When is the next XF update?

xihouston

I've been waiting for a really long time for XenForo to have an update. Does anyone know when this is going to happen?

- Houston

I've been waiting for a really long time for XenForo to have an update. Does anyone know when this is going to happen?

- Houston
Development is temporarily on hold while the lawsuit and other matters are resolved.

There is no current ETA. So, unfortunately, there isn't an answer to your question.

Is there any particular bug fix, or feature you need?

- Houston

Just for discussion sake, what particular features have you been waiting for?

There has not been a single feature that I haven't been able to find an add-on for.....in fact, I usually have to hold myself back and ask "self, do you really need that add-on?".

The ability to add target=_blank to internal links within post content. (y)

That would be VERY nice.
Also editing the Whats New page to Hide threads not relevant to me. I kn ow there's an addon but I don't need it on my sites. They're too small. But I DO need it here. So it needs to be core.
(I'm honestly not one to "call for core" normally buyt this is really important - it will be hell once the guys sdtart developing again and the board here explodes again. I'm actually dreading it! - in a way.)
Also seeing both participants of a Conversation. Again there's a very good addon but it doesnt help here.

Neither of those are mega though and I'll get nagging once the boys get back on the job.

Development is temporarily on hold while the lawsuit and other matters are resolved.

There is no current ETA. So, unfortunately, there isn't an answer to your question.

Is there any particular bug fix, or feature you need?

Not really, I just like seeing new features!

Given all the possibilities, it's unlikely that all the "pet" features will be included in any update anyway. I'm probably scared of updates, because they are sometimes known for breaking things! After all the add-ons and small mods I have done, it's gonna be tough for updates not to make a lot of work.

I'll probably wait 6 months to a year after an update comes out to even install it!

Given all the possibilities, it's unlikely that all the "pet" features will be included in any update anyway. I'm probably scared of updates, because they are sometimes known for breaking things! After all the add-ons and small mods I have done, it's gonna be tough for updates not to make a lot of work.

I'll probably wait 6 months to a year after an update comes out to even install it!

Give xenforo some credit. You must be thinking of another software.

I've made significant alterations to my sites, and with atleast 4 styles heavily modified total time to update. 5 minutes.

Are you sure, your using xenforo? Since your talking like people are two year old kids that should be afraid of updating I think your actually putting down one of the good reasons most people enjoy using xenforo. Can't take your post seriously at all it's another form of fear mongering but at the other end of the spectrum.

*laughs and facepalms at post*

Reactions: vVv

I've made significant alterations to my sites, and with atleast 4 styles heavily modified total time to update. 5 minutes.

Are you sure, your using xenforo? Since your talking like people are two year old kids that should be afraid of updating I think your actually putting down one of the good reasons most people enjoy using xenforo. Can't take your post seriously at all it's another form of fear mongering but at the other end of the spectrum.

My Adept style won't take any longer than ~5-10 minutes, and that's mostly because I rewrote a lot of the PAGE_CONTAINER template :x.

I'm dead serious. I look at a forum as the content, not the fashion part. I look at software in 5 or 10 years cycles, having had my site for 17+ years. My job is made much easier when something just keeps working.

This goes with other software too - using Adobe PS Elements 6, while current version is 11. I'm using FM Pro at least 4 versions old. My Mac Pro is two systems behind.

If the tool does 98% of the job, I'm sure not going to update it to something that may not.

The exception is stuff like Chrome, where I always use the newest version.

XF may be much tougher than I think. But I've already experienced problems with tapatalk, with certain add-ons, etc.

When the big updates come out, I'll do a lot of checking first and let others find out how stable it is with add-ons, etc. before I do. Yeah, I'm conservative....but so are airline pilots, scuba divers and many others!
;)

I'm dead serious. I look at a forum as the content, not the fashion part. I look at software in 5 or 10 years cycles, having had my site for 17+ years. My job is made much easier when something just keeps working.

This goes with other software too - using Adobe PS Elements 6, while current version is 11. I'm using FM Pro at least 4 versions old. My Mac Pro is two systems behind.

If the tool does 98% of the job, I'm sure not going to update it to something that may not.

The exception is stuff like Chrome, where I always use the newest version.

XF may be much tougher than I think. But I've already experienced problems with tapatalk, with certain add-ons, etc.

When the big updates come out, I'll do a lot of checking first and let others find out how stable it is with add-ons, etc. before I do. Yeah, I'm conservative....but so are airline pilots, scuba divers and many others!
;)
Most issues with add-ons are either because they're coded poorly, or because theres a conflict with another app that is coded poorly.

I've had very few issues, and I've had almost none with upgrades.

The only issues i ever have upgrading my heavily modded forums is when i forget to adjust an image path or something similar.. Ive only had one plugin not play nice during an upgrade and that particular resource was re modded to be more efficient by Kier himself.. (I also believe it may have been a Version 1 beta update)

Really for the most part updating XF is a pleasure.. Maybe why so many of us want a treason reason (lol freudian slip not intentional) to update our software.. I mean its certainly not like we are doing it every second and third Tuesday of every month with subsequent patches.

Understand your long term view and I admire your caution.
Also I've seen that Tapatalk does throw up stuff. When I see lots of support requests like thart it speaks for itself.

Otherwise like others Ive not had troubles with addons. Where something doesnt make sense I always get helped fast and efficiently. What have you had problems with, and did you get the support you needed?

My history upgrading scores of sites, spanning hundreds of upgrades tells another story. I suppose you have to say what you have to say because there's zero development so we're now thinking upgrading is bad. You're certainly not educating people here but rather scaring them off with the thought of upgrading. But like i said if development continues and an update comes out i'm sure the mind set will differ. I'll even have a pretend surprised look on my face.

My history upgrading scores of sites, spanning hundreds of upgrades tells another story. I suppose you have to say what you have to say because there's zero development so we're now thinking upgrading is bad. You're certainly not educating people here but rather scaring them off with the thought of upgrading. But like i said if development continues and an update comes out i'm sure the mind set will differ. I'll even have a pretend surprised look on my face.

Shelley, relax a little, craigiri just wants to be cautious - for his site - and that's okay. He's not putting anyone off, he's just saying how he likes to hold back a bit. (y)

The quality of XF upgrades have been high and I have far less reservation about uploading and applying them than I did with my previous software. ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Shelley, relax a little, craigiri just wants to be cautious - for his site - and that's okay. He's not putting anyone off, he's just saying how he likes to hold back a bit. (y)

The quality of XF upgrades have been high and I have far less reservation about uploading and applying them than I did with my previous software. ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I'm relaxed. I'm simply telling my experiences as were others in this thread. Any reason why you should quote me only? ;) Oh yeah, upgrading is BAD

A: when-is-the-next-xf-update ?
Q: When it's ready !
No chance of any non-critical update before the trial​

Here's an example of what could have been said instead of scaring people to think "UPGRADING IS BAD" 5 updates 5 years to make? I don't think so. Not with xenforo.

Top Bottom