Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest 3.5

No permission to download
Great idea on this one Andy. I've been wanting to implement something like this for a while. I really feel like the ability to add a logo is a big deal though. I imagine it can be hard coded. And I imagine you can change the date in which it's sent in the code too. I have always sent newsletter type emails out betweenTuesday-Thursday, just as a rule of thumb. Would rather do that with these as well.

How tough would it be to split up the email into popular forums grouped together? For example, I'd want 2-3 groupings. The first grouping would be popular threads from forums A, B, C, The next would be from forums D-H, and the third would be from forums X, Y, Z. Each grouping would have a header title describing the type of content in each. I'd be willing to pay for this type of customization of the plugin. I don't care if I have to set these settings in the code.

Thanks Andy for this addon it works great!

I would like to know how to remove the weekly digest link from the footer?

Regards

I have a member who tried clicking the link in his Eudora email client and got this error:
upload_2015-1-3_8-31-54.webp

But he says it works if he sends it to his browser.

I get this error when I try to do a manual test (I've removed my usernames):

Code:
Mysqli prepare error: Unknown column 'MyADMINUserName' in 'where clause'

Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 734
Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchAll() in Andy/WeeklyDigest/CronEntry/WeeklyDigest.php at line 106
Andy_WeeklyDigest_CronEntry_WeeklyDigest::runWeeklyDigest()
call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/Cron.php at line 356
XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Cron.php at line 213
XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Cron->actionRun() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home2/MYHOSTUSERNAME/public_html/admin.php at line 13

EDIT:

For this with this error, don't use the text username, but the username ID.

Last edited:
Hi @AndyB

Thanks for the mod. Small issue, it went out to closed usergroup (banned group). One of the banned members sent a not so nice email to me in reply to the email digest. Any ideas?

Great addon.

I want to suggest not sending the weekly digest to discouraged and banned users.

Is the digest sent to users that have unmarked "Receive emails from this site"?

It would be useful for there to be a a spot at the top or bottom of the list where we could put a brief bit of news or announcement. To prevent duplicate announcements the cron could clear the announcement record after sending.

Also having a spot where the forum logo could go could be nice

Q: Are forum view permissions honored?
A: No. You have to use the Exclude Forums in the Options if you want to exclude any forums from the emails sent.
@AndyB is this designed for performance ? I can imagine if you have alot of private forums it would be a long list to figure out manually!

Maybe as a compromise have option to spit out private forum ids list only once in admin on first load of page. Then folks can copy and paste the forum id list into the Exclude Forums field :)

Maybe as a compromise have option to spit out private forum ids list only once in admin on first load of page. Then folks can copy and paste the forum id list into the Exclude Forums field :)
... or include an option to only include forums that are viewable to guests. That'd be pretty light performance wise since it'd only have to be calculated once per job run.

Thanks for the work on this @AndyB it's a very useful add-on!

One thing, I've had some users report that the links in the email doesn't include the root domain, so don't work. Other users however are getting the exact same digest with correctly formed emails.

for example:
Code:
http://threads/anyone-have-a-secondary-income.768037/
instead of:
Code:
http://www.mysite.net/threads/anyone-have-a-secondary-income.768037/

Am i correct that the threads are coded as the first example, but using a base href tag? In that case it looks like their email readers are not honouring that or something?

I see that it's possible to run this more than once per week by Ctrl-clicking on the Day of the Week cron entry. That's good. Would it then be possible to change the email subject and body text from "Last week's most popular topics" to "This week's most popular topics"? If so, how?

Thanks!

Top Bottom