Whats going on with XF ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExpertPixels.com

No major updates in recent times, Kier never seems to be online, there are a lot of worried people regarding the future of XF.. Quality hard working staff leaving etc etc..

I would like to use XF for about 3-4 upcoming projects, but the overall feeling around here just doesn't help make a decision.. IPB / VB haven't been great in recent years but are finally stepping up their game..

Can anyone shed some light on this matter ?

Regards, Darren

A case of Arrested Development.

You should make your decision on what you see is what you get. If Xenforo and current add-on's will best serve your purpose for next year or two, then you should go with it.

That was my decision a few months ago.

Damned if you do and Damned if you dont.. On one hand i have no regrets but on the other hand i have some concerns regarding longevity. At the end of the day your just going to have to go with your gut.. Only a small handful of people have any inside information and there lips are sealed tight at the moment.

No major updates in recent times, Kier never seems to be online, there are a lot of worried people regarding the future of XF.. Quality hard working staff leaving etc etc..

On those points...

1) 1.1.3 was released 2 months ago. That is the most recent release. 1.2 has been delayed. The popular feature in 1.2 is the mobile style. If mobile support is important to you then you may wish to wait. Or there is a third party mobile style you can use:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfs-mobile-style.290/

Tapatalk is also a popular mobile app that supports XF:

http://tapatalk.com/

Tapatalk's support forum actually runs XF.

2) I see Kier online regularly. Though he might be invisible. As a moderator I can see invisible people so I'm not sure.

3) See this thread for worried people:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/the-concern-thread.34838/

Unfortunately I had to lock it because it was getting out of hand. People attacking each other and stuff.

XenForo has been fighting a lawsuit for nearly 2 years which has eaten up all the money. That has consequences. If that worries you then you may wish to delay your purchase. But I think most people recognize that the lawsuit is frivolous and it's just a matter of time until XF wins. The trial date is currently set for January 15, 2013. Personally I am not worried.

4) As for people leaving, you must be talking about Brogan since he is the only one. He left for two reasons that I am aware of:

a) he wasn't getting any help with moderation and support.

b) he felt KAM should be more transparent about the business / software.

Well I have since taken on his mantle as the most active moderator, and I'm not going anywhere. Though many people agree with Brogan that KAM should be more transparent. The lawsuit means there has been no money for 3 years. That has consequences.

I would like to use XF for about 3-4 upcoming projects

What projects? Let me know if you have any specific requirements. I can help you put everything together.

As a previous and future customer i was just simply asking that's all... when i comit to a project i go in head first.. just once i start my projet im not going to have time to be merging to other platforms or even worse having to build my own from the ground up..

Appreciate that feedback tho...

It would be nice if we just got a honest posts for the devs explaining what is going on that's all.

Regards, Darren

As a previous and future customer i was just simply asking that's all... when i comit to a project i go in head first.. just once i start my projet im not going to have time to be merging to other platforms or even worse having to build my own from the ground up..

Appreciate that feedback tho...

It would be nice if we just got a honest posts for the devs explaining what is going on that's all.

Regards, Darren

But I think we have that. We know roughly what will be in the next release, when it's ready. What we don't know is the exact date on which it will be ready. If you're at all familiar with past XF releases, you understand that they won't release until it's ready -- and won't hesitate to delay a release if it's not ready. It keeps us in suspense but we get a better product -- much better than releasing bugs on schedule.

I use XF for 6 projects. For easy of installation and ease of administration, it beats vBulletin + vBSEO hands down, and I only have to license one product per site instead of two.

The lawsuit means there has been no money for 3 years. That has consequences.

Sorry if I am not supposed to ask but does lawsuit states anywhere that no add-ons can be released? I mean I have seen Resource Manager on this forum since a while. If it's released, I believe their would be at least 1000 licenses sold and that would make 50k$ in just few months... 50 grands is better then nothing...

Nobody is going to read this, but I will say it anyway. This is the way I look at it, we have a great forum software that is currently available for purchase. If you all look through the threads where people converted their forum, you will see it is indeed awesome forum software.

Now, the developers of this software are getting sued by the company they use to work for. This leaves two outcomes

1) IB loses (in which case, your xenforo software will still be developed)
2) Xenforo loses (in which case, your xenforo software will still be developed)

I think if IB wins, they will be stupid not to acquire and support xenforo. Chances are (should they win) they will acquire it. Regardless, your forum software will be supported. Now, if on general principal you would not want the software anymore you can always start making plans now as to which forum software you will be moving your community to.

Given Brogans post the other day, it made me think one single thing. There is a possibility that IB and Xenforo will settle out of court. Even if this is true, again, your software will be supported.

There really is nothing to worry about in my opinion. The best case scenario is Xenforo wins and the developers continue building the software. WORST case scenario is IB wins and continues building the software. Either way, I believe Xenforo will not "die". Worst case is ownership changes.

So, I think any new user should purchase a copy. You get **** done really quick with this software, and it seems to make for a happy community.

Edit - I believe Xenforo will win this. If they don't, it will show that as long as you have money the little guy does not matter - even though he is better than you are.

Oh, maybe it was already moved when I linked it. I didn't realize it had been moved. That thread is easy to summarize. Some people are concerned about the lack of activity from KAM on the forum, and about 1.2 being delayed. That is all of the substance. The rest is fighting which is why I had to close it.

So that's it... people are concerned, as is the OP. Nothing new there. If you are concerned then you probably shouldn't buy more licenses. I am not going to persuade you otherwise. But I can help with questions about the software, your requirements, the lawsuit, etc. I am well versed.

Sorry guys. No more recruiting on this forum. The discussion turned into a mud slinging contest last time when I let you speak freely and unmoderated. If you want to do that again then you will have to find another venue. Perhaps purchase a XF license and start a new forum.

edit - aaaand a lock. People keep trying to recruit and I don't have time to constantly monitor this thread. I need to go work on repairing a forum database.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom