XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

There you go ..............warned by a stranger Dont Do IT 🤪

What does this mean?

"The following issue was found when determining if a one-click upgrade is possible: The files are owned by a different user than the upgrade is running as."

I am running this on localhost using scotchbox and vagrant

why do they release something incomplete if they know its not ready for production yet?
Did you not read the first post?

Did you not read the first post?
so i did but I missed xf.2.1 and installed today's and the update which messed up my site but in normal days no matter the warning the updates worked fine but today's update was a disaster since I'm still using 2.0.10

Last edited:
What does this mean?

"The following issue was found when determining if a one-click upgrade is possible: The files are owned by a different user than the upgrade is running as."

I am running this on localhost using scotchbox and vagrant
The files are owned by a different user than PHP is running as. This would usually indicate something like mod_php or PHP-FPM (depending on exact config) where PHP often runs as the "nobody" user. Therefore, you will need to do the "traditional" upgrade.

(Compare to a common cPanel setup where you FTP/SSH in using a particular user and PHP runs as that same user.)

Rounded avatars by default

XF 2.1 introduces round avatars by default. They are a bit more aesthetically pleasing:

View attachment 187227
This explains the new online indicator 😉
That said, some people may prefer non-round avatars and if that's the case you can use this new style property to make them square again:

Changing this value to 2px will give them the same appearance as XF 2.0.
What does the online indicator look like if you stay with square avatars. As they are now or...

Top Bottom