XF 2.1 Welcome to XenForo 2.1 / Assorted improvements

Welcome to XenForo 2.1!

We said there would be something special accompanying the final HYS in this series for XF 2.1, and here it is. This is your first opportunity to help us put the new feature set through its paces.

We also said there would be a number of other miscellaneous changes/improvements to show you, so read on for more 👇

Really, when this update will come out?

I purchased xenforo in 2012 because it was innovative and something promising new. (I had Vbulletin forum license then, but i moved to xenforo) .
But in the last six years, the world has changed. Yes you had a major update to 2.0, but after that? Only bug fixes and nothing innovative. Now there is something promising, but..............

Sadly social media is growing, but forum software is dying....... And if we have to wait another year or so to get updates what offering some softwares already long time now.....

Sorry, i'm not speaking english really good, but my point is that we need updates and new things to this great forum software more often or this will die slowly.

Sadly social media is growing, but forum software is dying....... And if we have to wait another year or so to get updates what offering some softwares already long time now.....
The quality of the content of the most forums is much higher than that of social media. In that case forums will continue to grow.
There ere still quite large forums.
I don't think forum concept is dying, but the forum must be of good quality.

May I ask why it is not recommended to use a beta version on a live forum? What are the reasons? I want to be sure that I can upgrade to a stable version without any hassle.

May I ask why it is not recommended to use a beta version on a live forum? What are the reasons? I want to be sure that I can upgrade to a stable version without any hassle.
Because right now the "beta" is being tested just on this official forums.
You can't possibly know what kind of other issues/bugs will arise once the beta is out and hundreds of other boards can test in their test environments with their custom setups. Possibly new bugs can be found which you don't want to have in your live forums. Imagine you announce push notifications to your board and in the beta process push doesn't work for you because of a reason. Do you want that?

And addon devs haven't got the chance to test anything yet if every new stuff is compatible with their stuff. Specially there is already a push addon in the RM or bookmark or reactions. Those can have potential issues if you use those addons and upgrade to 2.1 without waiting for the devs to fix their stuff or check their stuff.

Last edited:
Because right now the "beta" is being tested just on this official forums.
You can't possibly know what kind of other issues/bugs will arise once the beta is out and hundreds of other boards can test in their test environments with their custom setups. Possibly new bugs can be found which you don't want to have in your live forums. Imagine you announce push notifications to your board and in the beta process push doesn't work for you because of a reason. Do you want that?

And addon devs hadn't chance to test anything yet if every new stuff is compatible with their stuff. Specially there is already a push addon in the RM, our bookmark or reactions. Those can have potential issues if you use that addons and upgrade to 2.1 without waiting for the devs to fix their stuff or check their stuff.

Thanks for the kind explaintion. How long does a beta stage take to reach a stable stage usually?

Thanks for the kind explaintion. How long does a beta stage take to reach a stable stage usually?
Obviously I don't have insider information, but I can make a reasonable guess. As you may noticed, right now Mike and Chris are fixing bugs. They are working through the reported ones, which means they want to go over to the public beta as soon as possible. By the current rate I would expect a public beta in next 1-2 weeks. And then it depends on how much new bugs are found. Usually there are not many breaking bugs found in this stage, but you never know. So 4-5 weeks for the public beta. I would say in January we will see the first stable releases.
Again, I am making an assumption right now based on what I have seen in the past. As always, it is ready when it is ready.

Just as a quick aside, will XF2.0.x add-ons work with 2.1? I only ask because we never saw much benefit to upgrading to upgrading to 2.0 for feature parity, but 2.1 looks like a goer! :)

Looks awesome! Looking forward to the full thing being released.

P.S - is the default thread sorting meant to be by First Post Date? Shouldn't it be by last post date?

You can change the default sort order for each forum.

For some of our forums, including this and our announcements forum, it's more appropriate to sort by thread creation date so that when you visit, the newest threads are always at the top.

I only just noticed:

Top Bottom