• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

View Pictures across Site on Media Gallery

I like a lot of what is being said here.

I have a newer forum, but already I have had members ask for a way to tie the same photo that is in the Media Gallery to the Forum Thread it is used in. They want it to be that if they are in the Media Gallery and looking at a Photo in there that is used in a thread, that they can click on a button called "Used in Thread" (example) and clicking on that takes them to the Thread that the photo is used in.

To better explain what I'm trying to say basically: (y)(y)

I upload something to a post and it can still be accessed via the Media Gallery, basically if Media Gallery is installed on your xF Install, it becomes the central thing for images across the site.

this suggestion makes a lot of sense.

1)
Since you could put the "Media Gallery" onto the "Homepage" and by clicking onto the photo (or a specific Link under the photo), the users could jump into the respective thread-post where the image has been posted originally.
(Although I think you might want to ditch/disable the "Photo Comments" from the "Media Gallery Addon".)

2)
The "Categories" of the "Media Gallery" could be the same as the "Categories / Forum Nodes" of the Forum itself. So you would have coherent "Categories" at both the "Media Gallery" and the Forums.
For example:
- "Media Gallery Category": Pets
- Forum: Pets

So all pictures which have been posted into the Forum named "Pets" will show up in the "Media Gallery Category" named "Pets".

3)
Add the "Photo Keyword Tags" to the Forum-post (Photo-Tags showing underneath the Photo at the specific Forum-post) and you have a perfect integrated system.

View attachment 90430

4)
You could literally have it working both ways:
- adding a photo directly to the "Media Gallery" (as currently)
- displaying a photo (which has originally been posted somewhere in a Forum-Thread) at the "Media Gallery"

5)
If a user finds a certain photo in a certain "Category" interesting, he could just click a button named "Add this photo to my Album".
So a user could put certain photos (photos which he did not upload by himself) into his own Albums. Similar to a "Photo Bookmarking System".

:coffee:

This would be the perfect solution.

:)
I'm shopping around for a proper forum script (using MyBB - XenForo tops the list of prospects) and this feature would be key -- my site has over 100,000 attachments.

I'd suggest keeping attachments and the gallery separate initially, but give us the option to pull content, selectively or entirely, from the forum. In the process, attachments could be grouped into albums based on forum category, thread, user, tags or some combination thereof.

I think this would be a really useful feature. :unsure::unsure:

Maybe when a user uploads an attachment to a post in the forum, they should be given the option to choose an album for it within the media gallery. If no album is selected, the attachment can still be found in the gallery by clicking on "all pictures/attachments by user X".

I think this would be a really useful feature. :unsure::unsure:

Maybe when a user uploads an attachment to a post in the forum, they should be given the option to choose an album for it within the media gallery. If no album is selected, the attachment can still be found in the gallery by clicking on "all pictures/attachments by user X".
I like the idea that when a Member uploads an attachment into a Thread there is an option for them to pick a Gallery for the Attachment to be stored.

But what gets asked the most from my Members, is if they have uploaded a Photo from the Media Gallery into a Post, that in the Media Gallery there now be a link that will direct someone viewing the Media Gallery to that Thread the photo is used in.