1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

php 5.3 - June 29 is END of LIFE (no more updates for you)

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by Adam Howard, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Na na na na
    Na na na na Hey, hey, goodbye!

PHP 5.3 reaches END OF LIFE on June 29, 2014. It is expected it may receive a collective security update and maybe a small patch update if any problems directly arrive from that update, but beyond that; you're likely going to be out of luck.

Strongly suggest you adapt to PHP 5.6 upon it's final release (or 5.5).

Divvens and FredC like this.
  2. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Crud!!! i think thats me.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  3. Adam Howard

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I do a little dance everytime they finally retire an old version of PHP. :p

All joking aside, you should upgrade to 5.5 or wait for 5.6. You'll love the speed boost (it's noticeable). :)
    FredC likes this.
  4. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Just completed updating Apache and PHP, holy hell you were not kidding.. not sure how much quicker it actually is now but i can tell a significant difference.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  5. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

I thought 5.2 was good enough... 5.5 or 5.6 worth upgrading to? why?
  6. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Adam Howard and EQnoble like this.
  7. Adam Howard

Should move to PHP 5.6 once it is released.

The change difference between 5.5 and 5.6 is very good in speed, but there is almost zero incompatibility difference which means it should flawless to do. So you have all the benefits, but none of the risk. ;)

8. Adam Howard

9. Adam Howard

Told you :D

There have been some significant improvements in the way php outputs the code and it translates into speed! :)
  10. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

upgrading from 5.2 to 5.4 is not easy. i am not sure if i want to perform any other php upgrades for awhile.
  11. Aayush

Aayush Well-Known Member

Heard that 5.6 is turning out to be insanely fast. :)
  12. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

I'm still slightly nervous to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.6

Is downgrading a problem if I run into one? Do I need to redo the config file?
  13. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

Take a backup and it's simple.
  14. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

I'm surprised people still use anything less than PHP 5.4, and that's only because software such as WHMCS doesn't support 5.5 last I checked.