Wii U

Digital Doctor

The WiiU should have been adding a Kinect device with a motion controller.
I think Nintendo's WiiU is going to miss the mark.
Might work on a few games but ... meh.

The audiences are entirely different and the Wii had the best motion sensor up until recently (The Kinect was crappy in the first iteration and the PS3 Move has a bulky wand).

I'm talking about the weird WiiU controller.
the-wiiu-controller-revealed_vetlo_0.jpg

It's bulky and it sucks.
By their own admission Nintendo was going after "All gamers" with this.

And people have weighed in on it ....

Following Wii U Unveiling, Nintendo Shares Drop 10%
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/06/following_wii_u_unveiling_nintendo_shares_drop_10_percent

A Kinect sensing overall body movements and the Wii Motion Plus controller for more detailed movements would be the best of both worlds.

The Kinect is a game changer. The original Wii remote was a game changer.
The WiiU controller is a fail. People will stick with the Wii. Gamers won't be switching to WiiU for this.

It's bulky and it sucks.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/06/following_wii_u_unveiling_nintendo_shares_drop_10_percent

A Kinect sensing overall body movements and the Wii Motion Plus controller for more detailed movements would be the best of both worlds.

The WiiU controller is a fail. People will stick with the Wii. Gamers won't be switching to WiiU for this.
Their stock dropped with the release of the Wii, and the release of the DS (original) iirc.

From what I've heard (From Nintendo employees I know no less) the new controller will be a game changer with some of the new titles that'll be coming out. And you really can't say it sucks unless you've actually physically tried it, you can only go from your first impression.

The main drawing point of the new controller would be the touch capability (similar to the DS, which was a major selling point for it). More than likely there will be a ton of touch-based games, as well as drawing games and motion-based games. These of course will sell well with their usual audience.

Most everyone I know who owns a Wii are looking forward to it (I am also, as there are a few titles I've heard coming that would be interesting to play).

Also, a change in audience would depend on the game titles; games are what draw the players, not consoles. If they get a nice FPS, or something similar, chances are they'll increase their audience base.

We're also off-topic from the main topic :).

I know a number of folks who attended E3 this year, and the general consensus from them was that the controller looks bulky, but it's, surprisingly, pretty comfortable to hold and light. Honestly, it remains to be seen what will happen. Nintendo has been in the gaming business longer than any other game-hardware manufacturer, and they are the only survivors of the re-birth era in the early 1980s. For them to have been able to adapt so well, even during the Gamecube era, is a testament to their business. In short, I'm not going to pass my personal judgement on the WiiU until I can get it in my hands.

Although, personally, I still dislike the name Wii, but, hey, can't have everything.

I think they'll do ok. like the above person said, they've been at this for quite a long time. however, when the N64 and the playstation came out, the PS took quite a big lead and kept it. but I guess that's another story.

personally, I think the new controller looks cool. doesn't it say, I remember from a video, that you can transfer the game to the controller if (say) someone wants to watch TV? if so, that is a cool concept. this way you don't lose your point in the game. it would be even more cool to let you take the controller on the road and continue to play the game while riding in the car. this might be a selling point for kids on a long, boring family trip. and what would be really cool is to let developers make apps for it? ah... I'm going off on a tangent here...

Looks like Sony agrees with me !

PlayStation 4 to have Kinect-like controller (ahem, just like the WiiU should have done).
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388110,00.asp

The report was brief, even for DigiTimes standards. But the report claims that the console will be based on "body movement-based control like [Microsoft] Kinect," and will be manufactured by Foxconn and Pegatron technology.

I love the Wii (well .. my son does !) WiiU is going to be a big fail (based on the information known at this time).

It's bulky and it sucks.

I wasn't aware you were capable of predicting the future.

Remember when everyone said back in 2005 the Wii was going to be a huge failure?

A game like texas holdem this would be perfect for...spy vs spy type games....awesome ...hell go fish , rummy , and any other game that relies on you seeing something and not someone else is possible with this(i mean it is a controller with a dedicated monitor right?)....it's all about what get's developed for the unit and how it is marketed. Imagine a monopoly type game that allowed you to initiate a trade property or to sell or buy offer totally makes monopoly fun again.

http://wiiuupdates.com/2012/01/wiiu-features-functionality/

The nintendo company had increased my hand eye coordination at a young age so I will wait until the actual vote is in on this one.

The motion sensor thing for me has always been a hit and miss. On some games (I play on the wii mostly) it works great with wii sports, mario kart and some other games. Kinnect however is amazingly crap your jumping up and down like a lunatic and the motion of the characters within the game seem to do the opposite of what your doing.

For me, the whole motion technology still has a long way to go. It's a technology I feel won't be perfect for years to come.

The WiiU looks like a nice gadget which will be a purchase I make mainly because I'm a sucker for any new mario kart games that will most likely get released exclusively for it. Haven't tried out the motion thing on the ps3 though I suspect it'll be just as bad as the kinnect since once they start trying to use the technology in complex gaming that's where it always falls short.

It is a long way from being able to make interface devices that have awesome tolerances as far as sensory is concerned that are also not easily destructible such as from dropping them once or twice. But we play games for entertainment...and like you pointed out appropriate games for the console...for me I like playing certain games on it , things like call of duty omg no but for other games it is simple and awesome and it is has stuff I can kill an hour or two with as well as things I can play with my niece (she loves angry birds too but for that matter so do I ). Nintendo will always have my support even if their console isn't designed to run some of my favorite fps titles ...they have plenty of other fun games to play.

For now with an extra Wiimote...and this thing I built...
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/my-new-favorite-toy.7846 (almost forgot this thread some funny responses in there)

I have a poormans wacom tablet , I draw on my 40inch tv with a lightpen and draw in photoshop :) One of the best uses for 30 bucks I have spent in my life...thanks nintendo

I don't own any Nintendo products (haven't for some years now, but I wish I did have a DS or something to play the pokemon games for nostalgia) but I will be waiting for a family member to pick up a WiiU so I can give it a go. I'd just rather stick with my Xbox 360 Slim and Kinect and soon a new gaming/work PC.

Time will tell

Nope.
Well, it was stated as such. Many felt the Wii was a gimmick console that would fail to find a true audience and once again land up in third place. Clearly, that didn't happen, and considering the Wii-U isn't out yet and I doubt you've personally demoed it, it seems a bit too early to be concluding that Nintendo is finished and no one will buy it.

Look at the 3DS: also had a slow start, now it's picked up quite nicely. A combination of a price drop and some good first-party titles made a huge difference.

Well, it was stated as such. Many felt the Wii was a gimmick console that would fail.
The wii controller was a "game changer" (pun unintended), I loved it the first game I tried it (Wii Sports Resort Table tennis). I had never heard of the Wii until it was out.

Look at the 3DS: also had a slow start, now it's picked up quite nicely.
ORLY ?
http://mashable.com/2012/01/26/nintendo-sale/

I guess time will tell how well the WiiU does in terms of sales.

To me the next logical device would be Kinect, but with something else to make it "work better". To me, that would be Kinect plus a Motion Controller. By the time Nintendo's tablet controller comes out, everyone will already have an Android or Apple tablet.

The wii controller was a "game changer" (pun unintended), I loved it the first game I tried it (Wii Sports Resort Table tennis). I had never heard of the Wii until it was out.

ORLY ?
http://mashable.com/2012/01/26/nintendo-sale/

I guess time will tell how well the WiiU does in terms of sales.

To me the next logical device would be Kinect, but with something else to make it "work better". To me, that would be Kinect plus a Motion Controller. By the time Nintendo's tablet controller comes out, everyone will already have an Android or Apple tablet.

Did you even read that article? The 3DS sold more then any of their other products.

Top Bottom