Will there be Tapatalk support?

BirdOPrey5

Just wondering if you guys are working with Tapatalk to have support from the launch? I ask because AVF forums seem to always be advertised with Tapatalk and I'm wondering if they'd really give that up to move to XenForo or if they will be working from the get-go.

The answer is support for both. There are advantages to using TapaTalk, especially if you have a rebranded version. My readers don't pay extra to use apps. I can be another bookmark on their phones or I could have an icon on their home screen.

On the other hand, I would love a mobile friendly site that does not require any downloads etc. in order to get the best possible experience.

Really, support for TapaTalk is up to TapaTalk. I hope they deliver it asap.

I have users who prefer it either way, and I'd rather make the most members happy. One major drawback to my personal use of Tapatalk is the lack of smilies. We have dozens of custom smilies and if they don't display, few members want to use Tapatalk. It is also missing admin features that I need to access, but I don't expect them to develop around such a small group of users.

Having said that, Tapatalk offers instant PM notification in smartphones, something a forum skin can't do. It might also be nice if Tapatalk offered instant notifications of moderation alerts (reported posts, new member signups, etc.). In our SMF forum, I've installed a mobile-compatible skin plus the Tapatalk system so users can choose what they want. I have very few Tapatalk users, but they swear by it.

BTW, based on what I've read on the Tapatalk forum, they likely won't begin looking at xF in earnest until a "gold" version comes out. I could agree with that--as a developer myself, designing around beta software is hitting a moving target.

After making the decision to switch to Xenforo (which my users really love this new stuff. I am on vB4 right now) I asked what things have to be working before we jump over. TapATalk support was #1. Most non techie users prefer apps. Why is the Facebook app so popular even when it wasn't always the best? Tapatalk takes 3 seconds to install (all you do is drop a directory in, that is it), I get an email update if there is new software, and no one is forced to buy anything. What confuses me is all the negative statements on here towards TapaTalk. Except for that annoying popup when you visit from your phone (which is optional to install) you guys act like adding TapaTalk support has pushed away readers or scared them off.

A lot of you are missing the point re Tapatalk costing your members money.

I purchased a white lable version from them. it took a few weeks to sort out.The whole process went very smoothly and now I have (via them doing all the sumbission paperwork) my own app in the iTunes store...

I have made it FREE to my members and Tapatalk worked with me to resize and serve my own private advertisers banner ads in the app..

They are cool people to work with.. (I belive it was my heads up that got them over to this forum..)

So chill with the outrage about your members having to pay.. they dont.. pay for your own app - and you will be stylin! My members LOVE it and I hope to get the Android and Blackberry going soon (but must have my ads serving in them before I slap the money down..)

SO..

BIG Tapatalk fan here... Xenforo - PLEASE work with them!

Tapatalk PLEASE fix it so I can port my forum over to Xenforo - and still keep my iPhone (and in future Android and Blackberry versions) alive with you!

The only reason I have Tapatalk installed on my vB forums is that there are no suitable mobile skins.
With a good mobile skin, there is little need for Tapatalk.

I disagree a little. I havent found a mobile skin I prefer over my gmail app, or facebook, or twitter. i can do things in less clicks and faster on a mobile app. they do narrow focus a little bit, but they are good at what they do.

Some of my migrations to XF are dependent upon TapaTalk support. I'd like to see the guys at TapaTalk provide a rough estimate of timing once XF goes gold. Let me rephrase that. I'd like them to provide a timeline before XF goes gold for how long it will take to provide support. I say this because I've been burned by VB. TapaTalk isn't vB - in fact, they've been very supportive. I'm forever scarred by my experiences with IB.

I don't want to be checking on this thread 6 months from now to see if TapaTalk is ready to support XF.

The mobile XenForo skins are coming along niceley, but for me, the biggest thing you get with Tapatalk and others, is the ability to upload photos from various supported phones.
You can't do this via a well skinned web style, so that's the main driver for me wanting Tapatalk and other phone apps to hook into XenForo.

Why is this still brought up here, as this is a 3rd party product?
confused.png
Shouldn't you guys be suggesting that over there? In fact, a cursory glance over there showed a few suggestion threads already, with a reply about it here.

BIG Tapatalk fan here... Xenforo - PLEASE work with them!
Personally, I would chose Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk, from a developer point of view.
Their code is much more structured and it was a breeze to implement Searchlight into their application, without any code modifications. Both apps have the same benefits: you can get it for free as regular user, pay for a better version or release your own branded (free for users) version into iPhone and Android stores (i.e. nasioc app).

Top Bottom