1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by petertdavis, Jan 17, 2012.

1. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

I need to do some optimization on a server with a single xenforo site running on it. I don't have the time or skills to do it myself. Who would you recommend I hire to help me with this?

2. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Deebs

Deebs likes this.
  3. petertdavis

Thanks, I'll give him a shout. Any other suggestions in case he's not available?

4. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Blandt, Darkimmortal

5. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Done some small optimisations this morning to the server. Let's see what the users think....

Andy.N likes this.
  6. petertdavis

As Deebs mentioned, he helped me out on this one. The server load seems to be about 10% of what it was before he waved his magic wand. The kicker is, he wouldn't even accept payment for his services, even though I practically tried to force it on him. What a guy!

7. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I told you ;)
    What was the fix, Deebs?

8. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Hi Andy,

Couple of things:
    • Install and configure APC, there was no opcode cache installed.
    • Configure MySQL to make use of the spare memory available.
    • The forum is installed using MyISAM as the default, I still need to convert his database back to InnoDB (for which XF is designed for).

9. petertdavis

BTW, when I contacted my host (Servint) their reply to my asking why the server load was so high and the site was loading slow was "upgrade" - I'm not too impressed with their response, but how much of that should I reasonably expect from a hosting company? Should they know about and be willing to things like install APC, and configure the MySQL?

10. CivilWarTalk

CivilWarTalk Active Member

I use Servint as well, I'm only 90% satisfied with their support, sometimes I ask questions about doing updates to the server, and they proceed to do the update before I'm ready, instead of answering my question.

I have also had issues since my recent upgrade, mostly memory issues. I've made a number of changes and things are better, but I know it's not optimized like it could be.

11. Will

Will Active Member

Will you notice a difference converting the database to InnoDB?