1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the purpose/added value of the 'Page x of x' line?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Grover, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

I guess I might be overlooking the obvious, but what is the purpose of displaying the 'Page 12 of 30' in front of the page navigation, if we can already see in that same pagenavigation on what page we are and how many pages the thread consists of?

See:

-------------------------------------------------------
    Page 12 of 30

< Prev

→​

Next >

-------------------------------------------------------

Isn't this redundant information?

2. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

Yes, it is - I think it should be removed. :up:

3. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I am not sure but if you removed that line, how would a text-reader user know what page they are on? As the normal navigation won't do that.

Lawrence likes this.
  4. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

That's a very good point that I have not considered before.

5. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

What do you mean?

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

When a visually impaired user browses the site with a screenreader, and the text, "Page X of Y" isn't read, they won't know what page they're on.

7. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Aha. Thank you for explaining, Nick. I see the urgency now... sorry I have no clue about visually impaired functionality in software: I learn a lot over here. :)

8. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

That explains it perfectly... Without that there is no indication for what page you are on because the text reader can't see the style on the navigation...

I am not sure but I think it also helps SE's as they prefer to like to page1 on a thread than page 34... Though the relevance of page34 will be carried over to page1 etc...