What's New Page by AddonsLab

What's New Page by AddonsLab [Paid] 1.0.0

No permission to buy ($9.99)

AddonsLab

AddonsLab submitted a new resource:

What's New Page by AddonsLab - An overview page showing all new content from XenForo and installed add-ons

Add-On Information

This add-on implements a new What's New page in XenForo 1.x. The page is meant to be a central place where all new content from default content types (posts, profile posts), as well as third-party add-ons, is shown.

The add-on is built based on XenForo coding standards on how an add-on should implement a "New Items" page, and all add-ons following this standard will be supported. Our add-on will detect the tabs on the page, no matter how many of...

Read more about this resource...

Very interesting!!! is someone already using it with bob's addons (or other addons)?

@AddonsLab
  1. is it possible to chose the order in which content types are listed?
  2. is it possible to have multiple overviews displaying only some specified content types?

Hello, @Kintaro !

• is it possible to chose the order in which content types are listed?
  • is it possible to have multiple overviews displaying only some specified content types?

The answer to both questions is No, and the main reason for this is product's aim to support third-parties without any need to hard-code any add-on specific information. The way the product works is catching the URLs of the tabs, that are going to be added to the page on runtime, when the What's New Page page is being generated, then using these URLs (and the titles of the tabs) to build the page. So, if there will be some add-on, that will switch New Profile Posts and New Posts tabs with places, our product will have the profile posts show on top of new posts as well. If any add-on will add its own tab in front of New Posts tab, the section showing add-on content will be added on top of the page.

The add-ons/tabs, that are going to be shown on this page are not known anywhere else except the front-end, at the time of the page loading, so it is technically challenging to create admin panel options, that give you some choice (order of the content, the sections enabled) and keep being add-on agnostic, so most likely we will not implement any of options mentioned in future.

The add-on has a demo version freely available on our website (requires IonCube loader to run), so feel free to give it a try.

Thank you!

I have installed this addon, but have no clue how to activate the licence in your system. Its not possible to edit my license, enter my URL, nor copy the license key. So I cant activate the product on my site. Meanwhile it shows a red warning at the bottom of my site.

I have uninstalled it for now.

I have installed this addon, but have no clue how to activate the licence in your system. Its not possible to edit my license, enter my URL, nor copy the license key. So I cant activate the product on my site. Meanwhile it shows a red warning at the bottom of my site.

I have uninstalled it for now.

License Key field is not editable, but it is selectable and you can copy the license key. Simply install the add-on and put the license key you have copied in product's settings page. Once you save the setting you will immediately see licensing information on that page. Site name and IP will be updated on our site, and they are not manually editable.

Just let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

It does not copy in Firefox. When I select it the cursor changes to a no access sign.
How does your site retrieve the URL? Is there a callback involved?

I was able to copy it in Chrome. Which shows the no access sign as well and therefore had no right click function to copy.

It does not copy in Firefox. When I select it the cursor changes to a no access sign.
How does your site retrieve the URL? Is there a callback involved?

Thank you for the report. It works for us on Chrome with CMD+C, but on Firefox it does not work. We will apply a fix for this asap.

> How does your site retrieve the URL? Is there a callback involved?

Yes, there is a callback involved at installation/upgrade time and when editing/saving product options and no callbacks ever run on front-end or via a cron job. The information is on product's description page with a link to https://addonslab.com/threads/product-licensing-information.81/ for further details.

Thank you!

I am encountering the following issues:
  1. It takes 3 seconds for each section to load.
  2. Vaultwiki new wiki entries CSS does not render. Please consult with @pegasus
  3. We have a *lot* of content types. Core & addons do not have separate settings for how many items per page but either use the XF messageOptions or Addon global settings. Which means that the page gets extremely long if you get top the bottom and have 20-25 items per content type for 16 content types. Some content types do not generate much new content so it will display very old content from months ago.

@Alfa1

> It takes 3 seconds for each section to load.

Each section is loaded using a separate request. The request is done exactly as it is done when using the "New posts" or any other "new" page. So if it takes 3 seconds to load, it means it takes 3 seconds to load the appropriate pages as well.

> Vaultwiki new wiki entries CSS does not render. Please consult with @pegasus

We have already contacted him to get a license for Link Checker implementation but didn't get a reply. We will check this if we get the license.

As for 3, please let us know what is your suggestion, how to address the issue. As you have noticed, the product follows XenForo and add-on options on how many items to show, so there is no particular issue we could fix in the product, but it is a specific use case for your board. If you need any specific solution for your board, feel free to contact us and we will discuss your requirements.

Thank you!

As for 3, please let us know what is your suggestion, how to address the issue.
It would be nice if there would be a global setting for how many items to display per section. Optimally it would be possible to set per content type.

It would be nice if there would be a global setting for how many items to display per section. Optimally it would be possible to set per content type.

Thank you for the suggestion. Each and every content type has its own way of fetching the data and limiting it. Implementing an option to limit the number of items, either global or per content type, would mean we would have to check and understand how each add-on works, and implement specific check and modification for it. Unfortunately, this is not something we can consider to implement in terms of support for this simple add-on. So, the add-on is developed and provided as it is described - making the tabs to appear on one page with lazy-loading of content as soon as user scrolls to the block, and we can not implement any add-on specific functionality in it. Feel free to contact us if you want us to implement any custom functionality for your board and we will provide the terms to handle the changes. If the add-on is not usable in its current state and you do not want to use it, just let us know via a ticket and we will issue a refund asap.

Thank you!

I see. As I understand from the description there, the issue is due to Vaultwiki not using XenForo CSS system in a way it is supposed to be used in XenForo 1.x which causes the issue, so it seems there is no specific problem to address in our product. I guess the only part I could comment is:

There is no way to overcome this limitation short of the What's New app not using JSON to load the results.

- we request different content providers/add-ons to provide the page content, and the response is in JSON, but part of that JSON response is a fully rendered template. This is how XenForo loads additional content in all cases, which involve updating the page with some additional markup/blocks, so there is simply no other way to do what we did now.

The addon shows up on Chris D's Addon installer as if there is a new version. Which there is not. This is likely because the addon lists a version of 1.0 instead of 1.0.0

The addon shows up on Chris D's Addon installer as if there is a new version. Which there is not. This is likely because the addon lists a version of 1.0 instead of 1.0.0

Thank you for the report. The issue is fixed now, you can now download the package from our server and install it which will correct the version number.

Thank you!

Please add a link to recent-activity to the 'Whats new' drop down.

Hello!

The link can be added easily using the template alwn_tab_links The loop in the template is the one automatically generating links to different "new" content pages. Before or after the list you can add your own links:

Code:
<li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase recent_activity}</a></li>

The reason we can't add the link to the product is that Recent Activity is not per se a "new content" page and does not fit in product's original meaning. Also, adding a link would mean we could also have a tab with that content, which we don't have.

Just let us know if you need anything else.

Thank you!

Thank you for the code. IMHO recent activity = new activity and therefore it belongs under 'whats new' drop down. It does indeed contain read content. But read content is still new. It fits much better under 'whats new' than under 'members' which is why it has been moved there in XF2.

Thank you for the code. IMHO recent activity = new activity and therefore it belongs under 'whats new' drop down. It does indeed contain read content. But read content is still new. It fits much better under 'whats new' than under 'members' which is why it has been moved there in XF2.

I see, that makes sense. However, adding a link to the product would make the customers expect the page to have What's New page to have that content as well, which it does not have (and less likely we will implement it as its back-end is implemented in a completely different way compared to other "New content" pages).

Thank you!

Top Bottom