Will there be Tapatalk support?

BirdOPrey5

Just wondering if you guys are working with Tapatalk to have support from the launch? I ask because AVF forums seem to always be advertised with Tapatalk and I'm wondering if they'd really give that up to move to XenForo or if they will be working from the get-go.

As far as I am aware, AVForums no longer works with Tapatalk due to their (AVF) unique search function.

What exactly does Tapatalk do that a normal mobile browser doesn't or can't?

ahhh... Tapatalk still uses them in their example images so I figured they were still affiliated. In any case Tapatalk support would be important now that I think about it- it basically makes a world of difference... using Tapatalk on an iPhone or Droid is much better then using a mobile skin on a regular forum, it's just something you have to try to understand... hard to explain- it's like your forum is a built in app.

I have Tapatalk on all my forums... But with a good mobile skin/style, Tapatalk would become unnecessary for xenForo. I NEVER use Tapatalk. Call me old-fashioned, but for me browsing a forum is something I do with a browser, not an app.
Also I've found it a bit weird in regards to browsing long threads. It doesn't check what posts I've read in a thread, it just puts me on page 1.

I'm sure some people like/use it, but really, it could all be achieved with a mobile skin/style.
Look at m.youtube.com - it's WAY better than the Youtube App. Plus it gives you full control. You are not reliant on the makers of Tapatalk or the vetting process of Apple or Android. I mean, who knows what insane idea Steve Jobs is going to have next. First it's no boobs, then it's no flash. But it's okay to have an app that promises to make your genitals grow.

I'm sorry that's a bit vague, do you have any specifics ?
http://www.tapatalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11665#post11665

http://androidforums.com/site-updat...led.html#post1137299

Also heard there was a bug that allowed remote code execution, but haven't found proof of that yet. Honestly what concerns me most about tapatalk is the simple fact that there isn't a changelog anywhere.

@Been Told: I agree, a simple mobile skin would do wonders. Also, you wouldn't have to pay for a mobile client like Tapatalk does for posting access. (Reading app is free though).

I have Tapatalk on all my forums... But with a good mobile skin/style, Tapatalk would become unnecessary for xenForo. I NEVER use Tapatalk. Call me old-fashioned, but for me browsing a forum is something I do with a browser, not an app.
Also I've found it a bit weird in regards to browsing long threads. It doesn't check what posts I've read in a thread, it just puts me on page 1.

I'm sure some people like/use it, but really, it could all be achieved with a mobile skin/style.
Look at m.youtube.com - it's WAY better than the Youtube App. Plus it gives you full control. You are not reliant on the makers of Tapatalk or the vetting process of Apple or Android. I mean, who knows what insane idea Steve Jobs is going to have next. First it's no boobs, then it's no flash. But it's okay to have an app that promises to make your genitals grow.

tapatalk does more than just that, and it's growing as well -
BTW, Andriod here, no Jobs meddling with my phone ;)

Well yeah, but as I said else-where. A mobile skin makes more sense. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks (if there are any). Any smartphones capable of running apps like Tapatalk (which by the way costs money if you want to write stuff, the free one only lets you read) will certainly be able to display a mobile skin just as well.
Also I really don't like having a middle-man between my forum members and me. Having a provider hosting my forum is as much middle-man as I'm willing to allow. Anything else takes too much control out of my hands.

Well yeah, but as I said else-where. A mobile skin makes more sense. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks (if there are any). Any smartphones capable of running apps like Tapatalk (which by the way costs money if you want to write stuff, the free one only lets you read) will certainly be able to display a mobile skin just as well.
Good for you, yet I see there being a benefit to having both.
Also I really don't like having a middle-man between my forum members and me. Having a provider hosting my forum is as much middle-man as I'm willing to allow. Anything else takes too much control out of my hands.
Can you elaborate on that, technically ?

My issue with Tapatalk or any application like this is: My users shouldn't be expected to pay to browser my site in anyway.

Maybe if Tapatalk offered a premium add-on which I paid a single fee for, and provided their app for free, I'd feel differently, but when my users are expected to pay for the app? I saw no point in even reading past that portion of their post.

Also, HTML5 is built to support web applications. Creating a mobile supported RIA is much more rewarding then requiring a paid application to be installed, as any member who has a phone (Mostly smartphones) will be able to use my site and appreciate the sexy content-rich goodness.

My issue with Tapatalk or any application like this is: My users shouldn't be expected to pay to browser my site in anyway.
Read-Only option is free -
Maybe if Tapatalk offered a premium add-on which I paid a single fee for, and provided their app for free, I'd feel differently, but when my users are expected to pay for the app? I saw no point in even reading past that portion of their post.

Also, HTML5 is built to support web applications. Creating a mobile supported RIA is much more rewarding then requiring a paid application to be installed, as any member who has a phone (Mostly smartphones) will be able to use my site and appreciate the sexy content-rich goodness.
It is not a one or the other option, the freedom is there to have both.
I like to provide my members a choice.

The $2.99 cost of Tapatalk is damn near nominal and I prefer that over me paying $100+ as an admin- why pay for users who don't even have a compatible device let alone don't care about using it. They make a good product and deserve to get paid- I'm surprised so many here are anti-tapatalk citing costs when so many we quick to back up the XenForo team when someone asked if it could be free/open source... The bottom line is you usually get a better product when you pay for it, and if you have problems their are people's who's job it is to help you.

I doubt any mobile skin would be able to replace Tapatalk but it would still be a good idea for one.

The $2.99 cost of Tapatalk is damn near nominal and I prefer that over me paying $100+ as an admin- why pay for users who don't even have a compatible device let alone don't care about using it. They make a good product and deserve to get paid- I'm surprised so many here are anti-tapatalk citing costs when so many we quick to back up the XenForo team when someone asked if it could be free/open source... The bottom line is you usually get a better product when you pay for it, and if you have problems their are people's who's job it is to help you.

I doubt any mobile skin would be able to replace Tapatalk but it would still be a good idea for one.

I'm not anti-tapatalk over price; I don't care that it costs money, I just dislike that it costs my members money.

I would rather the application be free, and that I am able to front the cost of the modification (A site I sold earlier this year had about 70+ iPhone users I know of).

You also can't really compare how people were trying to beg for free XenForo licenses to us being 'anti-tapatalk'.

And a mobile skin can easily be done using HTML5 as its built with a large focus on the creation of RIA's.

I'm not anti-tapatalk over price; I don't care that it costs money, I just dislike that it costs my members money.
Your members may have it already for use on another forum, one never knows. I like to offer the choice and put the power in my users hands.
And a mobile skin can easily be done using HTML5 as its built with a large focus on the creation of RIA's.
Yes, HTML5 and tapatalk can coexist, there is not any: one must one or the other.

Your members may have it already for use on another forum, one never knows. I like to offer the choice and put the power in my users hands.

Yes, HTML5 and tapatalk can coexist, there is not any: one must one or the other.

The users of that site are unlikely to have visited many other forums, as they usually played games. The sites they did visit were mostly mine, and 1 or 2 others who were on SMF and phpBB.

I never said they can't co-exist; my statement was that he stated he doubted a mobile skin can compare to Tapatalk, which has been proven to be possible with the introduction of HTML5 and the innovation of smartphones in the last year or so.

If you don't want your users to pay for Tapatalk, they may be able to provide you with a custom branded version of their apps for a reasonable price which you can provide to your users for free. It's really your call. Personally, I find the Tapatalk system truly optimized for the iPhone and Android as opposed to a good mobile skin which is excellent but not in the same league.

this^^^

Its pathetic to get your members to pay to view/post on your site. Its a death wish nowadays.

Top Bottom