VB 3x end of life

To be fair, we all knew EOF was coming for vBulletin 3 for a while now. In fact I was suprised myself to see the couple of extra releases of vB 3.8.x that we have.

Well, with the issue of Internet Explorer 9 causing viewing issues on many forums, and it looking like no "proper fix" will come for vBulletin 3.8 now it's EOL. You could be right!

Because IE comes as standard on the Windows O/S, with many average users of the web sticking with using it. It is pretty important if your serious about your forum and the software it uses, that it has to be perfectly fine being viewed in IE9. That could force many vB3 users now re-think their stance about sticking with it from here on in, especially if IB say they won't fix any IE9 issues in vB3.8 now it's EOL.

At the moment though I think just about every forum software package is having viewing issues with IE9. I know vB4, MyBB and IPB are, but read IPB have now released a patch to fix it with their latest version.

Well, with the issue of Internet Explorer 9 causing viewing issues of many forums, and it looking like no fix will come for vBulletin 3.8 now it's EOL. You could be right!

That is probably why they stopped support and charged $50 for the last fix.

Wouldn't it be fair to extend support for vB 3.x until vB4 was usable ?
Seems unfair to force people to downgrade to vB4.
If I were IB, I'd hope my vB5 was killer and I'd keep vB3 support until that time.
They should desperately attempt to hold their marketshare.
They'll be shooting themselves in the foot pissing off vB3 users.
I suspect they know that.

It does seem like an odd decision to me also to make vB3 EOL right now. Many people still view vB3 as the premium product for using they offer, so it doesn't make sense to me and is a bit like cutting your own wrist. People have been renewing their vBulletin licenses to get the latest vB3 version to use (not vB4).

So they've just lost some sales doing this, and all they was doing was maintaining it, not even developing it further.

I read a vote poll there the other day asking how many people have converted from vB3 to vB4. It made me laugh because of the few replies made. Two had downgraded back to vB3 and another just stuck with vB3 still.

i paid for the suite pre-sale, now they want more money for the mobile application add-on. when does this ever stop?

glad I do background tests before updating my live boards.

Wouldn't it be fair to extend support for vB 3.x until vB4 was usable ?
Seems unfair to force people to downgrade to vB4.
If I were IB, I'd hope my vB5 was killer and I'd keep vB3 support until that time.
They should desperately attempt to hold their marketshare.
They'll be shooting themselves in the foot pissing off vB3 users.
I suspect they know that.
It was always known IB was after new customers, not existing ones, so really any customers that do leave are losses they can accept. I'm sure they already did the math.

It's not like vb3.x has stopped working just because of this announcement.
vb3.x still has a good 4-5 years of life left. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Or maybe there are a few stupid people like myself: "If it ain't broke, break it and then try to fix it" :D

It was always known IB was after new customers, not existing ones, so really any customers that do leave are losses they can accept. I'm sure they already did the math.
Well .... there was a time that every vBulletin admin only suggested vB as a forum. vBulletin had 1000s of fanboys as customers. They'd happily trash phpBB2-3 as insecure on every occasion they could. That's where your existing customers create new customers. Now, current customers warn their admin friends not to get vBulletin. That's going to cause problems for IB for a long time.

FWIW, XenForo 1.0.1 will come with an updated vBulletin 3.8 importer that includes the ability to rewrite vBulletin's [attach] and [quote] tags so that there are no broken links in posts, and also imports positive reputation as Likes.
Nice, but will there also be a way to import the Likes from vBSEO? A lot of people are using that add-on, and my members have really embraced that Likes system. It would be sad to start all over again.

It's not like vb3.x has stopped working just because of this announcement.
vb3.x still has a good 4-5 years of life left. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Or maybe there are a few stupid people like myself: "If it ain't broke, break it and then try to fix it" :D
Haha! :D the same way as I've seen some of my own moves during the years of forum administration.

Top Bottom