XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

Steve, do you have the code for that so when I do install 2.1, it would lie the firs thing I would like to modify. Thanks.

the online indicator? imagine you could edit the following CSS for that

CSS:
.message-avatar-online {
    position: absolute;
    left: 50%;
    margin-left: -.615em;
    bottom: -.5em;
}

.message-avatar-online:before {
    font-family:'Font Awesome 5 Pro';
    font-size:inherit;
    font-style:normal;
    font-weight:400;
    text-rendering:auto;
    -webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;
    -moz-osx-font-smoothing:grayscale;
    content:"\f2bd";
    line-height:1;
    font-weight:bold;
    color:#7fb900;
    background:#f5f5f5;
    border:#f5f5f5 solid 2px;
    border-radius:50%;
    display:inline-block
}

FWIW most of them relate to emojis and the little browser tooltip that pops up if you hover over them and that text is searchable as well when filtering the emoji list and emoji autocomplete etc.

That's a heck of a lot of translating to do, but you'd have to weigh up the benefit of doing that or not. If it were me, I wouldn't bother. In fact, I nearly didn't bother having them phraseable at all, but I just know that would have been the first bug report if we hadn't 😉

Yes, your right. But I think many members especially in German language room wait with the upgrade from 1.5.x to 2.x of the 2.1 and - that is the point, a usable German translation. Without a translation, it might no sense to upgrade in most cases.

Xenforo startet with around about 3.000 phrases years ago. Now with Ressource Manager and Gallery we talk about over 10.000 phrases. Thats realy a lot of them.

I think, a little bit more development for easier translation work will be nice for the future of Xenforo. Translation is the one part, but test them in all cases the other one that needs the same or more time for as the translation by self.
What can be helpful I think would be the ability to go from a phrase to all the places the phrase is used to look they isn't to long or not in sense translated. Actually I have to search manually to find all or better most places a phrase is used...

Without good translations, you sell less licences as you can with good and easy translation support.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother. In fact, I nearly didn't bother having them phraseable at all, but I just know that would have been the first bug report if we hadn't

I normally would agree with you, but I had users in my forum, who said that there were errors in the forum and the software wasn't finished at all because some phrases weren't translated.

It’s your choice of course.

Unfortunately the reality is that we’re not going to avoid adding functionality just because it has new phrases to translate.

So you either decide not to translate them or you do translate them.

And it’s worth noting that the translating tools in XF 2.0.0 are significantly improved over what was in XF 1.5. There’s not really much more we can do in that regard.

In fact, I nearly didn't bother having them phraseable at all, but I just know that would have been the first bug report if we hadn't 😉
Well, we're in the same boat here ;)

If we, as forum owners/operators, do not translate the phrases we do get complaints/support requessts from our users so we basically have no choice but to translate them.

Slightly OT here but might be an idea for 2.2:
Inline translation, eg. just press a keyboard shortcut and click on a any phrased text in frontend or backend to translate it would be nice.
I've done this on our development board (was really painful the inject the context ...) and it has proven to be pretty useful.

Last edited:
Xenforo startet with around about 3.000 phrases years ago. Now with Ressource Manager and Gallery we talk about over 10.000 phrases. Thats realy a lot of them.

We must be reaching a point at this stage where AI can much more easily translate at least 90% of these phrases with no manual input in seconds. They can then be revised, refined and corrected manually by a person a fraction of the time.

Maybe someone good at AI/Language recognition can work on a plugin to help automate stuff like this using the processing power and APIs of the likes of Google et al.

We must be reaching a point at this stage where AI can much more easily translate at least 90% of these phrases with no manual input in seconds. They can then be revised, refined and corrected manually by a person a fraction of the time.

Maybe someone good at AI/Language recognition can work on a plugin to help automate stuff like this using the processing power and APIs of the likes of Google et al.
Sorry, but we have some German translations that where made exactly this way you say.
But the quality of these translations are more poor than fine. This way to tranlate is horrible. You think, you know what such a translated phrase mean, but you cant be sure. Google and co translate often to much without sense.
You can check what I say when you take a look at German translations that are made this way.... horrible. ;-)

@Kirby
Exact such functionality is what I mean, what can translations made easier.

@Chris_D
... and more, better, faster translations are the key to more customers. Believe me, believe the market rules. ;-)

Sorry, but we have some German translations that where made exactly this way you say.
But the quality of these translations are more poor than fine. This way to tranlate is horrible.

There must be a better way to utilise the processing power of these automated tools, have the ability to see the translation in content, review it, assess it, rectify and correct it if required and then apply and save the true translation in a much more fluid workflow.

Hopefully someone fluent in language processing and coding can help figure out a more scalable way to translate this larger number of phrases to many languages via a more manageable workflow.

That's a heck of a lot of translating to do, but you'd have to weigh up the benefit of doing that or not.
I always like to avoid as many phrases from translating as possible, but available options to filter and identify target phrases are limited in XF. For example, I have raised the need to isolate phrases of the admin interface from the public view numerous times to cut down heavily on the translation efforts. Another potential approach could be to add an attribute in the phrase system to tag them (with one or more tags) which can then be used later for filtering phrases by keyword tags. This way, all the admin phrases can be tagged with admin (likewise, public, emoji, or addon names etc.)

By default, XF will always aim to use the default or most widely supported password hashing algorithm available, so in this case that is still Bcrypt. But should you have an appropriate PHP version and the required prerequisites installed (PHP has to be compiled explicitly with Argon2 support) then we should allow you to use that, so in XF 2.1, now you can. And it's as simple as a couple of additional lines in src/config.php.

Just did a test XF 2.1 Beta 1 install, but doesn't seem to be any check in XF 2.1 beta1 admin for argon2 and libsodium extensions that is visible in the server environment report section?

I think, a little bit more development for easier translation work will be nice for the future of Xenforo. Translation is the one part, but test them in all cases the other one that needs the same or more time for as the translation by self.
I work with a commercial software, where - if you are in dev-mode - do a right-click on a label/text and directly jump to the table where translations are stored (along with a lang-code of "de" or "en"). So no searching if you are on the correct phrase and you see the result immediatly after submitting the translation-page.

If find that very convenient if you need to localize additional fields or correct a sometimes funny translation.

-Markus

I work with a commercial software, where - if you are in dev-mode - do a right-click on a label/text and directly jump to the table where translations are stored (along with a lang-code of "de" or "en"). So no searching if you are on the correct phrase and you see the result immediatly after submitting the translation-page.

It's possible to do this for XF2 with an addon. We are using one internally that does that in addition to CSS source-mapping and some other useful stuff. :)

However, it's not really possible to cover everything. Some phrases are used in title attributes, some are for javascript, etc. You can't always attach click behavior to a phrase.

Unfortunately the reality is that we’re not going to avoid adding functionality just because it has new phrases to translate.

You shouldn't either.

But, may I ask politely if there is a possibility that you, as a developer, could provide the changing phrase packages in advance?

This would have the advantage for future updates that the translators would have a prompt connection to your release plan and that they would be able to pick up those who were willing to update.

For the German-speaking area I have to add that the user Alluidh has provided an outstanding translation work with many well-founded explanations in the German translation - for the XF 1.5 version.

For the 2. xxx everyone is waiting for his work, because it is simply HighClass compared to the other 0815-translations...

This is how the "pressure" from the German-speaking area, which you might feel, comes about...

Everyone is waiting for ONE person... ;-)

Everyone is waiting for ONE person... ;-)

We stopped waiting and did it ourselves. We did automate a large part and used an XF1.5 translation to proof comparable phrases. Not perfect, but working well enough for us.

And it makes for some very funny discoveries like "Root breadcrumbs" -> "Wurzelbrotkrümel" 🤣

Top Bottom