Why can't I start a conversation?

Diana

I did it before and I have permissions set, but all of a sudden when I try to start a conversation I get "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I'm the admin, I have everything set to "allow."

What gives?

Setting permissions for "Maximum conversation recipients" to "unlimitted" did the trick, but I don't really understand why that would be relevant.

I've gone back and forth and this is the only way that I can get permission to open a conversation.

I don't know if this is a bug. It does seem like it is.

I've moved this to troubleshooting as it is more than likely permission and/or add-on related.

I haven't seen any other reports of this and I have max recipients set to 6 on my forum, and members have no issues with starting conversations there.

Do you have any add-ons installed?

How many groups are you a member of and what are the permission settings?

Setting permissions for "Maximum conversation recipients" to "unlimitted" did the trick, but I don't really understand why that would be relevant..
If the value was 0, then that would mean you could start a conversation with 0 people which isn't enough, so it doesn't let you start one. :)

Ok well, I think the problem started when I created another group for myself. It's too much to explain why I did that. In any case I think that was where I went wrong.

I do have addons, but I don't think that's related since I've had them before with no problem.

If the value was 0, then that would mean you could start a conversation with 0 people which isn't enough, so it doesn't let you start one. :)

Right, therein lies problem, it was set to 0 by default when I created a new group for myself.

Now I'm wondering if members who have the default value set to 5 are limitted to 5 conversations.

If that's the case, shouldn't I set the value to "unlimitted' for all registered members?

If you use your groups correctly then the original value from the Registered users group would have applied, unless you use never.

There is no distinction between primary and secondary user groups.

It is recommended however that all users have the Registered user group set as their primary user group and any additional groups they are members of are set as secondary groups. This makes it easy to manage permissions due to the cumulative nature in which they are applied.
http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/

The value is the number of participants they can invite, not the number of conversations they can start.

Ok, I'm an idiot. I'm still learning.

I was driving today and slapping my forehead as soon as I realized that it refers to the number of participants, not the number of conversations. Obviously if it's set to 0 you can't invite anyone.

Got it!

Thank you.

P.S. The lesson for me is if I create a new user group it defaults to 0 (I didn't use the registered user group as I should have to create a secondary group so there was nothing to inherit). You have to be sure to manually set the value to "5" or whatever. Something to watch out for.

We assume that when you're creating additional groups that they'll be used as secondary groups, so all the values are set to their "minimum", so you have to explicitly grant them.

For the most part, the 2 basic groups are for registered users and guests. Additional groups are then used to grant additional things to special members (allow) or potentially remove options for bad members (never). :)

Top Bottom