Where is your Xenforo Hosted?

I host my XF board on my dedicated server from iWeb.
Intel Core i3 Dual Core 3.06GHz
4GB of RAM
2x 1TB HDD (RAID 1 Software)
100MB port speed
20TB Monthly Bandwidth

This thing is a tank, hosts more than 5 other active websites and other stuff in the background. Got this server at an unbeatable price (Sale with the price being lifetime)

I was with Vidahost for a number of years their support is excellent, I had their cloud offering but ultimately started to experience limitations with that and switched away. I now use them for domains.

Would be interested to know what limitations??Not noticed anything obvious, but would be good for a heads up before i stumble across it :D

Cheers
Paul

Would be interested to know what limitations??Not noticed anything obvious, but would be good for a heads up before i stumble across it :D

Cheers
Paul
I was one of the first people beta testing the cloud offering way back and eventually decided to move my forum across, all was well for a while but then I began to notice that things slowed down. Pages began to take longer to load and I could see no benefit of their cloud over their existing more established shared host package. It's not like it was bad, overall they're excellent hosts, Dom and Seb were fantastic with helping me out but the cloud isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Oh the killer was when I attempted to cancel my prepaid Cloud account with them, I asked for a refund on what I had left which was about 27 days out of the month got told flat out no by Seb because it was in their new t&c's that they don't do refunds????!!!! (which I had never agreed to because I had never actually went through the normal signup process for the Cloud, they switched me to Cloud their end).

Interesting - i'm starting to see pages slowing, and thats around 4 months after initial cloud install. Dont get me wrong, it's not a show stopper, just interesting that it's not just me thats seen the same thing....

Thanks for the heads up. Will see what happens...

Paul

Update.

Dom @ Vidahost sent me an email today. To be fair to Dom he explained things from their side about the T&C's Issue I encountered and he acknowledged that they may have had a problem with there DB server but that they've upgraded that now.

He reached out after reading my posts here and it just further backs up how good their customer support is.

Got my refund credited back against my account.

I'm happy. Thank you Dom.

Anyone who can say anything about HostGator or BlueHost? Thinking of switching to either one of those from Inmotion. Been with Inmotion for years without any major complains, but I feel my latest site have had more downtime than necessary. I also read a post here about inmotion not being too happy with XF, so I think I will switch before I notice their policy....

I am on HostGator right now, but they are worthless when your forum picks of speed (at this means having few tens of posts a day). Got a 300 visits/day forum suspended since it used too much CPU and a blog with 100 visits/day. Let's say their services are going seriously downhill as they think they're too big to fail.

HostGator has a lot of different plans. You can't just say "HostGator is worthless" unless you've used all of them.

In general, if you cheap out and try to host anything on a $2 or $3 account, you shouldn't be surprised that it's worthless. It has no worth because you are paying no money. That's how the world works. And that's definitely how hosting works.

I am on HostGator right now, but they are worthless when your forum picks of speed (at this means having few tens of posts a day). Got a 300 visits/day forum suspended since it used too much CPU and a blog with 100 visits/day. Let's say their services are going seriously downhill as they think they're too big to fail.
CPU usage isn't depending on visitors, at least not what my host told me when I got that warning (pretty much knew what caused, but I had no way of disabling it, cause they even locked me out of CPanel). If you have more details, I would be interested to hear it. I only intend on running XF, and a few mods, so nothing major.

HostGator has a lot of different plans. You can't just say "HostGator is worthless" unless you've used all of them.

In general, if you cheap out and try to host anything on a $2 or $3 account, you shouldn't be surprised that it's worthless. It has no worth because you are paying no money. That's how the world works. And that's definitely how hosting works.
I planned on going for their business class hosting, though not a VPS, and not their "personal" plans, as those really don't suite my needs.

I have done some comparisons, and BlueHost seems to offer better value, but I am really interested in hearing peoples experiences.

Anyone who can say anything about HostGator or BlueHost? Thinking of switching to either one of those from Inmotion. Been with Inmotion for years without any major complains, but I feel my latest site have had more downtime than necessary. I also read a post here about inmotion not being too happy with XF, so I think I will switch before I notice their policy....

Go right ahead and get a hostgator vps, they run just fine....just pick the level you need.

Not at all a fail. I have used them for over 2 years now and I have cron jobs that run constantly, have 20 domains that I use personally at this time on this server as well as host quite a few peoples sites and xenforo forums all with no noticeable downfall....this all while and including the persistent script kiddies who think they are actually doing something by running a malicious method of anothers....and with all that I can't see much of a difference from when I first deployed the server and setup the first domain.

I have to agree with you here. If you host your site for 2 or 3 dollars a month , don't expect much. The desktop I am sitting at currently costs 2 or 3 dollars a week at least just for the electricity to run it.

Go right ahead and get a hostgator vps, they run just fine....just pick the level you need.

Not at all a fail. I have used them for over 2 years now and I have cron jobs that run constantly, have 20 domains that I use personally at this time on this server as well as host quite a few peoples sites and xenforo forums all with no noticeable downfall....this all while and including the persistent script kiddies who think they are actually doing something by running a malicious method of anothers....and with all that I can't see much of a difference from when I first deployed the server and setup the first domain.

I have to agree with you here. If you host your site for 2 or 3 dollars a month , don't expect much. The desktop I am sitting at currently costs 2 or 3 dollars a week at least just for the electricity to run it.

Reading most of the material available here and in other forums about Hosting Providers I can not conclude with a complete answer to my questions, there are so much hosting providers mostly good companies others not so good, but all them offer hosting services starting at few dollars a month up to 200 hundred or more with a dedicated server, so I think that recommending a hosting provider requires also to mention how much they are paying and what they are receiving in terms of services, equipment, type of server, etc., in order to have a clear reference and compare apples with apples.

I am not looking for VPS, that is a bit out of budget for me ATM, and it is a bit overkill for me as well. I don't think my site can justify the cost of a VPS. You have any experience with their shared service?

Being an old phpBB user, I am partial towards BlueHost, but I think allot of the good will they get from that community stems from the fact that they are affiliates...

I am not looking for VPS, that is a bit out of budget for me ATM, and it is a bit overkill for me as well. I don't think my site can justify the cost of a VPS. You have any experience with their shared service?
yes I started with them from an offer from se7ensins.com back in the day with hosting for a penny. At the time se7ensins did a promotion with host gator offering their service to the members. I would not be here if it was not for se7ensins.com and hostgator.com and I have not had a problem that was their fault since then. Either way...that is where I started before I moved up in server specs. It suited just for a while just fine when I just started learning, but I needed more control and resources as time went on and I and my server needs moved up.

I'm on rackspace cloud servers now. 1 mysql server 1gb ram 1 web server 1gb ram, and 1 dev server with my svn repos and a test apache/mysql instance on it 512mb ram.

I did some testing and their built in system to load balance works great in this scenario as well. You just have to pick one web server to be the "master" to have files uploaded to and sync from.

Cost is about 70 a month and I run 1 Xenforo and 3 wordpress instances off of this setup.

Top Bottom