XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

It looks ugly to be frank.:(

ERq22GN.jpg

That is ugly. Would be better to keep it in the center, no? Needs to be a lot smaller than that too, takes up most of the avatar space. Also I wold have just remained with a solid green circle rather than a 'person' in it.

It’s a beta with big red letters that say that it isn’t recommended for production, it’s meant for people to test on their test sites to find the last of the bugs before a stable release
Indeed. Of course some of us (well... me) decide to live on the edge in order to provide some kind of valuable feedback, only to find mostly everything is working fine... I don't know. I guess if you have/had a lot of addons or template modifications, this could seriously screw up your forum. Since the proper safeguards arent there to flag these as legacy, or whatever... Specifically I have one admin who is absolutely furious (and for good reason) that his access to Tapatalk is currently cut-off, and thus a large percentage of our userbase just sees some error message if using that methodology to view the site. I think, though, however, this version seems to be approximately less buggy than most. I do not see where the issue is, although we are ready to roll back to some prior version if the ultimate doomsday scenario were to take place. I would really have to say should such an incident happen, as it did for the fellow you are responding to, that they should, perhaps, inform XenForo developers about this, so that they can prevent it from happening on other sites. I am the kind of person, however, who would say, barring some strange deficiency that I am not yet aware, that this current beta release is fairly stable, however, with giant red warning letters to tell you it may not be. I fail to see where there are any database shattering bugs, as of yet. Most addons that seek calls to the former like system seem to be not happy with this version, but I think that could just require a quick rewrite of a few lines of code in said add-ons.

some of us (well... me) decide to live on the edge in order to provide some kind of valuable feedback

In which case you should set up a duplicate forum, use that as a test, upgrade it to the beta and have members/admins log in to test that until a release candidate or final version is released.

I think the general rule and line of advice is never to upgrade your primary, live forum to any kind of beta - as it’s a beta and various features will almost certainly be broken or incompatible, especially when it comes to 3rd party add ons like Tapatalk.

Any chance you well enable Authy One Touch on these forums, so we can see how it works?
It is enabled.
Out of curiosity, what is the need for having a separate option for enabling Authy? According to Authy, it would work at every site where GoogleAuth works, and can be enabled in a similar way

They are speaking about the ability of the Authy app to generate OTP codes in the same way that Google Authenticator does. So you've always been able to use the Authy app to enable the one-time password stuff (and I've always highly recommended it).

The new functionality in 2.1 exposes another feature of the Authy app - authentication by push notification.

And that is what is demonstrated above.

In which case you should set up a duplicate forum, use that as a test, upgrade it to the beta and have members/admins log in to test that until a release candidate or final version is released.

I think the general rule and line of advice is never to upgrade your primary, live forum to any kind of beta - as it’s a beta and various features will almost certainly be broken or incompatible, especially when it comes to 3rd party add ons like Tapatalk.
I already anticipate that Tapatalk wouldn't work. Really, it is some kind of miracle the plug-in even works after the last rushed rewrite. You know who should be testing the beta but almost certainly isn't? Tapatalk. They will rush a beta version weeks after the next release.

More to the point, the issue with cloning the site for a testing purpose, and not simply backing up data, is that literally, no one will use the test site. There is literally zero interest, other than on my end, to even look at the features if they aren't live. I've done it dozens of times before and the reaction has always been the same.

I think PushBullet support could be great for those on iOS especially. While it would mean users need to download an app and set it up, it would provide push notification support for those who cannot get native push notifications :)

I think PushBullet support could be great for those on iOS especially. While it would mean users need to download an app and set it up, it would provide push notification support for those who cannot get native push notifications :)
Dude its nearly 2019 no one will download and install an app to get push notifications...why would they...it should be native...stop suggesting pointless and outdated things we dont need :)

While RTE is present in the profile page, other places are still showing plain text input such as the "Post your status" form in the quick member menu (shown when the user clicks his/her name in the menu bar) and under "What's new" page. In the latter case it is even more strange that one can post his/her status using plain editor, but can comment on existing statuses using RTE.
The latter seems to have been fixed now. I think the first one is better kept as plain due to its placement.

Dude its nearly 2019 no one will download and install an app to get push notifications...why would they...it should be native...stop suggesting pointless and outdated things we dont need :)

I would, and as it stands it’s impossible for push to be native unless XF release a native iOS app. It’s the one add on that I use daily on TAZ and it helps keep me engaged. I will miss it when they move to XF2 as there’s no XF2 version of Chris’ plugin yet.

Admins mods and dedicated users also use it some of my own sites. It makes XF messaging much better when on the move because if it’s an important message I’ll reply much quicker and the conversation flows better.

I concede that the cost and difficulty of getting it setup is far from ideal and quite prohibitive for most though.

Top Bottom