vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire vB5 code and support forum comments should be entered as exhibits in the lawsuit along with a motion to dismiss. Dozens of programmers along with a few extra years built something that is embarrassingly distant from Xenforo's first release years ago, which supposedly stole vBulletin's technology. Fabian Schonholz is probably the happiest guy right now.

You see what I corrected? :D

I still say that IB bought out Jelsoft to have their own in-house development team, in order to inject more monetization options into the core of vB. This enhances their site "properties" that they own. As long as they satisfy the needs of their many discussion boards, whatever they make on vB licensing is gravy.

Interesting theory - but I think they will be proven wrong in their calcs about the future value of many of the web properties they purchased.

As a wise man told me about IB and their ILK (this guy WAS really involved in inventing the modern net):
"We must constantly resist the total commercialization of the Web - there needs to be room for sharing with no money changing hands. If that becomes outlawed, the Web will decline.
Whoever names their company Internet Brands is on a mission to, well, brand the entire Internet by seizing what they see to be public lands. The Natives don't appreciate that."
If you compare the sites they have taken over - example: Steves Digicams - to those run by folks who are more like "the natives" - example: Dpreview - I think you will agree that the bulk commercialization of forums is not going to work in the long run. As I have said before, I think things look very different from Southern Cal then they do elsewhere.... (a cultural thing, perhaps!).

The prices are a joke as well, and again those who have invested the most into vBulletin have to pay the highest fees. 49$ saved when upgrading before 30th September plus additional costs if you need ticket support after 30 days. Ja nee, ist klar...

Interesting theory - but I think they will be proven wrong in their calcs about the future value of many of the web properties they purchased.

My only point there is that they now control the software they use on their web properties. The sole purpose to run all those sites is to generate money, and what better way to inject monetization (both visible and hidden) than to have your own team create exactly what you need.

Agreed--a lot of their properties may fail over time as interests on the Web ebb and flow. Heck, there was one Acura forum I nearly posted on, until I discovered it was one of theirs. I bailed. :D

Whoever names their company Internet Brands is on a mission to, well, brand the entire Internet by seizing what they see to be public lands. The Natives don't appreciate that."

I will say I don't mind some form of monetization or advertising to help keep a site afloat--it takes money. But to go on a grab of so many sites for the sole purpose of making money just seems so empty. I run several sites myself, and whatever little I make through monetization helps 1) pay the server bills and 2) compensates me for my time taken away from other paying work (after several years of not collecting anything for my countless hours). Plus, if I build my own community, or assist/volunteer at a community as a moderator or admin, I am also a part of that community and either build it out myself or care about its outcome. I have a personal interest. For me to pull an IB and just start acquiring possible future profits via sites and forums is totally out of character for me.

If you compare the sites they have taken over - example: Steves Digicams - to those run by folks who are more like "the natives" - example: Dpreview - I think you will agree that the bulk commercialization of forums is not going to work in the long run.

They took over Steve's Digicams?? Aw man... :(

As I have said before, I think things look very different from Southern Cal then they do elsewhere.... (a cultural thing, perhaps!).

They be smokin' some funny sh!t down there. :D

The prices are a joke as well, and again those who have invested the most into vBulletin have to pay the highest fees. 49$ saved when upgrading before 30th September plus additional costs if you need ticket support after 30 days. Ja nee, ist klar...

Adding up our discounts, we would get the full $100 off. But no...we're not biting. I posted a link to both vB's own beta and Shamil's site, and one of my staffers already didn't like it.

A shame. They really could have pulled a rabbit out of the hat and come back with a clean, lean forum system to put themselves on top of the heap. Their own mission statement reads that site owners today want a platform to build a site around, not necessarily a forum. Well, hate to break the bad news, but I have built some really nice sites myself using only WordPress as a base, and adding a good theme or framework, and the appropriate plugins, to build something clients have exactly been looking for. The vB4 system (CMS, Blog, etc.) for building a site never appealed to us--the tools were too limited to be of any use to us. With WordPress (and I know Drupal and others are similar), there is often a readily available plugin to add the functionality we need. It just feels more "open" than the locked-in architecture of vB.

It's almost like vB tried to reinvent the wheel, but being designed by committee, it came out rectangular...

Their own mission statement reads that site owners today want a platform to build a site around, not necessarily a forum.

I recently made a post about this. I think that "whole site" solutions are a mistake (if I may be so bold):

I would actually argue that forum applications should be judged on the basis of their forum component. Other applications like vB and IPB have fallen into the trap of trying to become whole site solutions. Feature creep galore. Especially vB... all focus for vB5 appears to be on non-forum features. The same was true for vB4. Meanwhile the forum component slowly rots.

I would also go farther and argue that customers who want whole site solutions are wrong in a sense. There are exceptions of course. But it has been my observation that the majority of forum sites gain little by installing peripheral applications. It is usually just an attempt to dress up the forum so that the site appears more complete, when in reality the site is the forum and the extra applications function more as garnish that is largely ignored by the user.

Focus on what matters, the forum application. And if you compare the forum components of XF, vB, and IPB, then XenForo is really holds its own. Big forums especially love XenForo because of its low resource usage. That translates into big savings in server costs. vB and IPB are resource hogs in comparison.

In short, when you turn a forum application into a "whole site" solution you end up with a plate full of garnish which is inedible. What you should be focusing on is the meat and potatoes. And if your customers demand garnish then you should ignore them. Serve them meat and potatoes and they will be healthier for it.

vB5 has little similarities to a forum and seems more like a very bad facebook knockoff. If i didnt know better i would think vB5 was created in a high school computer software class.

I recently made a post about this. I think that "whole site" solutions are a mistake (if I may be so bold):

In short, when you turn a forum application into a "whole site" solution you end up with a plate full of garnish which is inedible. What you should be focusing on is the meat and potatoes. And if your customers demand garnish then you should ignore them. Serve them meat and potatoes and they will be healthier for it.
You hit the nail on the head with this. I was shocked to find out that they actually did what I dreaded they would do - force URL changes in VB 5. By trying to go for the original vision of "the most powerful community software in the universe" they ended up disregarding the fact that 99.9% of their customer sites were strictly forums. The only reason I even considered moving to VB 4 was because the URLs wouldn't change so I wouldn't need 301 redirects and possibly take a ranking hit. At this point, moving to any software from VB 3 or VB 4 to VB 5 is no easier than moving to XenForo, IPB or another software that is far more mature than VB 5. Your vBulletin plugins and templates are all gone too and none can be adequately created because they are so far away from having a stable core. So I'd say you are way ahead of the game by moving from VB3/4 to Xenforo than you are to Vb 5.

I honestly didn't think that after they seemed to abandon development on VB 4 for such a long time that VB 5 would look this poor. And I certainly didn't think they would have the cojones to try to sell it when it barely looks like a beta. One can only wonder whether they are getting heat for having expended far too much money on the vBulletin product (and lawsuit) resulting in vBulletin Solutions Inc. operating deeply in the red. It took years for IB to fix vBulletin 4 until it was actually usable. I'd say that vBulletin 5 is even less mature than vB 4 was when it was released and that was a record setting low. My only disappointment is that I didn't sell all of my vB 4 licenses when I had the chance. I was taken by surprise that they launched this thing.

I honestly didn't think that after they seemed to abandon development on VB 4 for such a long time that VB 5 would look this poor. And I certainly didn't think they would have the cojones to try to sell it when it barely looks like a beta.
You missed the vB4 pre-sale days, huh? Because it's exactly the same, but now with a viewable beta.

I agree completely. :) XenForo does a forum, and they do it well. I know others may want blogs, CMS, galleries, etc., but I already have solutions for those. I'm sure the XF crew could put together some really nice software for all of those, but then that takes away the efforts toward working on the core product: discussion board software.

I read a book 25 years ago that dealt with the concept of "positioning". Here is a perfect example. Xerox became known as the company that made copying machines, so much that everyone began using their company name as the generic term for copying: "Go Xerox that page for me, will you?" When Xerox expanded into personal computers, they were outside their area of expertise...and their computer products failed miserably in the marketplace. If vB had stuck to developing their core product, vB5 could have been unbeatable. Heck, XF may never have happened if Jelsoft were still around with all the developers still in place.

Or to put another spin on it--if I were asked to setup some sort of site built around a blog or CMS system, I'd be looking at WordPress, Joomla, Drupal or many others. vB would never even enter my mind--they have been associated with forum software going on a decade now, and that image is still with them. Someone buying vB5 now may be sorely disappointed if they were looking for the old reliable vB3.5 they used to run several years ago.

I honestly didn't think that after they seemed to abandon development on VB 4 for such a long time that VB 5 would look this poor. And I certainly didn't think they would have the cojones to try to sell it when it barely looks like a beta.

Beta? Based on what I saw, I'd have called it "alpha." It may be good when it finally leaves beta/RC status, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing. We've been with vB since 3.0, and I think I came on board as admin just before I upped us to 3.5.

Can't say I'm angry. Disappointed though? Definitely. I expected better.

Holy crap, it's awful.

Guys, I'll go grab a shovel. It's time to dig a grave.

Perhaps I should hand you the "Digg" shovel? Ugh, nevermind, that was "buried" along with "Digg".

digg%20logo%20Icon.jpg

I'm going to forgive them a little bit on the performance of their official server...

Well I was able to handle 30,000 concurrent users on a server designed for 2,000 users when a thread someone posted was featured on Reddit. That was at a load average of around 2.50. It only became overloaded because the sessions table was full. Once I increased max_heap_table_size, it was able to handle 90,000 over a 1 hour period.

That's all on 3.x.

Internet Brands has a lot of money. If they can't afford more than 1 quad-core server with 16GB of DDR3, then god help us all.

in case you have missed it check out the video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom