Which iPhone 6 will you get?

Which iPhone 6 will you buy?

• iPhone 6 (4.7 inches)

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inches)

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
And personally I wouldn't carry a phone in ANY pocket (other than maybe a suit jacket one).
But that's exactly what I've been doing for many years, carrying my phone(s) in the pocket. Never had any issues with this practice.

Anyway, Apple fanboys will probably never accept that poor design *might* be an attribute that also applies to some Apple devices. Nobody is perfect and overlooking something is always possible, even for highly qualified engineers. Just look elsewhere, like Boeing screwing it up with the batteries in its most recent flagship airliner which is much more of a high-tech product than any smartphone will ever be.

Glad I bought the iPhone 6 now and not the Plus :P

In a nutshell (mainly because this thread's turned into a *****fest)

- iPhone 6 is fine
- iPhone 6 Plus will bend if enough pressure is applied in the right place
- Every other phone the same size will also bend if you try too hard
- Shockingly taking a hammer to your phone may also damage it
- iOS 8.0.1 was pulled hours after release because of a cellular bug

Did I get everything?

*goes back to playing with phone*

But that's exactly what I've been doing for many years, carrying my phone(s) in the pocket. Never had any issues with this practice.

Anyway, Apple fanboys will probably never accept that poor design *might* be an attribute that also applies to some Apple devices. Nobody is perfect and overlooking something is always possible, even for highly qualified engineers. Just look elsewhere, like Boeing screwing it up with the batteries in its most recent flagship airliner which is much more of a high-tech product than any smartphone will ever be.
Let's see... I'm FAR from an Apple fanboy.
2 RAZR MAXX's, 1 M8, 1 RAZR HD, 2 Droid HD's, 1 Samsung S3, 1 iPhone 6, 2 iPhone 5s's.
Aluminum is soft.. and they probably used fairly thin shell to make it the more popular "thinner is in" routine. I'd have preferred titanium... and as much as the new phones cost you would think they would have reinforced it. Simple solution (as is being said) put a hard shell case on it. Spigen makes the Tough Armor and the Neo Hybrid - both good cases.

None. Left the iPhone after the iPhone 5. Just couldn't justify buying more of the same again. I went with the hTC One M8 and haven't looked back. :D

Let's see... I'm FAR from an Apple fanboy.
2 RAZR MAXX's, 1 M8, 1 RAZR HD, 2 Droid HD's, 1 Samsung S3, 1 iPhone 6, 2 iPhone 5s's.
Aluminum is soft.. and they probably used fairly thin shell to make it the more popular "thinner is in" routine. I'd have preferred titanium... and as much as the new phones cost you would think they would have reinforced it. Simple solution (as is being said) put a hard shell case on it. Spigen makes the Tough Armor and the Neo Hybrid - both good cases.
Yes, pure Alu is (relatively) soft, but there are ways to make it stronger and it's probably not pure Aluminum anyway, but some kind of alloy. Guessing from the many videos and images, it just seems that the frame has a weak spot around the buttons, which is perfectly understandable.

Titanium would be great, but is probably 1) too expensive and 2) maybe too heavy (almost twice the weight of Aluminum). Personally, I wouldn't mind the weight though. My HTC One is already on the heavy side - noticeable heavier than phones of similar size (or even bigger ones) and only slightly lighter than a 6plus, despite being a lot smaller. Guess why? Because it has a very solid Aluminum unibody and the frame is reinforced (on the inner side) where the buttons are. Also, the way they designed the back side of the phone gives it additional stability and it's about 2.5mm thicker (which also helps with the stability of the frame).

Looks like the trend of making phones thinner and thinner backfired slightly.

Looks like the trend of making phones thinner and thinner backfired slightly.
Yes... in this case style overtook function in the build quality. the weak spot is the button area - which could (and should) have been reinforced. Apple should have known it would bend - but this is their first attempt at a larger thin phone. :coffee:

Knowing Apple (after antenna-gate) they'll say "Don't carry it like that".:whistle:

Last edited:
Yes... in this case style overtook function in the build quality. the weak spot is the button area - which could (and should) have been reinforced. Apple should have known it would bend - but this is their first attempt at a larger thin phone. :coffee:

Knowing Apple (after antenna-gate) they'll say "Don't carry it like that".:whistle:
Apparently, they're already selling repair kits :)

iphone6repairkit.jpg

Guys, its nothing to do with aluminium being the material. It's just a weak spot. A 'bridge' on the edge would have prevented it.

As an example Apple also use Aluminium in all their Mac's - they don't bend because they run thicker lines of aluminium across the larger areas internally (i.e the back of the iMac) to strengthen it. That's the only issue here and the resolution is to just to modify the mould to add a bit of strength through lines.

It shouldn't happen obviously, but it's just one of those things. I dare say most if not all the plastic based Android phones of the same size (THICKNESS) will also bend the same.

Guys, its nothing to do with aluminium being the material. It's just a weak spot. A 'bridge' on the edge would have prevented it.
Well, that's what I wrote above. On the One, the frame is reinforced where the holes for the buttons (= weak spots) are. Also, the more curved backside of the body gives it additional stability.
It shouldn't happen obviously, but it's just one of those things. I dare say most if not all the plastic based Android phones of the same size (THICKNESS) will also bend the same.
Sure, anything will sooner or later bend, the important question is: How much force is needed to create a plastic deformation (= a deformation that does not return to its original state when forces are removed)?

It's a matter of engineering and choosing the right material is only one aspect.

I think Samsung and Apple need to talk... Samsung have a 5.5" phone that bends back, but the screen breaks... Apple have a 5.5" phone that bends, but the screen doesn't break. A little compromise, solution solved.

From what I read, they did a test on the M8 also and the LCD popped out of the frame (it was able to be popped back in though).

From what I read, they did a test on the M8 also and the LCD popped out of the frame (it was able to be popped back in though).
Don't want to test this with mine though :)

But I can imagine this easily. The Aluminum frame will always be more flexible than the display, so even a slight bend (one that returns to its original state when forces are released) might cause this. Or, if the glue that holds the display in the frame is strong enough, the display will simply break.

It's actually interesting that the display of the 6plus can bend together with the frame.

Got the Sony Xperia Z3 yesterday and I must say the screen is so much better than the iPhone :)
Which iPhone? ;) We've now got 4 different iPhone screen sizes. All screens are not created equal. Even between the 6 and 6 plus there's a big difference in their contrast abilities.

I think this independent test is interesting:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/consumer-reports-iphone-bend-test/

Puts to rest some of the hyperbolic claims so far. Although the iPhone 6 phones were two out the three least durable in the tests, it does prove somewhat that claims have so far been slightly exaggerated.

Interestingly, in this test, the iPhone 6 Plus was more durable than the iPhone 6.

It's hard to know what to believe but if Apple's statement recently was truthful then actually at the time only 9 people had complained about a bending phone. 9 out of 10 million handsets, this isn't bad odds! I'm sure the 9 will go up but being careful with the phone and ensuring it is in a case at all times will be a good way to prevent it happening to you (and that applies to any phone).

From complains, the Plus only bends on its upper part.

The test is against the middle part. The Plus does not bend at the middle part, according to the "bending" youtube reviews.

The test does not give an answer to the complains whether the Plus 6 bends. It just states it doesn't bend around its center.

I use the Plus over a week and its a fantastic phone.

They all bend. Of course as they increase the size the easier it gets to bend them.. My iPhone 5 bent at the top near the power button in an ottorbox no less. I sit on mine all day everyday. I got a new aftermarket chassis but have to get my hands on the tools to crack it open.
image.webp

Wondering how well the Life Proof cases will be at protecting the new series of iPhones? I've used those cases since they came out and they are well worth the money IMO. My iPhone 4 took a ride of the hood of my van at 35mph bounced and skid down the road and survived with only minor scratches to the case :p

Top Bottom