View Pictures across Site on Media Gallery

Where would images uploaded to posts be entered in the gallery?

In a random category?
In a new category?
In a pre-defined album?

Personally it doesn't make much sense to me - threads/posts and gallery are separate and should remain so.

Where would images uploaded to posts be entered in the gallery?

In a random category?
In a new category?
In a pre-defined album?

Personally it doesn't make much sense to me - threads/posts and gallery are separate and should remain so.

In a random category or something similar.

Maybe if it imported the images in a "album per user" type manor? So "All pictures by Brogan" and "All pictures by Slavik"

That could be an excellent idea. Maybe toggle in the ACP?

That makes little sense to me.
There would be no context.

A stream of images would be nice like how we have the ability to see new posts. Would allow a site to better moderate pictures instead of hunting them down.

I remember many years ago Kier showcased the concept of an attachment browser for vb. His concept never came to be. But it was a really great concept and the main reason why I bought vb4 blindly.

Making attachments visible / browsable would be very useful. I have 35000 attachments on my site. At least half of these are interesting images.

I remember many years ago Kier showcased the concept of an attachment browser for vb. His concept never came to be. But it was a really great concept and the main reason why I bought vb4 blindly.

Making attachments visible / browsable would be very useful. I have 35000 attachments on my site. At least half of these are interesting images.

Exactly this :D

Here is the description of the same suggestion I posted on xenresources:
A community can hold many thousands of images, videos and other media in the attachment system. On my websites tens of thousands of great images are buried deep within the forums. It would be great to be able to display these in gallery albums.

For example in an album 'Alfa1's attachments' or 'forumname attachments'.
This would bring valuable images from hidden to visible.

There are various filtering methods that could be applied. For example: only show attachments which posts have received likes.

For me I think a pre-defined album aka "Attachments" for each user would be ideal so we can reuse our attachments easily across the site and not have to re-upload it or post a link to it. When we click on the camera icon to post a media we would be able to select from our albums/etc.. and post it to our thread/post.

Last edited:
I think this would be a really useful feature.

Maybe when a user uploads an attachment to a post in the forum, they should be given the option to choose an album for it within the media gallery. If no album is selected, the attachment can still be found in the gallery by clicking on "all pictures/attachments by user X".

Yep agree this would be very useful functionality. Having attachments and media as two separate entities is perhaps confusing for many users. Uploaded attachments would be nice to see included in the user's media gallery in an appropriately named album.

Wonderful idea.

That makes little sense to me.
There would be no context.

Why should that remain so? The new XFMG offers so much to the overal forum experience/functionality and it's potential could ('should') be even extended more. Think outside of the box.

Just look at the biggest social media platform out there: Facebook. On there they offer the enduser different kind of albums:
  • Your own self-created albums
  • An (automatically generated) album where the pictures are shown were others tagged you in
  • An (automatically generated) album that displays all the pictures you have posted on your timeline
This is all gathered and accesible in 1 central place: the photo/album 'gallery' in Facebook.

Xenforo offers now offers photo tagging. Which is fantastic. I have no clue how it works at the moment (did not test it yet), but how can we see on which photos we are tagged by other members? Is there a list? Can we search on them? If we can search on them, then great but why not let the software work for us? We 'should' not have to search for anything if we have a full blown gallery product to help us out. This gallery product can generate an album for us where all the photos that we are tagged in are displayed. No need to do any searching...

As co-admins above already pointed out, our threads/posts contain a goldmine of valuable pictures. But there is no global overview of them. The pictures that are posted on my platform attract visitors and advertisers, but they are buried in the depths of 14 years of spaghetti threads. We want and need to make them visible. And what better place to accomplish this? Exactly...

Context? The first aim is to simply display them in 1 central place. The context is of a lesser important on first view (it's called a media gallery for a reason, is my thought). However, if we need context, the picture (or a link) can provide us with this context, since it can point us back to the posting where it was placed in. So you have your context always at hand when you need it. First thing however is that we want to use the gallery as the central place where ALL our media can be displayed and accessed. True integration with the forum instead of having it seperate.

Last edited:
this suggestion makes a lot of sense.

1)
Since you could put the "Media Gallery" onto the "Homepage" and by clicking onto the photo (or a specific Link under the photo), the users could jump into the respective thread-post where the image has been posted originally.
(Although I think you might want to ditch/disable the "Photo Comments" from the "Media Gallery Addon".)

2)
The "Categories" of the "Media Gallery" could be the same as the "Categories / Forum Nodes" of the Forum itself. So you would have coherent "Categories" at both the "Media Gallery" and the Forums.
For example:
- "Media Gallery Category": Pets
- Forum: Pets

So all pictures which have been posted into the Forum named "Pets" will show up in the "Media Gallery Category" named "Pets".

3)
Add the "Photo Keyword Tags" to the Forum-post (Photo-Tags showing underneath the Photo at the specific Forum-post) and you have a perfect integrated system.

media_tags_forum.webp

4)
You could literally have it working both ways:
- adding a photo directly to the "Media Gallery" (as currently)
- displaying a photo (which has originally been posted somewhere in a Forum-Thread) at the "Media Gallery"

5)
If a user finds a certain photo in a certain "Category" interesting, he could just click a button named "Add this photo to my Album".
So a user could put certain photos (photos which he did not upload by himself) into his own Albums. Similar to a "Photo Bookmarking System".

:coffee:

This would be the perfect solution.

:)

Last edited:
I'm shopping around for a proper forum script (using MyBB - XenForo tops the list of prospects) and this feature would be key -- my site has over 100,000 attachments.

I'd suggest keeping attachments and the gallery separate initially, but give us the option to pull content, selectively or entirely, from the forum. In the process, attachments could be grouped into albums based on forum category, thread, user, tags or some combination thereof.

Last edited:
Top Bottom