Fixed Video Thumbnail Issue

Joe Link

Trying to get video thumbnails and transcoding to work, starting with the thumbnails. I have FFMPEG binaries setup with the appropriate directories and permissions, version N-81300-gce2217b-static. I've tried from an iPhone 5 and a Moto G without success.

I figured I'd try uploading one of the videos here, and it seems I and others are having the same isue: https://xenforo.com/community/media/categories/test-videos.4/

Any ideas? I'm sure if it's not working here it won't work for me :)

We don't have thumbnail creation enabled here, but local tests are showing that it's working fine.

I'm using the latest FFmpeg (3.1.1) and the latest XFMG.

Incidentally, I downloaded the video that you uploaded here, and tried it locally, and it wouldn't generate a thumbnail from that, so it could be the video that's at fault in this specific case.

If you download this small video, and try to upload it on your own Gallery, hopefully the thumbnail will generate for you, like it does for me:

upload_2016-8-9_20-20-39.webp

https://xenforo.com/community/media/css.1050/download

Other things to check, are to double check the FFmpeg path is specified correctly and also ensure thumbnail creation is actually switched on:

upload_2016-8-9_20-23-0.webp

We don't have thumbnail creation enabled here

Ah that makes a lot more sense :D

I tried with the video you provided (painfully accurate, btw!) and it worked fine. Any idea why it might not work on videos uploaded via mobile devices (both Android and iOS), and what we might do to overcome that?

Ah, well interestingly I just did a test from my own phone with a few videos. One worked, one didn't. One was short, one was longer. The short one didn't work.

This led me to look into the code that was generating the thumbnail and I found a bug. Thumbnails weren't being created for videos shorter than 10 seconds, so that somewhat explains it :)

So we'll fix this in the next release. In the meantime, if necessary, you can add a thumbnail manually. After the next release, you can rebuild thumbnails and this will generate any thumbnails that have been missing.

Thanks for reporting this :)

Top Bottom