XF 2.2 Welcome to XenForo 2.2 / What's still to come

XenForo Community 2.2.webpWe've spent the last few weeks talking about the new features in XenForo 2.2. Now, it's your first chance to try some of them out and help us put them through their paces. Welcome to XenForo 2.2! đź‘‹

As you may notice, we have started converting some of our forums to more specific forum types. We've also enabled all general discussion thread types in the testing forum.

What's still to come

While our previous "have you seen" threads have announced most of what's coming in XenForo 2.2, we haven't touched on our official add-ons. There are improvements coming to each of them (beyond getting support for changes we already announced in 2.2), but we're not quite ready to announce these changes yet. Until we do, what you see running here is essentially the same as the 2.1-based version of our add-ons.

Beyond the add-ons, we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.

Keep your eyes peeled! (Disclaimer: please do not actually peel your eyes.)

Next steps

We're now starting the first steps towards releasing XenForo 2.2 by testing it here. So please, if you notice any bugs or problems, report them to us.

Once we finish off the changes we still have in the pipeline and are happy with the stability of 2.2, the first beta will be released to all customers with active licenses. Beta versions are not officially supported and we don't recommend running them on production installs. This is an opportunity for people to test and for resource authors to make the necessary changes to support the new version. From there, we'll continue releasing beta versions until we're ready to move onto the release candidate stage, which essentially means that we believe the version is close to being an officially supported release (but it's not yet!). Finally, and only once we've gone through each of these stages, XenForo 2.2.0 will be released as an officially supported/recommended release... and we can all celebrate!

But in the meantime, we still have work to do! đź’Ş

A very strange postbit. Why create so much empty space?

Author Postbit.webp

I can't say I like the looks of this. What about having the author's name/info included in a box that is floated inside of the article, bottom left? Using the space that it does, centering looks awkward/strange. I'd still be putting that stuff over on the left. Or, if you're trying to make it look different from the replies, push it to the right side.

.everything spoils the gradient, which developers do not want to remove :(
We've made some changes based on feedback earlier.

There is no longer a gradient unless the editor is focused.

Other changes may happen but until then your voice(s) have been heard already.

I can't say I like the looks of this. What about having the author's name/info included in a box that is floated inside of the article, bottom left? Using the space that it does, centering looks awkward/strange. I'd still be putting that stuff over on the left. Or, if you're trying to make it look different from the replies, push it to the right side.
I could see that annoying users. Some users don't like the floating notices, either.

On a related note I see our likes were converted to upvotes on the suggestion forum?

Is this going to be an upgrade option when converting forums? Both for suggestions and questions forums?
There is a way to convert reactions to upvotes for suggestions.

Not for question threads though as the meaning of a positive reaction in that context may be a little more ambiguous.

I could see that annoying users. Some users don't like the floating notices, either.
To be clear, I don't mean a popup notice, I'm saying some sort of little box in the corner, similar to a left/right floated image. But it doesn't have to be floated inside of anything. It could just be a corner. There is no logical reason for it to go across the entire screen.

To be clear, I don't mean a popup notice, I'm saying some sort of little box in the corner, similar to a left/right floated image. But it doesn't have to be floated inside of anything. It could just be a corner. There is no logical reason for it to go across the entire screen.
Nono. That's what I'm saying, the floating notice idea has the same "behavior."

I quite like the profile details the way it is. It's similar to how some blogs do their profile/details.

Nono. That's what I'm saying, the floating notice idea has the same "behavior."
Not sure I follow. Sorry. If not bottom left or right corner as some sort of insert, why not just make articles look the same as New York Times (pictured) or most any other website you've ever seen? Put a little author icon/name at the top left and call it a day.

Author.webp

Not sure I follow. Sorry. If not bottom left or right corner as some sort of insert, why not just make articles look the same as New York Times (pictured) or most any other website you've ever seen? Put a little author icon/name at the top left and call it a day.

View attachment 228777
Well, you said you wanted like a floating box to show the avatar/username/details...?

We've made some changes based on feedback earlier.

There is no longer a gradient unless the editor is focused.

Other changes may happen but until then your voice(s) have been heard already.
.but why don't you want to try to remove the gradient? You can simply change the background of the editor at focus.

What option is to get the same behavior as "Have you seen...?" I read the announcements, but I cannot for the life of me understand which does which. I would love to use this styling for those.... tips/guides section of a forum.

Nice work on that feature. It makes a forum look like a blog somehow. :)

Well, you said you wanted like a floating box to show the avatar/username/details...?
What I was actually referring to is using word-wrap: having article content flowing above or below and next to the author name, located at one of the top or bottom corners, instead of taking a couple/few inches across the entire width of the screen outside of the article space to show what amounts to a very small icon/name.

After giving it more thought, I'd rather it looked like the NYT example I posted above. Easily done via template edits, so nothing I'll need to lose sleep over.

If not bottom left or right corner as some sort of insert, why not just make articles look the same as New York Times (pictured) or most any other website you've ever seen? Put a little author icon/name at the top left and call it a day.
Obviously we're considering different options here, but "most any other website you've ever seen" isn't really true. It's rather common to have a block relating to the author on blog/blog-like sites, which is fairly comparable to the way ours currently looks.

All new suggestions start with 0. I could make a habit of it to put them to -1 and influence people's impressions by doing this.
You cannot deduct a "like" that you have'nt yet assigned. So -1 is not possible even with "Downvote".
I don't understand the whole hype about it. Before that you could make a "Like ==+1" then "Unlike==-1). But you always had to assign a" Like "before you could pull it off. So it is the same with the vote system or am I wrong?

What I was actually referring to is using word-wrap: having article content flowing above or below and next to the author name, located at one of the top or bottom corners, instead of taking a couple/few inches across the entire width of the screen outside of the article space to show what amounts to a very small icon/name.

After giving it more thought, I'd rather it looked like the NYT example I posted above. Easily done via template edits, so nothing I'll need to lose sleep over.
Oh, so you mean, like some sites that have a modal floating "invisible" box, like the New York Times you just posted so it shows who the article is written by. Gotcha. It's a nice idea. Don't get me wrong. I just thought you wanted a full-sized box to show everything and follow you like a floating notice.

I'm sorry. Carry on.

Top Bottom