vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps that's another reason they filed it, to create uncertainty with potential buyers of XF.

That is exactly why. IB said as much in the original lawsuit announcement:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly. We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.
We consider Kier and Mike to be talented developers, but ones who potentially fail to grasp the implications of their actions.

$49/month? When you're already spending $200+ on substandard software. No thanks. Goodbye vBulletin.
It's incredible. As a customer of them still using the 3 series (which is completely outdated but at least decent until we can move to a better solution) I seriously can not understand how other customers of them can convince themselves to upgrade and pay this much money. And I know a majority of their customers make less money from their forums than we do. I used to be excited about vBulletin and upgraded almost every single release. This has completely changed since IB took over. You can just feel that money is at the center and customer service and product quality has moved to the sides for this company. I haven't visited their forums for a while now, but surely I can't be alone. They must have some die hard fanboys to be able to keep them as customers. IB better pray they win the lawsuit because otherwise I honestly can't see how they can be competitive and stay in business for long.

That is exactly why. IB said as much in the original lawsuit announcement:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

Which basically translates for me into...

"We here at Internet Brands clearly recognize the superiority of XenForo over any current product offered by our company, vBulletin. So much so that we view this current alternative (XenForo) to our products and services a threat to our lessor products and services.

Rather admit this and innovate through proper competition and further development. We have decided to abuse our resources and attempt to discredit a superior product and company through legal means, because what we lack in development, we sure do make up on lawyer fees."

The trainwreck that is VB5

I went ahead and saved several important threads from the vbulletin.com's Vb5 Customer Forum, in case they 'disappeared' later on. This is the most revealing picture available to us, about the progress and future of vb5.

Threads were output in Printable format and printed into PDFs (attached at the bottom of this post).

1. Thread: "I am not really trying to be negative"

OP in the thread said:
    I have taken some time to look over the VB 5 Connect Demo and I must say that my confidence in this company is severely shaken. Please tell me that what I am seeing is a pre-alpha stage concept and not the final product? Not only is what I see beyond stuck-in-the-mud sluggish, there are fewer features than a 1997 version of common forum software. I really gave this an open minded look and am so bummed out right now. PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is nowhere near finished? PLEASE?!?

2. Thread (by a VB dev): "Read Me First: Upgrade Issues and Restrictions"

OP in the thread said:
    If you rely on the following features for your community to work properly, you should refrain from upgrading until their functionality is restored.

CMS/Article Management
    Paid Subscriptions
    Localization / Additional Languages
    Infractions.
    Pre-purchased Custom Styles
    Third-Party Custom Addons

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q. None of my vBulletin 4 Addons work.
    A. These are not supported in vBulletin 5.

Q. None of my vBulletin Styles work.
    A. These are not supported in vBulletin 5.

Q. There is no place for my users to purchase Paid Subscriptions
    A. Paid Subscirptions are not supported in vBulletin 5. They will return in a future version.

Q. What happened to the CMS and all my articles?
    A. The CMS/Article System is not support in vBulletin 5.0. It will return in a future version. Your articles are being kept safe in a hidden channel and will return when the CMS is released.

3. Thread: "VB5 Demo Feedback" (8 pages of posts, printed as 2 pdfs).

This is the main feedback thread about vb5, 8 pages long when printed into a PDF, so be sure to read it.

sample post said:
    Not terribly impressive... vB5 takes roughly 3x longer to load, requires more HTTP requests, requires 1.3MB of downloaded stuff to render a single page (ok really... WHAT THE F*CK?!? I thought vB4 took too much and it's under 300KB)

To me, it looks like vB5 has a long way to go. 1.3M of download to render a page............ lol

I also ran a similar test on my computer directly and the same thing... 18.6 seconds to render the main forum page that has 1 forum (took 73 HTTP requests).
    Just ONE CSS file is 424KB. /sigh

4. Thread: "Speed on page loading"

Lizard King said:
    Is there a specific reason why pages load so slow on vB5 ? I checked it against vBulletin 4 installation on vbulletin.com and vB5 loads pages way slower compared to vB4 Here is a quick video i recorded that can show the slow loading. http://www.screencast.com/t/LyrToslaixm

Wayne Luke (VB dev) said:
    It is a beta and hasn't had all its performance tweaking done yet.

Lizard King said:
    Hello Wayne ,

Isn't vB5 currently in beta stage ? I , as a customer , will expect a new coded engine run faster if it is put on stage as Beta.

You mentioned optimisations have not been implemented yet. I expect all code optimisations would already exist in code as it is released as Beta and put on Sale now.

At this point I have to agree with Jake's post from another thread: the view towards VB should probably no longer be animosity, but pity.
I would be more concerned about vB losing the lawsuit. A legal loss to coincide with a major software release would not be good for them. :(

Attachments

View attachment 34002
I mean, really. Either Zachery's trying to be stupid, or the marketing communication has just failed.

It's like a baby asking "Momy, what's a spoon?"
So I logged in to answer his reply and saw that I got banned.

I was going to link him to the vB5 video that's on the demo page: https://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

But no point now since I'm banned. Well Zachary if your lurking Xenforo, that's the video I was talking about ^^^

You have no idea how HARD I laughed at that over here. You're #@^&ing killing me here! :ROFLMAO:

I was planning on writing a full blown press release, and including features such as "disconnecting users through proprietary banning algorithms" and "Database Error Mode" that shows users database error messages when the forum detects database errors.

Well Zachary if your lurking Xenforo, that's the video I was talking about
You don't really need to point it out to him. If he can't handle questions like that, then screw vBulletin. He just lost another customer.

Like I and someone else said: High disconnect between marketing team and devs.
I was planning on writing a full blown press release, and including features such as "disconnecting users through proprietary banning algorithms"
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Its gettin late and the wave of posts will not stop.
Before leaving for today i would like to see kier and co back in here (y) I mean, kier was last seen end of august???
Its scaring me a bit.
With a bit of Breaktru i´ll say good night. Keep da heads up

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well that one too :whistle:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is that a nappy? :sleep:

vBulletin 5 Fail:

I DID SELECT AN OPTION, DAMN IT!
Capture - vBulletin Fail.webp

You don't really need to point it out to him. If he can't handle questions like that, then screw vBulletin. He just lost another customer.

Like I and someone else said: High disconnect between marketing team and devs.

:ROFLMAO::LOL:
lol well I'm not buying. I don't think my members would like it. I had a hard time just getting most of them to accept xenforo.

Just want to make skins for it that's all. I don't care if they get mad cause I think it looks bad.

The whole point of design is making dull stuff look good... or just attempting to.

LOL, I'm LOL'ing out loud so hard. They had this long to make something so great and THAT was all they could do? R O T F L M A O

Reactions: vVv
I have nothing against VBB or IB since I was never a customer - BUT, it makes perfect sense that people disconnected from reality would rework a forum based on the "social media craze". After all, they see the Facebook (ripoff) and figure maybe some will rub off on them! I'm sure untold billions are being, wrongly IMHO, thrown at the Social Media Revolution.

Of course, like any such fad, parts of it are real...but they have been happening all along. If there is anything that has been proven solid, it is that internet users enjoy the standard forum format! All that was needed are technical improvements and perhaps the ability to do better add-ons (and not mess with core, like XF). Better searches and other such features would also be on my menu.

But, as disconnected people often do, it appears they over-thought it. Then, because of their inability to attract real talent (talent does not want to work for companies they don't have a piece of, or feel connected to)...they outsourced the code ala Microsloth, creating a probable hairball.

Of course, I don't know any of this as a fact - just an old tired business guy ruminating. If a company wanted to really do things right, they'd hire me at $250/hr to tell then what they don't want to hear. It would be the best value they ever had. But, having read some of Brisco's blog, I don't get the idea this is a dude who thinks...as well all should...that he is often wrong.
:D

I have nothing against vBulletin or IB since I was never a customer - BUT, it makes perfect sense that people disconnected from reality would rework a forum based on the "social media craze". After all, they see the Facebook (ripoff) and figure maybe some will rub off on them! I'm sure untold billions are being, wrongly IMHO, thrown at the Social Media Revolution.

Of course, like any such fad, parts of it are real...but they have been happening all along. If there is anything that has been proven solid, it is that internet users enjoy the standard forum format! All that was needed are technical improvements and perhaps the ability to do better add-ons (and not mess with core, like XF). Better searches and other such features would also be on my menu.

But, as disconnected people often do, it appears they over-thought it. Then, because of their inability to attract real talent (talent does not want to work for companies they don't have a piece of, or feel connected to)...they outsourced the code ala Microsloth, creating a probable hairball.

Of course, I don't know any of this as a fact - just an old tired business guy ruminating. If a company wanted to really do things right, they'd hire me at $250/hr to tell then what they don't want to hear. It would be the best value they ever had. But, having read some of Brisco's blog, I don't get the idea this is a dude who thinks...as well all should...that he is often wrong.
:D
I don't think that Brisco guy had anything to do with vB5. He seems like the kind of person that delegates authority and just let the underling's handle it.

And they sure handled it...

Funny you mention it. Microsoft had one real bad release and that was windows vista. After that, they tried again and created windows 7, a perfectly fine OS, everything that vista was meant to be.

Now, if IB would do that with vB5, in addition to some small gestures to please the crowd (like an extra discount for those that are longterm licenseholders, or bought vB4 during the pre-sale) they could easily win back a lot. Instead, they chose the moneygrabbing route again, making upgrading nearly as costly as a new license, and ditched free ticket support exchanging it for a paid product for quite some money. This hurts the opinions about them, even to those that never even used the ticket support.

History will repeat itself, and they haven't learned a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom