vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trainwreck that is VB5

I went ahead and saved a number threads from the Vb5 Connect forum, in case they 'disappeared' later on. This is the most revealing picture available to us, about the progress and future of vb5.

Threads were output in Printable format and saved as pdfs, to be comprehensive.

1. Thread: "I am not really trying to be negative"

2. Thread (by a VB dev): "Read Me First: Upgrade Issues and Restrictions"

3. Thread: "VB5 Demo Feedback" (8 pages of posts, printed as 2 pdfs).

This is the main feedback thread about vb5, 8 pages long at the time when it was printed into a PDF, so be sure to read it.

4. Thread: "Speed on page loading"

LizardKing

Wayne Luke (VB dev)

LizardKing

At this point, I have to reiterate Jake's post from another thread:

The view about VB should probably no longer be animosity but pity.

Isn't it also the trainwreck known as Internet Brands? After all they did try to take on Wikimedia and Wikipedia :p

I have nothing against vBulletin or IB since I was never a customer - BUT, it makes perfect sense that people disconnected from reality would rework a forum based on the "social media craze". After all, they see the Facebook (ripoff) and figure maybe some will rub off on them! I'm sure untold billions are being, wrongly IMHO, thrown at the Social Media Revolution.
It really is a shame that XF development has been stalled because vBulletin seems to have given up on the core forum market. :censored:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/sho...e-excitement?p=2333647&viewfull=1#post2333647

Wayne Luke said:
These days, most of our customers are not building Forums. They are building Websites and want a variety of options for their users. The Blog was added in 3.6 based on customer demand.

Funny you mention it. Microsoft had one real bad release and that was windows vista. After that, they tried again and created windows 7, a perfectly fine OS, everything that vista was meant to be.
Seems like you forgot Windows ME. :unsure:

I think the new vBulletin looks exactly like the old with some minor style and color changes. It somehow gives you a feeling of being "tacky". vBulletin has become a Fiat while Xenforo is like a BMW, meaning well designed.

Maybe my server load is less, but it's slightly faster on my install (http://shamil.co.uk/connect).

Probably because only a few of us are browsing it. ;)

I did try to get to the vB5 beta today (I was trying to search the forum for help with our vB3.7 big board), and was not impressed at all. The worst part is that is was so darned slow, I could barely navigate anything. The one thing I saw which was extremely bothersome was the comments on posts...and the thread I read had many others complaining about it also. I do know that the entire vB site is slow, likely because everyone is trying to check out that beta...yet even when I've been on their site as of late, it has been draggy.

I hopped over to your test forum, and I quickly went around in circles, not really knowing where I was. Was I in a forum area? Was I in a thread? I don't really know. And why do I have to click "See More" to view the rest of a post? Oh wait...I wasn't in the discussion (topic? thread?) at all. Or was I? I have no clue where I was!

Various UI elements are broken also. Too many to detail here.

My first impression: trainwreck.

I am on the fence now about converting our big board to XF, yet there is no way I could ever try to train end users to find their way around vB5. XF is just so much more inviting and user-friendly. Comfortable, if you will, while still being modern and powerful. It also sticks to what users are familiar with: a linear discussion (or thread) with older posts on the top, and no hunting and pecking to find out where they are at.

Innovation Monetization brought to you by Internet Brands. :LOL:

You see what I corrected? :D

I still say that IB bought out Jelsoft to have their own in-house development team, in order to inject more monetization options into the core of vB. This enhances their site "properties" that they own. As long as they satisfy the needs of their many discussion boards, whatever they make on vB licensing is gravy.

It's not slow because of the server. On the home page alone, I'm spouting around 102-106 database queries. It also gives you a hell of a lot of javascript files to download at the initial page load

Holy crap!!! That would pound the bee-juice out of our poor little dedicated server!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom