows.

Now that I know about the snap feature I'll try again.

If that don't work I'll try again on Windows 7 but this time I'll make sure it's updated cause it wasn't last time (that might have been the problem the first time who knows).

I'm trying to avoid having to depend on scrivener to write my book. I am trying onenote as an alternative because it has more free memory than Evernote (60mb is their limit for free accounts, onenote has 7gb thanks to onedrive), more dependable sync-wise and I'll be able to view my notebooks on iPhone and Mac seamelessly unlike Scrivener which requires dropbox and has no iOS app yet.

I am Windows 8.1 all the way. Using anything else(Even the original windows 8) feels incredibly basic and just outdated to me tbh.

I wished Microsoft would go all in with their vision for it.

Unfortunate as it is, the whiners are what are making them back track.

Case in point, the return of a start button even though the Start screen is miles better.
LMAO i'll be peeved if they drop Metro and go back to regular icons. Blah.

They just need to fine tune Metro.

I am Windows 8.1 all the way. Using anything else(Even the original windows 8) feels incredibly basic and just outdated to me tbh.

I wished Microsoft would go all in with their vision for it.

Unfortunate as it is, the whiners are what are making them back track.

Case in point, the return of a start button even though the Start screen is miles better.
LMAO i'll be peeved if they drop Metro and go back to regular icons. Blah.

They just need to fine tune Metro.
It's called an opinion.

Most of us have been using windows ever since it existed, and thus have used the start button forever. When you suddenly change such behavior, after some 20-30 years, you're bound to run into some resistance. That's not people being 'whiners', that's people having learned to work with such a future and gotten comfortable with it. Windows 8 has changed a lot of stuff that worked perfectly fine before the changes, and it just makes life a lot more difficult for everyone. And as usual I'm of the opinion that if you want to massively change something like that it's fine, but please include an option to keep using it 'the old way' so everyone is happy. No need to force your grant vision on others if they're more comfortable with what they know.

I have 1 pc using Windows 8.1 and my current primary is using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I'm tempting upon the release of CentOS 7 (anyone know where I can find the beta?), to trying that on the other hard drive for a double boot system. I've been playing with Red Hat 7 and it seemed a little interesting.

Top Bottom