• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

vBulletin 4 Importer

I imported my vb4 with this importer to xf 1.0.4 and got only 15% of my attachments imported from file system. It took me two hours and I did not see any error message in the direct import steps. When building the archived_import_log table there was an error in the end, but so far everything looks good in this table. So take a look and compare both attachment tables from source and xf forum.

One possible explanation: I think it is possible that xf only imports attachments you defined in ACP.

I imported my vb4 with this importer to xf 1.0.4 and got only 15% of my attachments imported from file system. It took me two hours and I did not see any error message. So take a look and compare both tables.

I was going to get one forum migrated to vB4 then to xenforo ... but maybe I'll migrate it to vB3 and then to xenforo.

I'm pretty sure Paul built this building from the original 3.x converter that was released with XF, which he picked up on my request. I wouldn't say the code is copyright, considering XF created the basis of it. I don't know why anyone would want to create a new one from the groundup, as Paul has done an amazing job at progressively improving this as more input has been given. I hope someone picks up the existing code and continues to improve upon it.

Paul has done an amazing job at this and maintained it thoroughly throughout. I anticipated that Paul would cease this with his new employment, as lets be honest, there is a conflict of interest.

Paul, thanks for everything you have done with this converter, still very appreciative of your work and I hope you do well with VB.

I'm pretty sure Paul built this building from the original 3.x converter that was released with XF, which he picked up on my request. I wouldn't say the code is copyright, considering XF created the basis of it. I don't know why anyone would want to create a new one from the groundup, as Paul has done an amazing job at progressively improving this as more input has been given. I hope someone picks up the existing code and continues to improve upon it.

Paul has done an amazing job at this and maintained it thoroughly throughout. I anticipated that Paul would cease this with his new employment, as lets be honest, there is a conflict of interest.

Paul, thanks for everything you have done with this converter, still very appreciative of your work and I hope you do well with VB.
Besides the reasons I've listed, I've got a few behind closed doors that make picking up his code a bad idea. I don't plan on rewriting the complete 3,000 line file. I'm basing mine on the 3.x importer. Basically, I'm only writing what needs changed. I have nothing against Paul or his code. But my plans may prove taking over code extremely difficult.

That's what I had assumed, but I was meaning like posts and threads since you rewrote most of them in your importer.
I dont think I did - one or two minor changes I think because XF has smaller fields.

I also changed the progress display to work - based on actual record counts, not ids.

Sure, here is it.
But please first test it on a test installation.

Gave this a go on my test forum (it's taken a loooooong time) and the pre-fix import doesn't work properly :(

Some of the threads have pre-fixes, some don't! very strange and frustrating, very grateful to all the members who are helping with this, just wish the staff would say something! Even if it's because they can't do it because of the law-suit etc... at least we'd know then (unless they've said something and I've missed it?)

Only 1 line changed in 1.280 (a stray commit was removed from the blog importer).
I dont believe the album import has ever changed since it was first added.
Another stray beginTransaction has to be removed too:

PHP:
if ($threadId)
            {
                $first = true;
                $userIdMap = $model->getUserIdsMapFromArray($posts, 'userid');

XenForo_Db::beginTransaction(); //<--this one

foreach ($posts AS $post)

Gave this a go on my test forum (it's taken a loooooong time) and the pre-fix import doesn't work properly :(

Some of the threads have pre-fixes, some don't! very strange and frustrating, very grateful to all the members who are helping with this, just wish the staff would say something! Even if it's because they can't do it because of the law-suit etc... at least we'd know then (unless they've said something and I've missed it?)

Well, I had very small test data to test with i.e. a couple of thread prefixes and a couple of threads, which worked fine. I will try to test it on a larger set of data to see how it works.

Clarify. Is this meant as a full import utility, or an add-on to the other vBulletin 4 add-on?

This is not a separate add-on. This is just Paul vb4 importer with a fix applied.

If you mean the xf.com moderators, personally I've no idea as to the status of the vb4 importer... I really am sorry about that.

Hi Dean,

I guess it's more for the dev's, without knowing the reasons why, just seems very odd the community is having to try and develop a solution to a problem IMO the product should address.

Well, I had very small test data to test with i.e. a couple of thread prefixes and a couple of threads, which worked fine. I will try to test it on a larger set of data to see how it works.

Very odd, it copied them all into the back end, but only applied one (maybe a couple) of the prefixes :(

I guess it's more for the dev's, without knowing the reasons why, just seems very odd the community is having to try and develop a solution to a problem IMO the product should address.
Kier made it clear a while ago that there was little point in duplicating time and effort when this importer worked perfectly well.
The fact that Paul is no longer supporting it is a very recent development.

Over time, no doubt official importers will be included for all the major forum software versions.

After giving it another week, Im afraid I have had to make a final decision.

I started this project just over a year ago, mostly as just a fun little project to see how XF worked, and for my own learning.
One member in particular was very keen and donated a princely sum, which covered all my costs at the time, and a few drinks !
To him I once again give my sincere thanks.

However, time moves on, and I currently find myself not having enough time to support my own existing vBulletin modifications. Fairly obviously, they take precedence for me over anything XF related - and since I cannot even maintain them in a timely fashion atm, its not possible for me to spend any time on this.

Therefore with immediate effect, this Importer is now unsupported by myself.
I grant full permission for anyone to take any existing code I wrote and adapt it as they see fit to any importer project they may be working on.

Thanks for all the support, comments, suggestions & donations over the last year.

After giving it another week, Im afraid I have had to make a final decision.

I started this project just over a year ago, mostly as just a fun little project to see how XF worked, and for my own learning.
One member in particular was very keen and donated a princely sum, which covered all my costs at the time, and a few drinks !
To him I once again give my sincere thanks.

However, time moves on, and I currently find myself not having enough time to support my own existing vBulletin modifications. Fairly obviously, they take precedence for me over anything XF related - and since I cannot even maintain them in a timely fashion atm, its not possible for me to spend any time on this.

Therefore with immediate effect, this Importer is now unsupported by myself.
I grant full permission for anyone to take any existing code I wrote and adapt it as they see fit to any importer project they may be working on.

Thanks for all the support, comments, suggestions & donations over the last year.
Thank you a ton Paul, for starting this project, writing the mod, making it available here for everyone and for responsibly supporting it till possible.:)

And also thank you for letting us know when you could no longer support it. Your reasons are genuine and I'm sure everyone would understand your stance as well. (y)

Thank you Paul, I really like your work and appreciate your followup. I meant no offense by the remark just illustrating the position you are in with a conflict of interest.

Top Bottom