vb5 beta released, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't understand how anyone could be paid for this quality for work. I am literally just stunned going through the code.

I can't understand how anyone could be paid for this quality for work. I am literally just stunned going through the code.

Give us a taste(example)! I need to see the l33t codes that were on the white board that started this whole mess!

I don't want to be pasting code but I will pick a random spot and explain the stupidity in it.

Sounds good. I am just pumped I have something to do all day now! The posts that are going to be coming from both sides are going to be pure awesome. Get your popcorn ready! :)

It's a double-whammy too with the $199 for a year's ticket support (after the first 30 days)!!!

Wow. Just wow! :eek:

The file that starts everything off has a big switch statement, goes for 70 lines. All it does is convert lower case strings into case sensitive strings. So I'll make an example with peoples names here...

Code:
switch ($theCase)
{
    case 'slavik':
        $class = 'Slavik';
        break;
    case 'robbo':
        $class = 'Robbo';
        break;
    case 'namewithmixed':
        $class = 'NameWithMixed';
        break;
    // etc
}
Now this is terrible for multiple reasons. It is used to take calls from their API to controllers or something.
First thing all they had to do for most of these is this...
$class = ucfirst($theCase);
However they also have a terrible design flaw in general which causes bad naming like the namewithmixed I did. All they had to do is something along the lines of make their api seperate words with "-". So name-with-mixed.
This would be easier to read, better design and more importantly they could use various methods to convert to their class that are way better than a massive switch.

I am just shocked.. I mean, this can't be what they are releasing, it just can't.. If this is close to the final VB 5 product, then it is a stellar example of why you cannot outsource software development to China. I am just in disbelief over here. I hope this isn't being too negative but wow, I just can't believe it! I tested this forum and it is like a stripped down version of PHPBB 1.0. I wish the lawsuit was over, because I can definitely see our migration to other platforms agenda moving away from the back burner. This is absolutely insane.

The file that starts everything off has a big switch statement, goes for 70 lines. All it does is convert lower case strings into case sensitive strings. So I'll make an example with peoples names here...

Code:
switch ($theCase)
{
    case 'slavik':
        $class = 'Slavik';
        break;
    case 'robbo':
        $class = 'Robbo';
        break;
    case 'namewithmixed':
        $class = 'NameWithMixed';
        break;
    // etc
}
Now this is terrible for multiple reasons. It is used to take calls from their API to controllers or something.
First thing all they had to do for most of these is this...
$class = ucfirst($theCase);
However they also have a terrible design flaw in general which causes bad naming like the namewithmixed I did. All they had to do is something along the lines of make their api seperate words with "-". So name-with-mixed.
This would be easier to read, better design and more importantly they could use various methods to convert to their class that are way better than a massive switch.

Add to all of that the fact that their routing is not automated -at all- and we've got one hell of a crappy piece of code.

it is a stellar example of why you cannot outsource software development to China.

Source? Has it been said that vB5 development is outsourced?

I did think it smelled of outsourced code while reading it, that or they only hired juniors.

Everything is also inconsistant. Different coding styles all over and then this helpful bit of commenting I came across...
I'll change the code but it is the same thing...
Code:
        // Set file
        if ($fileVar)
        {
            $this->fileVar = $fileVar;
        }

Lucky they told us, I'm sure no one would have known what was going on there!

Source? Has it been said that vB5 development is outsourced?

I did think it smelled of outsourced code while reading it, that or they only hired juniors.

I remember reading something about them outsourcing stuff to China in the lawsuit papers..

Just saw this HTML code posted by DP:

<html id="htmlTag" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US" dir="ltr" class=" js flexbox no-touch hashchange history rgba hsla multiplebgs backgroundsize borderimage borderradius boxshadow textshadow opacity cssanimations csscolumns cssgradients cssreflections csstransforms csstransforms3d csstransitions fontface generatedcontent cookies no-bgpositionshorthand cssfilters lastchild boxsizing mediaqueries no-overflowscrolling cssremunit subpixelfont pointerevents cssresize cssscrollbar filereader placeholder fileinput formvalidation no-firefox">

That is their opening HTML tag... :eek:

Edit, damn I think someone posted this already~! :(

Just saw this HTML code posted by DP:

<html id="htmlTag" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml" xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US" dir="ltr" class=" js flexbox no-touch hashchange history rgba hsla multiplebgs backgroundsize borderimage borderradius boxshadow textshadow opacity cssanimations csscolumns cssgradients cssreflections csstransforms csstransforms3d csstransitions fontface generatedcontent cookies no-bgpositionshorthand cssfilters lastchild boxsizing mediaqueries no-overflowscrolling cssremunit subpixelfont pointerevents cssresize cssscrollbar filereader placeholder fileinput formvalidation no-firefox">

That is their opening HTML tag... :eek:

Edit, damn I think someone posted this already~! :(
... sigh. Just... I've seen a heap of classes added before by JS libraries but really? And id="htmlTag"??

This pisses me off. I am broke, barely paying bills. And people are getting paid a lot of money to do that!

I am just shocked.. I mean, this can't be what they are releasing, it just can't.. If this is close to the final VB 5 product, then it is a stellar example of why you cannot outsource software development to China. I am just in disbelief over here. I hope this isn't being too negative but wow, I just can't believe it! I tested this forum and it is like a stripped down version of PHPBB 1.0. I wish the lawsuit was over, because I can definitely see our migration to other platforms agenda moving away from the back burner. This is absolutely insane.

Don't know if it was outsourced or not. Mind it there is nothing wrong with outsourcing or hiring people from China or any other place, as long as you pick quality people. But I would say it's not fair to criticize the end developer. I would blame the project lead and / or code reviewers.

At the end of the day what this all means is that we, the end users are left in a less than ideal situation. I was hoping VB5 would be solid, given Allen and Paul (and other VB4 developer's ) good work on latest VB4, which has now turned into a very nice product (minus the blogs and CMS). But obviously, I do not forsee VB5 being at all usable in any way for at least another year, more likely 2+ years. And Xenforo being in development deadlock, it means they are stagnating.

IPB is making the right noises but I have never really liked their software. The last time I used it, it was resource heavy and too clunky for my liking. So I should probably now wait and see how IPB 4 (isn't that the new version?) comes out.

Best situation is of course, if XF were to win the lawsuit and Kier and Mike can again get back to development. But in reality, that also may be another year with appeals and counter appeals and second UK case etc. etc. So Overall, it seems the best thing to do, for anyone who is seriously into the forum business is to just wait and sit out with whatever you are using for another year and see where the players are then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom