Other What to do With a Developer you hired but Can't reach?

To keep things out in the open, I believe this may be in relation to a project @yavuz contacted me about over a year ago. I agreed to work on it but after completing some work it became clear that I wouldn't have time to complete the job so we agreed that he would find someone else.

Regrettably I wasn't always as responsive as I could have been, but it all came good in the end. I didn't charge for any work I had already completed. I think I actually did a similar thing with @Adam Howard at one point.

But I believe @yavuz to be talking about another developer. But I just wanted to end some of the speculation straight away :)
You've always remained professional, friendly, and clear in communication with regards to any add-on or paid development. I have no complaints about you on your level of professionalism and customer service.... As such I continue to recommend you along with others on my short list. :)

I hate when names are called, I wasn't one of them and I never would accuse someone just out of the blue. We worked together with @Chris Deeming for two small projects and on the latest one he made it very clear about his problem allocating his time for the project. He was helpful in every way and like Chris said, we parted in good terms.

A week of radio silence – not making a habit out of it – is something you can endure maybe. But doing this all the time, it makes you feel different.

What I liked about XenForo from the first day till now is, despite few incidents back in the day the number of reliable developers is strong and you know much more about a person that you would anywhere else. So there is where my reluctance begins. I’ll be dropping the developer another e-mail and P.C and give a chance to explain himself.

Yet you cannot follow your own advice?

It's up to yavuz. Simple as that.

In my case all communication was kept on their site, thus all text was within their control. And payment was made via money order (as an online payment gateway was not easily agreed upon).

The best I could offer was to recommend that people use better judgement and follow their gut instinct. Something in my own laps of judgement failed. And at $3,500 I felt it was worth to remind people to go on their instinct, no matter how well praised someone is.

It was however not enough to go out and name someone directly. So I hold by my original advise, if you have enough to easily back your statement, you should name the individual in question.

Let us not further make this thread be about my past post about another developer or take this thread off topic. :)

This sounds a little like someone I know here (not sure if it's the same person, but would not be surprised).

I do sincerely sympathise with your frustration and completely understand how frustrating and even disappointing it can feel to be a paying customer, but "pushed aside" as though you were begging for free scraps.

My advise is during such times is to seek out another and better individual. I would recommend @sonnb @Chris Deeming @xfrocks and maybe @cclaerhout as their work here on XenForo have been proven to be above & beyond.
No need to contact me, I don't write addons on demand. It would be nice if my name could be avoided to be quoted for custom jobs. I have no time for this. Featuremore, developing and maintaining an addon requires a lot of time, so if the developer doesn't use it him self and/or if the money he can make with it is too low (150 euros is nothing if you count in hours of work), the addon is likely to be abandoned and not supported. Sad, but true.

In my case all communication was kept on their site, thus all text was within their control. And payment was made via money order (as an online payment gateway was not easily agreed upon).

The best I could offer was to recommend that people use better judgement and follow their gut instinct. Something in my own laps of judgement failed. And at $3,500 I felt it was worth to remind people to go on their instinct, no matter how well praised someone is.

It was however not enough to go out and name someone directly. So I hold by my original advise, if you have enough to easily back your statement, you should name the individual in question.

Let us not further make this thread be about my past post about another developer or take this thread off topic. :)
$3500? Jesus H. And here I thought my few hundred lost was a big ****ing deal.

This is very strange. I know who you are talking about @yavuz I was actually very pleased with his services, support and I am very surprised to read this. It must be some kind of explanation for this I guess.

Last edited:
This is very strange. I know who you are talking about @yavuz I was actually very pleased with his services, support and I am very surprised to read this. It must be some king of explanation for this I guess.

Lets not do that XenTox, I've got a reply from the person and will let him know about this thread if he don't already know.

@Chris Deeming - Chris, you certainly took over more work than you expected, I can understand that.

But don't you think its time to get in contact with me? Your last mail to me was "it will not be as late as September" and now we have October. I'm waiting since months, I've paid a rather large sum in advance, your communication lacks, and slowly but surely I get a bit angry.

How unprofessional of you, Walter, to present only half of the truth in such a public fashion.

Firstly the email you speak of was not acknowledged or responded to by you which is something I consider to be highly rude and again, unprofessional. I suggest that you might want to do me the courtesy of at least responding to that email before calling me out on the point of lack of communication.

That ties in nicely with the part where you disappeared off the face of the earth for months without contacting me after I had already completed most of the outstanding work for you. I accept you were unwell with health issues, but I wasn't posting publicly my frustration. Because that would be unprofessional. Instead I waited patiently. And of course in that time I got busy completing my work and work for others.

Finally yes, you have paid money. 100% of the agreed cost for Milestone 1 which is 100% complete and only 50% of the agreed cost for Milestone 2 which is 90% completed (and was so at the point at which you took several months off to recover from your health issues).

So now we have the full truth unnecessarily aired in public, we can still proceed if you wish to, but I will leave that down to you to do me the polite courtesy of responding to my outstanding email where I may actually have a proposal to see this through to completion and beyond but it first depends on my finishing my current outstanding project which is Xen Media Gallery 1.3.

Last edited:
How unprofessional...

Since this site is the storefront and support portal for a business enterprise, and given that paid resources from external sources are available for purchase and related discussion, there really should be a more professional system in place for dispute resolution. This should include rules regarding specific complaints against unnamed members and speculative discussions about who might have done what to whom and when.

I would appreciate if we wouldn't post write comments about other disputes, especially those who should be talked over a personal conversation or a separate thread.

We need iTrader on here :D
Yes we do very much need that. Not only because its a great way to evaluate developers and clients, but also because everyone takes extra effort to reach and uphold an excellent reputation.

Not needed.

We have the 1-5 star system. .. you know, the one where everyone gives 5*'s and nothing else for fear of community retaliation ...:rolleyes:

Even auto rating them a 5 without purchase or download.

Not needed.

We have the 1-5 star system. .. you know, the one where everyone gives 5*'s and nothing else for fear of community retaliation ...:rolleyes:

Even auto rating them a 5 without purchase or download.
I think you are mistaken. We have reviews on resources which is great. We do not any have reviews or feedback system on developers & clients.

Going off the ratings left, you will also see many have added in comments about interaction and support with the developer.

Top Bottom