vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You fellas are acting like their QC team!
Hopefully, they won't look at this thread and/or make changes based on it, or a class action suit against them may result!
;)

You fellas are acting like their QC team!
Hopefully, they won't look at this thread and/or make changes based on it, or a class action suit against them may result!
;)

Short of a full re-write i dont think it matters how much QC is done, the product is not going to be viable for any large forum on a performance issue alone.

I would register to post there but every thread/post/node I read tells me that I'm not authorized to view the page.

????

Something simple like that type of permissions couldn't get fixed before Beta 10?

I'll give vB a break for the slow speed at the moment, but it doesn't feel like it's something that would convince me to register on a site to provide my content.

They already failed with the facebook app, they'll probably fail again.

The CMS, paid subscriptions, and other stuff won't be finished for a while yet, but they don't have a problem trying to get people pay for the whole suite before any of the other stuff is ready yet.

My jaw dropped at the forum display menu! It takes you to the #@^&ing content stream! Not your typical thread display listing!

They think they will innovate with this tactic. lol. lol. lol. :ROFLMAO:

ARGH! I can't look at this abomination anymore!

Their ForumCon hype will bite them in the @$$ once this is released. *laughs, and continues to laugh as he leaves* :ROFLMAO:

vBulletin customers will get even more pissed off than that vB4 fiasco. I'm calling it right now: Even more customers will leave in droves at a scale that has never seen before.

I'm sooooo glad I moved to xenForo. As Gordon Ramsey would say: This is just embarrassing.

The ONLY thing(s) I like about vB5 is the post bit. And the ability to put your video on the right column over there. I like that "Post thread" button navi follows you.. That's it.
This was a source of a lot of confusion, and complaints.

There are 4 ways to display content. Originally, it was being displayed as "Activity Stream." What we as forum users and admins are used to is the traditional thread display. This is found under the tab "Topics." This is a setting that the admin can set (default view), you can also re-order the tabs as well.

I agree the default view they had was bad...really bad. But that's only an option, not a forced view. And after several complaints, they've changed that view to the more traditional forum display.

Holy crap, it's awful.

Guys, I'll go grab a shovel. It's time to dig a grave.

RIP vBulletin.

EDIT: I think, to be fair, it might be slightly unfair judging this as we are on a Beta product... I wasn't around at the time, but I assume the first XF beta wasn't this piss poor?
No, as I mention in my first post, XF beta was much more polished. vb5 beta seems more like alpha.

Traditional SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) treats the beta as a frozen product but with bug fixes. Granted some of these fixes may be performance related, however expect not much additional changes to the actual product and that the product you see going forward will not change much.
When asked about why vb5 was so sluggish, Wayne.Luke explained that this is beta and they have not much optimizing of the code yet. I'm not an experienced coder, so I don't know if that is common practice or not. One poster however, said that this was not common practice and that optimization begins with even creating the code vs pushing it out, then going back to optimize.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/407225-Speed-on-page-loading

/shrugs

Screenshot from 2012-09-12 11:09:21.webp

When asked about why vb5 was so sluggish, Wayne.Luke explained that this is beta and they have not much optimizing of the code yet. I'm not an experienced coder, so I don't know if that is common practice or not. One poster however, said that this was not common practice and that optimization begins with even creating the code vs pushing it out, then going back to optimize.

/shrugs

Yes, generally you will optimize code as you write it. Though it's normal that you do have an optimization phase somewhere during the beta, this is only for global optimization that was missed or delayed during development.

Seems to me they disregarded optimization at all though, and just started writing crappy code and figure "it'll all work out in the end".

At 500ms of rendering nothing but a major refactor of your codebase is going to save this ship.

Is there any evidence of an MVC framework, as was promised? I assume if there is one, it's home-grown?

I heard that there are 2 config files that need to be set, one for the core product, and one for the front end UI that uses the API to talk to the core product.

And why would they want to release this beta on the day of Apple's announcement? I don't see any advantage in that.

/shrugs
I'm by no means an experienced developer like Naatan or Robbo. I'm very much a beginner. But even I know that some of the code demonstrated by Robbo is just crap. And that's coming from someone whose own code is probably crap in places.

As for the optimizing of code, for me if 1 query too many creeps in to my code as I'm going along I fix it immediately before moving on to something else. I don't know whether it's right or wrong, but in my mind you make your code as good as it can be as you go along otherwise it becomes too tempting to think "well it works, I'll release" and I prefer to know that I'm developing the best thing I possibly can.

I'm by no means an experienced developer like Naatan or Robbo. I'm very much a beginner. But even I know that some of the code demonstrated by Robbo is just crap. And that's coming from someone whose own code is probably crap in places.

As for the optimizing of code, for me if 1 query too many creeps in to my code as I'm going along I fix it immediately before moving on to something else. I don't know whether it's right or wrong, but in my mind you make your code as good as it can be as you go along otherwise it becomes too tempting to think "well it works, I'll release" and I prefer to know that I'm developing the best thing I possibly can.
And that is what makes you an outstanding developer

Off topic..... Does anyone notice the share buttons here on XenForo have changed? (Someone is working XenForo)

I'll give IB some credit, at least they released something customers could play with before they were encouraged to buy it.

I find it a little incredulous that Wayne Luke they would encourage purchasing a beta product knowing that the code isn't optimized.

This demo doesn't look good at all. vBulletin is not progressing, unfortunately, it still uses the same 5-7 years old techniques in design. I took a look at html and css and it's even worse. No html5 semantics, no SEO optimization (missing headers). Media Queries adaptation is average, just basic display: none; and menu trigger. All in all this needs a lot of polishing before seeing the light of the day.

Will be interesting to see who will be looking for new jobs over the next couple of months at IB. I dont even think the term "EPIC FAIL" sums this one up.

Generally optimising should be in the back of your head all the time and it comes down to the code design you do before writing a thing, even if it is 10 minutes thinking about it in your head. And what you do is also correct, you see somewhere that could be done better for performance (especially important with queries like your example) and you fix it there and then unless it would take a lot to fix, in which case you make a note.
I'm teaching someone to program in PHP with XenForo and we are making a little staff tracker add-on and I spent a good 30 minutes (should have been less but I had distractions) simply thinking about how to query the posts in the best way. Looking at vb5 they don't do any of this kind of code design at all. They just write crap.

I'm going to be brave and make an early prediction that vB5 will be a commercial flop with a further two years of patching and "updating" during which time the competition will overtake them and the vBulletin name and brand will lose traction and potentially fall into the annals of Internet software history.

A shame really when you consider the halcyon days of vB3.
I agree with you in your assessment of how poorly IB is run, with regards to vb anyway.

However, I don't know that I would agree it is going to be a flop. I think a more accurate statement would be that among those who are seasoned board admins, coders and designers...vb5 is an inferior product. But vb5 will probably still be a profit maker for IB. They do have the brand name and are still the biggest name out there, which means that newcomers may be more likely to flock to them.

I don't think IB is a company that focuses on quality to make a profit...I think to them, it's more about quantity. And so far, that business approach seems to be working.

How about the ACP? Is it the same confusing menu navigation as in vb3 and 4 or did they changed that too?
The marketing screenshots resembled more of something similar to XF's ACP. But the working screenshots I've seen look just like a cleaned up vb3/vb5 ACP.

In reality, it doesn't look like they have changed much of the ACP at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom