What's New Digest

What's New Digest 5.0.6

No permission to download
Important breaking changes for v5.0 of this addon:
  1. the default option is now to honour the "Receive new and update emails" option in user preferences. You will need to turn this off in the settings to retain the previous behaviour.
  2. if you use either of my SparkPostMail addons (v1.x or v2.x), you must install the What's New Digest adapter for SparkPost addon - some integration functionality has been removed from this addon to the separate adapter addon to maximise compatibility across XF versions.

Nice, so that means it will honour the "Receive new and update emails" on the registration form too.

I guess it is recommended to disable the Activity summary email in XF2.2. if using this add-on, right?

What's the difference between this addon and core feature which comes on xf2. 2?

The Activity summary emails are similar - but serve a slightly different purpose.

The key difference is in when they are sent.

What's New Digest

Emails are sent daily, weekly or monthly (or not at all) - depending on the preference of the user.

This is intended to maintain frequent interaction with the community and is especially useful for low volume sites where you want to keep prompting members to contribute regularly.

The original design for this addon was based on requirements of one of my clients who runs a small private discussion forum with less than 100 members - we send out a daily summary email to members.

This is a user-driven system where the user can choose how frequently they receive emails.

Customisation of the emails sent is limited - it only sends a list of new and a list of updated threads based on criteria set by the admin and respecting user permissions.

XenForo Activity Summary

Emails are sent based on inactivity. They aren't sent until a user has reached the minimum inactivity threshold and then are sent regularly based on admin preference - but only while the user is inactive.

This is intended to re-engage with members who haven't visited in some time.

This is an admin-driven system where users don't get to choose how frequently emails are sent (but of course, they can turn them off).

There is a lot more flexibility in what types of content are included and it would be extensible to include other types of content as well.

Which should I use?

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.

You could use both - since they do serve a different purpose, but once a user becomes "inactive" according to the Activity Summary system, then they will potentially receive both emails, which might not be ideal - but it also might work well to re-engage the user.

I do expect that a lot of users will find that the built-in XenForo Activity summary does everything they need and they will no longer use this What's New Digest addon.

One more feature I need is a text box between title and list of threads to put some contents (like ads, announcements and so on) writable in some way from admin area.

FYI - this functionality is now included in v5.0

I hope/guess there is something like a batch-management?
Because i get 500er after some time, while trying to send mails to all users in a larger forum.

Emails are generated by a cron task and sent using the XenForo mail queue. So unless you've disabled the mail queue in config.php, you should be fine.

I guess if you have enough users who qualify to receive the digest email, the cron task could have difficulty creating all those mail queue entries - but I don't know what the limitations are there. It would be very much dependent on your server and database configuration as to how long it might take to create them all.

FYI in v5.0 I use a job with batch management to generate the emails - which are then put on the mail queue for sending.

There should be no restrictions on how many users we can send mails to now.

Nice, so that means it will honour the "Receive new and update emails" on the registration form too.

I guess it is recommended to disable the Activity summary email in XF2.2. if using this add-on, right?

Yes, if the user deselects the option to receive admin emails - and you have the option to honour that setting enabled in the addon settings - then the user will not receive any digest emails.

Similarly, if they choose to receive emails and you have a default frequency set - then they will receive the digest email even if they haven't subscribed to them.

As far as disabling Activity summary emails - it depends on what you are trying to achieve - there is a bit of overlap, but they are intended for fundamentally different things. See my description of the differences in an earlier post.

In brief - Digest emails are sent regardless of user activity (with an option to stop sending if the user has been inactive for more than 180 days) - while Activity Summary emails are only sent once a user is deemed inactive (for an admin specified number of days).

I guess it might be useful to have an option to turn off sending digest emails to users if they become inactive such that they will then start receiving Activity Summary emails instead:
  1. receive regular digest emails while they are active
  2. once user becomes inactive (for a period based on Activity Summary email settings) then stop sending digest emails - they will receive Activity Summary emails instead.
I might look at implementing that as an option for v5.1

I guess it might be useful to have an option to turn off sending digest emails to users if they become inactive such that they will then start receiving Activity Summary emails instead:
  1. receive regular digest emails while they are active
  2. once user becomes inactive (for a period based on Activity Summary email settings) then stop sending digest emails - they will receive Activity Summary emails instead.
I might look at implementing that as an option for v5.1
That would be a very useful option. That way they will not receive 2 emails when becoming inactive, which makes more sense.

Thank you.

Reactions: Sim
Digest just sent out 95 duplicate emails. It appears that they were all sent to me.

There's not much I can do with that information.

Can you send me more details via private conversation or forward me some of the emails?

You could also install my Monolog Logging Service addon which the What's New Digest uses to log all sent emails for debugging purposes.

If you do install it, turn on logging to a file, and set Log File Minimum Log Level to Debug temporarily to gather as much info as possible.

Normally I'd have the log level set to Warning if I wanted only minimal logging information, or Info if I have unix log rotation set up - it can generate a lot of data if you're sending a lot of digest emails - but if you set it to debug for a while, we'll get more useful information.

Your not the only one I have had to delete just over 250 emails and the worst part not only to me but all members who had this turned on

Nope definitely not, not for me anyways

Which version are you running?

Can you put the addon into test mode for now so that emails go to you only?

Please send me as much detail as you can about the emails you received.

If possible, it would be great if you could install the Monolog addon and put it into debug mode - and send me any log files created by the What's New Digest addon.

Which version are you running?

Can you put the addon into test mode for now so that emails go to you only?

Please send me as much detail as you can about the emails you received.

If possible, it would be great if you could install the Monolog addon and put it into debug mode - and send me any log files created by the What's New Digest addon.
V2.2.0 beta 6

Just this second put it into test mode

Just installed monolog just waiting on an email which could be delayed will the amount of emails been sent out, I will message you the email now.

Top Bottom