What's the difference between XenForo and vBulletin?

Preemo

I'm not an expert with either of the 2 forum softwares, however I am looking at buying one soon.

I'm already swinging towards XenForo, so I'd prefer anyone to tell me the advantages compared to vBulletin ;)

Thank you,
Ryan

I have experience with vBulletin since 2001 and I'm a Xenforo customer since the beginning (2010). The main pros for Xenforo are
  • good user interface, very easy to use for the users
  • way more easy to make styles (according to my designer)
  • the search engines love it
  • very stable product
  • so far no broken promises
Are there any things I don't like with Xenforo? Sure. But besides the fact that the development could be faster there are only very minor annoyances.

I'm not an expert with either of the 2 forum softwares, however I am looking at buying one soon.

I'm already swinging towards XenForo, so I'd prefer anyone to tell me the advantages compared to vBulletin ;)

Thank you,
Ryan
There both the same as in a forum xenforo fix bugs vb seem not too.

If you are new to forums and this is for a new forum that doesn't currently exist, then just go with Xenforo. You won't be missing features you don't know about and your users will have no prior experience with your forum and thus they too will not be missing anything.

If you are serious about the forum, as in you have a business and a marketing plan for it and it can realistically become a revenue generating site, then I'd suggest to buy the three viable commercial scripts (IPB, vB, XF) and thoroughly test out which one fits your needs the best at this time without consideration what may or may not happen in the future. I'd make that choice based on logic and rationale rather than on emotion.

why is that GIF missing some parts?

love_your_job.gif

Xenforo is faster, and a better user experience than vB.
I found vBulletin harder to administrate as well ... so many million features - it was overwhelming.
vB was great software.
was. The vBulletin 3.x series will go down as the golden age of forums.
vB4 was a total disaster, and still is. vBulletin 4 is almost usable now, if your standards are low.
I didn't want to leave vBulletin, but I couldn't pick inferior software either. Now that vBulletin is run by a large American Corporation it performs and feels like a bloated mess.
Xenforo is missing some things that super picky and experienced admins want: Ignore features, thread prefixes, and a robust gallery. Those things will be relatively easy to fix. Fixing the utter mess that is vBulletin 4 might prove impossible.

If you give details of your plans, I would give you an honest opinion of whether or not vBulletin or Xenforo is better.

I think xenforo could be classify as framework not just a forum software ..
I built many projects on vBulletin's framework. The procedural style code that was employed made for a more difficult time creating some of these. XenForo's framework was more thought out (in a time when you had "frameworks") and much easier to extend. I thoroughly enjoy my projects on XenForo and have plans for quite a bit more in the future.

Top Bottom