Windows 10

"Live Tiles" just reminds me of widgets on an Android phone. Around since I first had a Motorola Droid... I hardly see that as "groundbreaking".
Live tiles might not be groundbreaking but MSFT research on machine learning is definitely that

They are miles ahead of Apple and slightly ahead of Google in that regard.

Watch out for real time translator, hyperlapse , cortana and many more interesting software's coming from machine learning division of MSFT. No one can deny AI is the future.

Real time translator
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hyperlapse

What? That had absolutely nothing to do with my point. Why are you quoting me?

I don't worry too much about AI and the future.

You know the OS is bad when the biggest features are:

- Multiple desktops
- Copy/Paste support in command prompt
- Reintroduction of features previously removed

Unless I'm missing something, other than the really dumb idea to scale 1 OS across 3 device types, that's it isnt it? I've not seen any other notable features.
That's nearly as bad as Apple announcing the addition of transparent windows for about 10 minutes :rolleyes:.

That's nearly as bad as Apple announcing the addition of transparent windows for about 10 minutes :rolleyes:.
Oh I agree - it is. Although to be fair, it was not 10 minutes, let's not exaggerate the conversation ;)

My point was more along the lines of the OS's top features being fixes for something they messed up, or things that all their competitors have had for years.

Arguably Apple had the same thing with iOS. When they finally added Multi-Taking it was evident they were playing catchup with Android.

(I'm a "platform agnostic" person - all commercial operating systems have problems IMO and all of them are not as good as they should be - I use what works for me and really couldn't give a damn about loyalty to Apple or Microsoft :))

Well. This is very bad that we've seen.

Need some good news every time? 'Be different' then.

After I see these news, I don't know what to say except 'thank you Steve Jobs'!

Basically, it's what I (and many others) said when 8 was announced / released. Mixing traditional and touch-oriented user interface concepts is wrong and won't work. Ever. It took them only 2 years to realize this.

Bye bye Metro on a desktop or laptop, you won't be missed.

Oh, and virtual desktop as new feature in 2015. Yeah, right.

Real time translator

Hyperlapse

The hyperlapse project is great.

However the real time translator, how is this groundbreaking in any way, shape or form? I don't quite get the hype of combining voice recognition with a text base translation, followed by a computer generated voice.

Unless I'm missing something here, what they've essentially created is a voice recognition app (not groundbreaking), which is obviously converted to text. The text then gets sent off to be translated, before being returned back to the other user, where the computer reads out the translation.

The fact that it's "Live" means absolutely nothing at all. I can go on Google Translate and speak to it to get a translation - it's not a new, revolutionary or amazing futuristic technology :/

Computer voice recognition has been extremely good in many languages for a fair amount of time. Slapping that into Skype and calling it some amazing new technology is just lies.

I prefer metro than start menu

metro > start menu > this brand new start menu

ps: I have a touch and non-touch laptop

I think you really proved why you like metro. Because of touch technology. Most heavy desktop users don't even entertain touch tech on a desktop or even need it which is why they find this whole metro layout unusable. Fine if your using touch devices but useless to gamers, designers and other misc heavy users who don't require facebook type games to be entertained.

Touch on Wacom graphic tablet tech is another story where it's useful for artists but that's a whole different ball game. Though I don't have an issue with touch technology I do feel it has it's place just not on desktops.

Fine if your using touch devices but useless to gamers, designers and other misc heavy users who don't require facebook type games to be entertained.

I don't have any touch technology in my screen and God knows that I'm a hardcore gamer and yet, I use the metro menu because I found it more practical. And I don't play Facebook games.

I don't have any touch technology in my screen and God knows that I'm a hardcore gamer and yet, I use the metro menu because I found it more practical. And I don't play Facebook games.

From Microsoft way of implementing and thinking. They catered "Metro" to accommodate the touch screen fanatics, forgetting they have power desktop PC users that don't require it. Throw in their useless Charms technology = "Hello community we messed up. Here's Windows 10". #Livetiles

I think you really proved why you like metro. Because of touch technology. Most heavy desktop users don't even entertain touch tech on a desktop or even need it which is why they find this whole metro layout unusable. Fine if your using touch devices but useless to gamers, designers and other misc heavy users who don't require facebook type games to be entertained.

Touch on Wacom graphic tablet tech is another story where it's useful for artists but that's a whole different ball game. Though I don't have an issue with touch technology I do feel it has it's place just not on desktops.
Im using metro in a non touch scrren laptop and I had no problem. I consider my self a heavy gamer with CoD series, BF serirs, Dota, starcraft, half life, etc.

Windows 10 to be a free upgrade to Windows 7 and 8 users!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7...1-users#ooid=dnNTl3cjqkTwW9KE4bKcen48lXi6U8dl

Is it just me, or is that pretty exciting as it should really help with market adoption and therefore significantly reduce the number of older browsers being used out there.

If there's a large adoption rate amongst existing Windows 7 and 8 users, it'll shift a large number of IE 9, and 10 users onto 11 or the upcoming 'Spartan'.

Now we just need to figure how to either upgrade or destroy all those pesky enterprise machines running IE8 or below job's a good 'un!

EDIT, Couldn't stop myself from laughing at the cringeworthy lack of applause after the first announcement of free upgrade from version 8 and the pitiful one after her mentioned 7. Doesn't seem the windows audience are quite as enthusiastic as those at the Apple events :D

Doesn't seem the windows audience are quite as enthusiastic as those at the Apple events :D
Don't be surprised.
Windows 8 and after that 8.1 was a big disappointment for windows users.
They want to see the product first in live on some machine before upgrading to it.

Don't be surprised.
Windows 8 and after that 8.1 was a big disappointment for windows users.
They want to see the product first in live on some machine before upgrading to it.

If you have used 8.1 shouldn't be any big surprise upgrading to 10. I already knew 8 was going to make me angry. 10 will finally put windows back to where 8 would have been if it had been done "right". If they had kept going the opposite direction I would be adjusting to Mac OS in a few years.

Having used an x86 Tablet I understand a lot of the tablet side changes better. However there was no reason to disrupt Desktop workflow by cutting out 70,000 lines of perfectly working code... oh wait :p

Top Bottom