Windows 10 Beta Tester

I don't even know how to turn off those settings so if someone could point me in the right direction to do that, that would be wonderful.

Also I'm loving it so far except for the times Cortana decides to listen to what I'm saying and bing something when I'm in the middle of a game (usually yelling or laughing or just being dumb with friends when she thinks I say "hey cortana").
What I did was go to the Start Menu -> Click Settings -> Click Privacy - and from there, I pretty much just turned everything OFF.

Could you post a screenshot so that we can see what can be turned off?
Here's a list of primary options that can have the settings be turned off.

Qy4CYc1.png

Now, each of these has their own settings.

Second add _optout in every wifi connection names, Third go to "Settings > Privacy" and start disabling each and every option which you think is isn't made for you.

I don't even know how to turn off those settings so if someone could point me in the right direction to do that, that would be wonderful.

Also I'm loving it so far except for the times Cortana decides to listen to what I'm saying and bing something when I'm in the middle of a game (usually yelling or laughing or just being dumb with friends when she thinks I say "hey cortana").

I recognize people have posted about the privacy settings, but here are a couple of links that could help:

How to stop Windows 10's prying eyes

Windows 10 Tips and Tricks • /r/Windows10

Also, a helpful animated gif that shows how to turn off the p2p Windows updates

First thing to do is turn Cortana off. lol.

Alternatively, I find that staring at the desktop for 30 seconds (The cold dark stare) and then commence in holding your finger out and clicking the power button will give that ease of mind of not being "watched" by the powers that be that just happen to send ones data to the authorities. What's everyone's thoughts on finger scanners on mobiles? <fuels the bonfire> :ROFLMAO:

Stare >> Hold arm out >> release index finger and hit the power button. #SAFE

Anyhow, Still happy with win10. The only issue I seem to be having is on reboot, restart or when i set the computer to sleep upon booting into windows my NAS drives need remapping each time.

How's the gaming performance compared to Windows 8.1?
Windows 10 vs Windows 8.1 Gaming Benchmark Comparison: Which OS Grants Better Performance? | DualShockers

While the true test of Windows 10 will come when DirectX 12 games will start becoming widespread, if you’re worried about the new operating system negatively impacting your gaming experience, we can say that at least on our test machine not only this did not happen, but performance was improved across the board.

There really isn't that much of a difference. About +/- 1 FPS in most benchmarks.

It's annoying how you can't see the size of software updates and can't see what they consist of until after they are installed seemingly.

Windows 10 vs Windows 8.1 Gaming Benchmark Comparison: Which OS Grants Better Performance? | DualShockers

There really isn't that much of a difference. About +/- 1 FPS in most benchmarks.

Every little improvement matters :D

The improvements (performance boosts) will come later and will be noticeable when we start seeing dx12 coded games. As for now on my secondary system, 970 SLI I'm hitting 18,500 OC (firestrike) using afterburner on air cooling, stable. -/+ 1 FPS could be other programs affecting a 1 fps gain or drop or probably vast amount of mouse movement or some other background task that's running. Nothing you'll notice now but will soon when the game developers do their magic.

The vastly better UI and implementation of features is worth it alone until dx12 coded games are with us and then we'll see some true optimization and performance gains. Hopefully EA will do some dx12 magic and not cut corners or try to save money in pushing their games out too fast. There's a few games of theirs I'm wanting need for speed and Battlefront. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
@Shelley you wanna just send me your pc? haha
I love Win 10 so far. Honestly I have complaints what so ever. Nothing lags I have had no restart issues nothing to be quite frank.
People always figure out a way to complain about a Windows. It's BS to be honest. :notworthy:
Oh and reference to the updates and you not being able to see them until after you update you could always just go to the microsoft update page and read all about them there.

Long Live Win 10!:sneaky:

I fail to see why anyone would leave Window 7. What is or was wrong with it that Window 8 or 10 hopes to fix?

To me, 8 and 10 are solutions looking for problems.

I love Windows 7, but I think Windows 8/8.1 was a bit like Windows Vista
I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 manually and I love it, no issues at all.

Why'd anyone leave Windows XP for that matter then? Why do these companies keep trying to farther develop themselves?

Maybe I'm just getting old. I suspect I'll be happily pecking away on Win7 for several more years. I installed Windows 8 on one of my test machines and deleted it in disgust after a couple of days. My mouth was literally hanging open a couple of times at how godawful bad it was. From what I've seen, 10 looks like 8 with a Start menu. No, thanks. I'll pass.

I think it's a case of it being very different and if you're not looking for a lot of interface changes, you're not likely to enjoy it. There's no shame in staying on 7, there was no shame on staying on xp for a decade, but you can't expect companies to sit still just because their software is alright.

Even if today Microsoft, Apple, Google, Linux, etc released the PERFECT operating system. I'm talking, so perfect they grabbed 100% market share, today! They would still have to start planning the next version, they'd still have to continue developing, just because you nail it for now doesn't mean your competition is going to stop and it also doesn't mean people won't want more. They might be good for now, but within a couple years they're going to be like "what are they even doing, this isn't special anymore, c'mon, give me something". That's why software technologies have to release updates even with almost no new functionality because if they don't show that they're still there, their customers will leave.

Last edited:
OMG, just found this out about the Windows 10 EULA:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.”

Just lovely.

Top Bottom