XF 2.2 Welcome to XenForo 2.2 / What's still to come

XenForo Community 2.2.webpWe've spent the last few weeks talking about the new features in XenForo 2.2. Now, it's your first chance to try some of them out and help us put them through their paces. Welcome to XenForo 2.2! 👋

As you may notice, we have started converting some of our forums to more specific forum types. We've also enabled all general discussion thread types in the testing forum.

What's still to come

While our previous "have you seen" threads have announced most of what's coming in XenForo 2.2, we haven't touched on our official add-ons. There are improvements coming to each of them (beyond getting support for changes we already announced in 2.2), but we're not quite ready to announce these changes yet. Until we do, what you see running here is essentially the same as the 2.1-based version of our add-ons.

Beyond the add-ons, we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.

Keep your eyes peeled! (Disclaimer: please do not actually peel your eyes.)

Next steps

We're now starting the first steps towards releasing XenForo 2.2 by testing it here. So please, if you notice any bugs or problems, report them to us.

Once we finish off the changes we still have in the pipeline and are happy with the stability of 2.2, the first beta will be released to all customers with active licenses. Beta versions are not officially supported and we don't recommend running them on production installs. This is an opportunity for people to test and for resource authors to make the necessary changes to support the new version. From there, we'll continue releasing beta versions until we're ready to move onto the release candidate stage, which essentially means that we believe the version is close to being an officially supported release (but it's not yet!). Finally, and only once we've gone through each of these stages, XenForo 2.2.0 will be released as an officially supported/recommended release... and we can all celebrate!

But in the meantime, we still have work to do! 💪

.continuing about design and UI:

Why do we need a transparent confirmation form? It looks like a bug. As if the element is hanging in the air.
1593003472131.webp

Why force the user to press the button once again to insert the attachment when the insert buttons fit nicely?
1593003717525.webp1593003740128.webp

Buttons for scrolling attachments are not visible, especially on a white background. And if you have a lot of attachments and you want to insert a new attachment, you need to click the scroll button, find a new attachment, click the insert button and click another insert button.
1593006599085.webp

Why are the tabs here if we only change additional fields? And why is it like two different types? Does a thread cease to be a discussion if a poll is attached to it?
1593004534139.webp

Why do we need to specify a title and additional fields when the preview works only for the contents of the editor?
1593004636152.webp

No indentation in preview
1593005034731.webp

More options... More options... More options... In the froala editor, everything is logically broken down by type and signed logically.
1593005133563.webp

1593005290770.webp

Transition delay on quick insert buttons. Because of it, when you hover over the button, changing the background seems to slow down.

The idea of a quick-insert button is interesting, but it just hangs in the air, twitches and generally looks strange. We freed up space in the editor, why not just take out the frequently-used buttons in the toolbar? And why not just pin the toolbar?

A very strange postbit. Why create so much empty space?
1593006084452.webp

In general, the new types of threads somehow do not fit into the overall picture of XF. As if they were fastened to a hurry, not having worked much.

Tooltip position and the bottom indent, which is three times larger than the top. I think it’s not worth explaining what's wrong here.
1593006799357.webp

So, if the updates of XF 2.0 and 2.1 (especially 2.1, which brought to mind 2.0) caused delight and admiration, then XF 2.2 is more likely to cause bewilderment and sadness.

A lot of things raise questions. The editor was rather degraded than improved. The attachment manager also received more flaws than improvements. New types of forums and threads look like this is done as an add-on, rather than a built-in function.

Yes, in 2.2 there were good and interesting functions, such as PWA, to which there are no complaints. But the implementation of some functions...

In general, I hope that the release will be finalized and all the shortcomings will be fixed :)

Thank you for your work, we appreciate it!

I have to agree with a few of the editor complaints.

The new editor looks as if it just doesn't belong with the gradient design when everything else is of a flat nature. It just looks out of place to me.

The other complaints about the empty space and button layout don't really bother me all that much (even though I would like the draft buttons to not be hidden in drop down.

Possible to disable preview option altogether (I.e hide the preview button from button manager?). Not sure how often people preview posts...they shoot first and check damage done later.

That's too bad, as I think down voting a suggestion would give even more valuable feedback than just up voting alone.

Plus, wouldn't potential customers think that only half of the system was implemented? They really wouldn't know better.
I disagree.

If I were allowed to downvote in the suggestions forum, I could go and downvote all threads to give my suggestions a better chance.

This way, the default is 0 for everyone and only the best liked ones gets an edge over the others.

Last edited:
we still have a few more improvements to XenForo 2.2 itself that are still in the oven right now. These include improvements based on feedback we've received from the previous have you seens and some improvements to things we haven't touched on yet.
00f3239757b92b5e0356b730d3d21e65.webp

Top Bottom