Will this be the end of vBulletin?

Is this it?

• Total voters
In science credit goes not to the man to whom the idea first occurred but to the man who convinces the world :)
Which is funny because the point of science is fact and order of operations and the way recognition works is hardly a science at all. It's a popularity contest.

Its nothing much about american, every greedy business is like this in any country, any planet. There is a big world beyond US that follows worst business practices

Actually it does, owing to the fact of what is allowed by law in the US as well as given culture which supports what is perceived as "the norm".

Hence why in the UK (and EU for that matter) this kind of tactic is far less common and very rarely successful as the law is there to protect the individual and rights, opposed to corporate profit in cases like this.

Well see in the US there is the BBB who will listen to your claims against a company and will take your claims if they are against a Canadian or American business. It's not that American business is soooooo bad...it's that the people here that don't do their civic duty when it comes down to it...which is why the lapse in enforcement occurs. It's a misconception that it is only America doing it. It's more to the fact here that most people don't want details in this country they just want "what's theirs" without having to learn what is and what isn't theirs. The ignorant ones far outweigh the enlightened ones in the US.

The ignorant ones far outweigh the enlightened ones in the US.

Giving combining that with the corporate culture that is fostered and supported in the US, along with the laws that favour the larger organisations, it's just proof that this kind of behaviour is more common there. I'm not saying the US is the only one, though it's regularly appears head and shoulders above the rest in the west.

vBulletin will be around for a long time. I think people will keep their 3.x licenses but their revenue stream will be cut somewhat. I'm real curious to see what 4.1 brings.
And maybe XF will buy vBulletin in a few years needing a tax writeoff?

vBulletin will be around for a long time. I think people will keep their 3.x licenses but their revenue stream will be cut somewhat. I'm real curious to see what 4.1 brings.
And maybe XF will buy vBulletin in a few years needing a tax writeoff?

Don't look surprised if vBulletin 4.1 comes with a collapsable XenForo styled login block or other XF elements that improve the interface. Just a hopefully bad assumption.

Again, as per the other thread, please refrain from insulting IB or vB in your comments.

So I can't call them "poo poo bum heads", fair enough Mr Moderator Sir, wont be doing that :)

I think we may need to re-estimate sales of Xen, upwards, and Invision may see something of a surge in conversions.

I wish it was the end for vbulletin. I grew so sick of the underhanded tricks they tried to pull by raising prices and banning licensed owners. I for one hope they file bankruptcy.

I wish it was the end for vbulletin. I grew so sick of the underhanded tricks they tried to pull by raising prices and banning licensed owners. I for one hope they file bankruptcy.
That wouldn't be good for the thousands and thousands of forums running vB.

I would feel bad for sites such as mine that are running VB, but i stopped upgrading at 3.8 and i am very willing to stay there forever.....Or if xen wins in court, i will move to their software.

I think the code is an excuse to file a lawsuit, which I'm sure Mike and Kier thought about from the start (code/copyright infringement). I believe the real reason for the lawsuit is to bankrupt xenForo from the start so they can't grow and fight back.

I think xenForo needs to keep moving forward, release their software to generate some income, and fight back... but that's just me.

It won't end vB, but will end vB as we know it.

I have said before and stand by my prediction that the powers that be will see vB not as a revenue source, but as a simple system to generate more ad revenue.

IB's buying of Jelsoft was a smart one since they had so many communities, the renewal fees had to be way up there. Buying them, and then having the sale of vb 4.0 I am sure they are close to breaking even and will be EOL as far as the public goes with the software.

They will continue to use it in house, but in the next 2-3 years you will see if disappear from the user aspect.. we won't ever see a vB 6.0

Just my opinion...

Jamie

vBulletin will of course continue, it's too big to do anything else in terms of installs. They have managed to bring Xen to the notice of a lot more people, thank's for the advertising IB ;)

vBulletin was irreparably damaged with the catastrophic release of vBulletin 4.
When you have thousands of fanboys using your software .... and you kill your product's reputation in one release ... you know you messed up.
When you are a company like Microsoft, you can survive Windows ME. vBulletin's "Windows ME" is vBulletin 4 and they aren't Microsoft.

vBulletin was irreparably damaged with the catastrophic release of vBulletin 4.
When you have thousands of fanboys using your software .... and you kill your product's reputation in one release ... you know you messed up.
Agreed. But not only because vb4 itselfe is a fail, the new lic. system is a nightmare too.
Many websites stay on vB3 just because of that. But at some point, everyone will be "forced" (security/updates of other related apps like cms and bridges) to either upgrade to vb4 or switch.

XenForo looks like a good candiate to replace vB on smaller websites with v1 - and on bigger websites later on once the required plugins/modifications are available.
I just hope that this lawsuite gets resolved soon.

Between VB4 and now this - they've pretty much signed their own death warrant. It may be a long, slow, painful death, but it will be none the less - this is just the start.

I'll definitely be buying a XF license now, if only to help the crew out with the legal costs of fighting IB. I'll also be recommending a few friends of mine to consider switching from VB for a better software.

Top Bottom