Want refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt2011

So I'm giving up on Xenforo.
It has some neat features but in terms of customizability it fails completely.

The template system is ridiculous. Having to switch back and worth between pages to edit colors is retarded. I want one page or file that makes it clear and simple enough what you are editing. Why not let us edit a single CSS file?

If you have the patience to mess with it and learn the darn thing, good for you.

A warning to anyone thinking of buying this product: its great if you want a cookie cutter site but if you want to really customize the layout and design... good luck with all the hard coded template functionalities.

Maybe I'll come back to Xen in the future if the template system is simplified but until then, I'm going back to FREE alternatives.

So, how does one get a refund around here?

The template system is ridiculous. Having to switch back and worth between pages to edit colors is retarded. I want one page or file that makes it clear and simple enough what you are editing. Why not let us edit a single CSS file?

You do realize that you can just edit the CSS, right?

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with Xenforo. But I am feeling that I have to say something to your statement above.

I had very very many different Forum softwares running. Including:
  • vBulletin 3
  • vBulletin 4
  • IP.Board 3.1 to 3.3
  • SMF
  • phpBB 3
  • WoltLab Burning Board 2 and 3
But none of them are so easy to customize as Xenforo is. For me Xenforo is lacking of some feature I like to see, for example a Gallery, but the biggest thing what keeps me from switching back to one of the forums mentioned above is the fact that Xenforo ist so easy to customize.

After understanding how the Xenforo template is build it is such an easy thing. So if you want to have a single CSS file. No problem put all your CSS code in EXTRA.css So you could do all with a single file. Then you could even ignore all Style Properties - which I would not prefer but it is possible.

Also the template syntax in Xenfor is for me the easiest I have ever seen - I am not a designer nor a programmer - it is just a hobby but even I could do many template edits including Xenforo syntax and even started to programm my first addon.

One thing that helped me much is to do all my template edits in Coda with webdav which is also very great.

So if you are not comfortable with the Xenforo Template System it is okay - everybody have different understanding for what is easy to use. But I had to clarify your "warning" because I am feeling the total opposite of your statement.

Greetings Benny

If you have the patience to mess with it and learn the darn thing, good for you.

A warning to anyone thinking of buying this product: its great if you want a cookie cutter site but if you want to really customize the layout and design... good luck with all the hard coded template functionalities.

Maybe I'll come back to Xen in the future if the template system is simplified but until then, I'm going back to FREE alternatives.

So, how does one get a refund around here?
Just a couple of quick questions:
Why do you have to switch back and forth between pages to change colours? I find them all nicely here:
bb902c6890bc44f79824c3e.png

Also, I find the css files here:
ff225b736ec14a13812ad90.png

nicely named and spaced out so I can see exactly which template I'm editing.

What is a 'cookie cutter' site? If it's an expression I've never heard it, and if it's not then XF is low on cookie usage ;)

What are the 'hard coded template functionalities' that put you off using the templates? I find the syntax easy to use, I find the colours easily customisable and the templates are entirely customisable... not sure of the problem here.

For the record, I don't use XF in production so all my points here might be... pointless.

Xenforo is very customizable, I'm only making this point because you obviously don't understand the styling system and giving potential customers the wrong impression when the issue is at the user level (you) not understanding the system, how it works, how it should/can be used. Below are two (not the greatest styles) I designed using just css making use of the extra.css template. Very customizable and tbh the style system xenforo provides is in my eyes it's strongest area. Sure there's room for improvements but there's nothing that can't be accomplished using the style system and it's very easy with the below styles able to be created in a day, 2 days if you really want to stretch it out.

The rest of your post (to the OP) doesn't make much sense so I'm not understanding the other issues your having but goodluck with your choice of software .

style1.webp

style2.webp
style_postbit.webp

I couldn't agree with you less. I changed my site significantly to my own requirements in just a few days and the whole process was both quick and easy. In the end the ease of customisation is one reason I chose XF over IPB or VB4.

Every customer is entitled to his opinion, so you are well within your right to dislike xenforo or call it crap.

However the facts you present are wrong. Xenforo has very little to nothing hardcoded and it is completely customizable. Someone who doesn't know much css/html can simply change the color palette (even some very non tech savvy forum owners I know have done that on their own!) and if you know some css you can simply edit the css templates (or add in extra.css). It seems you did not understand what this software did or did not do before you purchased and were hasty to purchase and are being hasty to get rid of it.

You do realize that you can just edit the CSS, right?
You must not have seen his other threads. :rolleyes: It seems like he's just looking for an excuse not to use XF, so be it...move on.

Side note - Yes you can edit the CSS in one file, it's called EXTRA.css (you've been told this a few times already) ;)

You can sell me your license. ;) Their fixed your issue but I wouldn't give it back to you once transferred :) PM me the price but I guess their is 120 days wait time unless you can get that waived.

Yeah I will take that license off your hands in a heart beat. When you are not able to get a refund, how much do you want to sell it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom