Where is your Xenforo Hosted?

> I'm on rackspace cloud servers now.

I feel sorry for your wallet. I recently did a comparison between Rackspace Cloud and Storm on Demand, a cloud service run by Liquid Web. You can read it here: http://cctld.dk/threads/a-prime-rackspace-example.10546/

Rackspace anything (cloud or otherwise) is, in my opinion, grossly overpriced and should be avoided.
For the 3 servers I run it costs me $70.00 a month for a 100% reliable server that is very fast. I pay a premium of the other option I was looking at of about 10-15% and it's cheaper than the VPS option I was using.

You can't compare hosting on price alone. There are a lot of other variables that add (or decrease) value.

After several enquires here and there I contracted the services with Nimbushosting, just two days with the service but seems excelent, very
professional, flexible and knowledgeable in their business plus personalized attention. Very highly recommended.

I've switched over to HostGator based on recommendations here (had small downtime this week, got angry and went straight ahead and changed). So I figure I will have to book in a lynch mob with 24 hrs cancellation notice, in case it goes wrong :rolleyes:

So far I have been happy, I put in a ticket for a full cPanel transfer, and within 24 hrs they had completely transferred my site, and the new server seems very responsive and fast. I am going to give it a week or so, but I am pretty sure I am going to cancel my hosting services with inmotion, and only use them as registrars..

Anyone using Servint?

Used them for years, had absolutely no problems but were a bit expensive for someone not really needing a managed service.

I've also used Rackspace, Linode, IntoVPS and several others. Linode has so far been my favorite, though IntoVPS is also really great.

Anyone who can say anything about HostGator or BlueHost? Thinking of switching to either one of those from Inmotion. Been with Inmotion for years without any major complains, but I feel my latest site have had more downtime than necessary. I also read a post here about inmotion not being too happy with XF, so I think I will switch before I notice their policy....

I host a personal WP blog on Bluehost.
Slow as heck.....not due to my traffic either (don't have much).

I should move it to my dedicated server, but wanted to keep my editorials and personal writing far away from my business!

I'm probably paying the most for the least of anyone here - and somewhat proud of it. That is, I have a personal relationship with a guy who I have worked with for 10+ years and a number of servers - he runs a data center and serves a lot of corporations with personal service. My stuff is too important (to me) to move around and look for the best deal.

I want to host my new Xenforo forum. It is very small right now ~75 users, will soon be around 300 as its only been 2 days and we are getting very popular quick. I would imagine 1-5gb space and 100gb bandwidth would be way more than enough starting out.

I like having cpanel/whm/phpmyadmin etc. I have a current reseller account for my own shared hosting I sell but its really cheap because its on a slow server (also why my prices are dirt cheap). I am looking for something a little more power for my forum. Generally I only host web pages, never high content like forums.

Budget 10-20$ a month.

Even though you like cPanel (and it's very useful if you're dealing with a lot of accounts/sites and need a lot of features), if you're only running a single forum I would recommend against cPanel if at all possible. In my opinion, it's simply too big of a resource hog for a single site, and it will be hard to find your own server (not shared) in your price range with cPanel. If you're up for it, I'd recommend Linode. http://www.linode.com
They have a large library of articles that walk you through setting up your own server from scratch. This would give you all the power you need (I've run Xenforo on Linode before with great success) as well as an extremely easy upgrade path when you start to grow. If you're up for it, I'd totally be willing to help you get setup and going. Linode is a great platform and fits what you need extremely well.

I've been using www.stablehost.com for some time now and of the hosting companies we have used these have proven to be the best for us for hosting any type of forum software. They also have some good reviews on www.webhostingtalk.com and their support is very helpful, quick and friendly.

Top Bottom