VB 3x end of life

So your switching from running a forum to using WordPress instead altogether. And moving all your forum content into WP?
I think he is working on the wordpress portion of his site, and is intending on converting to XF when that is done.

I think he is working on the wordpress portion of his site, and is intending on converting to XF when that is done.
I read it that way too...

I tend to agree though that there's no way IB is likely to allow anyone else to keep the 3.x codebase on life support. VB 3.x was the best, and there doesn't appear to be a crash priority reason to migrate off it immediately. That said, I've always been one to prefer spending time/money/effort on long term solutions instead of keeping things patched together while the core system slides farther and farther into the past. The world keeps turning, and internet communities need to evolve or be left behind...

Personally I *don't* see vB 4 as evolution... Maybe slap a D in front and call it a day. ;)

Couldn't this 'life support' be considered a modification, which is allowed per the license agreement? I don't think mod developers have to stop creating mods for older versions of the software simply because it is EOL'd, do they?

I think this should sum up my views on the issue:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4888873
IB.EOL.vb.3.8.webp

LOL
:)

Personally I *don't* see vB 4 as evolution... Maybe slap a D in front and call it a day. ;)
Indeed.

vB 3 was a legendary product that must have made Jelsoft alot of money.
This was the time where most vB admins were vB fanboys. Bragging how their forums were better than all others.
The question was ..... would vB4 need to be a total rewrite of vB3 or just refactored ?
Very biq question. Huge question.
IB decided: Refactor ... and vB 4 was a huge failure, and still is.
Xenforo showed IB what vB could have been if they moved to more advanced internet technologies.

vBulletin Four . O or XenFour-O ?
The wise choice is Xenforo.
Zen emphasizes experiential Wisdom in the attainment of enlightenment.

So your switching from running a forum to using WordPress instead altogether. And moving all your forum content into WP?
No, I'll be running XF and WP side by side, WP to contain my site's static content (articles, reviews, how-tos) and XF the forum. Right now I'm using another CMS and VB 3.8, and they are integrated together. So, if I were to upgrade to Xenforo, the script integration would break, and vice-versa (there is no XF integration for the script I use for my CMS). Hope that clarifies :).

No, not really. I look at XenForo as being a totally different product, nothing like vBulletin. It's not what I would have envisaged a full re-write of vB4 to be like.

Well, I've been waiting for this announcement for a few months now. All the while I've been lurking around here debating on making the switch.

I'm just glad there is another another option of forum software out there besides vb4 to consider.

I sincerely doubt I am going to move up to vb4 from 3.8.x

My main issue is going to be a downloads add-on for XF. My board's main feature is that of downloads that get uploaded for the public members. DownloadsII for 3.8.x is what I am using and like it very much. I dread, I mean dread moving/switching/migrating all of our downloads to a new platform.

More and more I use XenForo, the more I remember vBulletin in it's glory days of 3.5. I am very happy with XenForo.

Well, I've been waiting for this announcement for a few months now. All the while I've been lurking around here debating on making the switch.

I'm just glad there is another another option of forum software out there besides vb4 to consider.

I sincerely doubt I am going to move up to vb4 from 3.8.x

My main issue is going to be a downloads add-on for XF. My board's main feature is that of downloads that get uploaded for the public members. DownloadsII for 3.8.x is what I am using and like it very much. I dread, I mean dread moving/switching/migrating all of our downloads to a new platform.

ditto, i cant move on from vb to xenforo until someone make a xenforo mod for downloadsII and an importer for vb mod to xenforo.been waiting and hoping for the past 5 months still no release of this mods. There has been few coders who said they would release it but none of them has release so far or even remotely showed real geniune promise..
so its looking dark here, and seriously considering not going with xenforo if theres not a mod for downloadsii sigh
just need to continue to have faith i guess

ditto, i cant move on from vb to xenforo until someone make a xenforo mod for downloadsII and an importer for vb mod to xenforo.been waiting and hoping for the past 5 months still no release of this mods. There has been few coders who said they would release it but none of them has release so far or even remotely showed real geniune promise..
so its looking dark here, and seriously considering not going with xenforo if theres not a mod for downloadsii sigh
just need to continue to have faith i guess
Have faith all will come in due time :). xF is a little baby and it is growing super quickly so it is like a mutant lol.

Top Bottom