Using Twitter to promote a site

Carlos

Well, this is depressing. :p
Site: http://voiceradio.us
View attachment 17553
This is traffic from when I started tracking (two months after the forum's launch; about two and a half weeks after the radio launched) up until yesterday. The peak in May was because I was fast in breaking news on John Mayer's new album, so I got a lot of traffic from Twitter. :p ...and yet, it was only 153 visits. :/
You need to use every marketing tactic in your disposal to bring about more hits to your site.

Consider doing the following:

- For every thread you start, or your members start [that is, if you like the quality of the thread]. Tweet about it, use hashtags where it is relevant to subject at hand.

For example, if you have a thread about Tupac's album - tweet about it with his hashtags - the point that you're doing is targeting THAT niche, that market.

If you have a thread about Two and a half men - tweet about it by using "Charlie Sheen" or #Sheen. One thing about marketing is that you're vying for eyeballs. Repeat after me: Eyeballs.

ESPECIALLY if your favorite show, music CD, or other entertainment stuff is trending on twitter. But you have to work at it.

- Facebook is a search engine, whether you realize it or not. So, when you post a link, do the link FIRST before anything else...

When you're done posting the link and the excerpt is there... Piece together a sentence for your link; like this:

Lil Wanye is going to Wrestlemania! [the link is here] He's going to be singing at the grandest stage of all.

You need to think about your marketing strategy from every angle. These two I have shared with you today has net me about half of the visits that I accumulated.

Examples are here: MVC3Forum Twitter and MVC3Forum Facebook. If you want examples for a blog, here ya go: MW3Blog Twitter and MW3Blog Facebook.

I actually disagree with your methods of marketing (through Twitter, at least), but seeing as that's not the purpose of this thread and I don't wish to argue about it, I'll leave it at that and thank you for your advice. :)

I actually disagree with your methods of marketing (through Twitter, at least), but seeing as that's not the purpose of this thread and I don't wish to argue about it, I'll leave it at that and thank you for your advice. :)
You need to do it or you won't be able to target the market that you're after. And hey, if you disagree, and you don't like my methods, fine. Your loss if you don't use the methods.

You end up losing. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. The hashtags are there for you to be in the same "timeline" as the popular crowd.

If you don't do exactly what I said, you're not maximizing your marketshare.

In this economy, businesses are dying and they're closing up shop because they can't:

a) Adapt to changes in how the market sees your product or service.
b) Recognize the new opportunities - as I have already advised you to.
c) Don't really take advise, and ignore it.

Just the few, but you get the general idea.

Just tweeting doesn't really work - in fact, nobody's really listening.

I learned this the hard way and started learning all the tricks of the trade.

Imagine you're walking down the street, and you see a bunch of birds sitting on electric cables, and you're walking... They don't notice you because you're not communicating with them enough to make them notice.

But when you yell or throw something at them, they twitter away...

Then I guess I'll have to "lose" in your eyes. As I said, I don't agree that the way you use Twitter (i.e. throwing a tweet full of hashtags and a link out) is the proper method to communicate with and grow relationships with followers, who then become loyal members of your site/brand/business, which is the ultimate idea.

As I also said, however, this isn't within the topic of this thread, so if you'd like to add something else, feel free to report my post and have a staff member split it into a different thread.

Then I guess I'll have to "lose" in your eyes. As I said, I don't agree that the way you use Twitter (i.e. throwing a tweet full of hashtags and a link out) is the proper method to communicate with and grow relationships with followers, who then become loyal members of your site/brand/business, which is the ultimate idea.

As I also said, however, this isn't within the topic of this thread, so if you'd like to add something else, feel free to report my post and have a staff member split it into a different thread.
Just for that I will follow you on twitter :P.

From first hand experience, I don't think your followers will "care" how many hashtags you use. In fact, they come to your site if you catch their attention; If they like the topic you're tweeting, it won't matter how many hashtags you're using... Just as long the relevance is there.

The reason why I use many hashtags is to catch a wide net. There's a lot of variations of the same "game." Some people type "CODMW3" when they could just type "MW3." If you just focus on one thing you end up losing the entire market that you want.

MW3Blog would not be 20 thousand uniques strong without my massive use of SEO in wordpress, I looked at it from a marketing standpoint... MW3 would NOT have been that wildly successful if I had just focused on a few keywords, it would be at 5000 uniques, and not 20 thousand. Because many people like to type one thing, others like to type this - you want to catch BOTH markets, not just one.

Even then, I wasn't saying to follow the same exact tactic as I. The music, and entertainment industries are not as technical as the gaming industry, where you HAVE to use as many "jargon" as possible to reach a larger market. Music is a very hard industry to capture with keywords alone, from my standpoint. Because you have to focus on ONE niche - If you like rock, you have to know EVERYTHING about that genre. Its very narrow, you won't capture the market with terms like emo, punk, and whatnot. You have to do it by ARTIST first. And then everything else.

If the music industry was more technical, then terms like techno rock, punk rock, and whatnot would be the most searched hashtags. But no, instead, its the artists that drives the twitter universe. So, if you have a thread about John Mayer, this is your tweet:

#JohnMayer's new album is out! Check it out! [the link/url here]

I'm sorry, but #Music is too generic, #CD is too generic, and so on and on. This is what I meant before. Your "job" is to bring in as MUCH traffic as you can POSSIBLY can. No matter what you have to do. DO IT.

Your followers won't be bothered if you do the same tactic as I, but only do it within REASON.
The relevance is between how much traffic you're getting and SEO, how it has affected the growth. My tactics are all SEO-based even though it's on Social Media sites.

So, you don't really need to report, or split this off. Reporting me? Man, wtf?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want you to understand that I'm not trying to argue with you, but you seem to try to brush me off, T13. As if what I said was a joke. You treated my post as if "you're doing something wrong, and I'm not going to follow that." As if what I am doing is embarrassing.

I'm not playing games when I give out tips and tricks, when I give out advice, I expect people to take me serious. The advice I gave you can be very beneficial to your site. Sure, you want a community feeling, who doesn't? I don't? What? Are you kidding me? Of course I do!

Normally, marketers charge hundreds of dollars just for marketing efforts, online marketing, and of course, social media. Right now, the world's biggest brands are spending an upwards of 3 thousand dollars to 20 thousand dollars JUST for Twitter followers, and Facebook fans.

Take two n two together and do the math.

Thanks for splitting off the thread, Brogan. (Carlos, I didn't report anything--what I asked was that you report my post if you wanted to add another reply, since it wasn't within the topic of the first thread.)

I also don't think I'm brushing you off (part of it, I think, was that I didn't want to go too far into depth while we were in the other thread)--I'm just saying that I don't believe stuffing every tweet of yours with every hashtag related to the subject will help you out...because once you fill them too much, no one can read your tweets. Take this one, for example:
That may have all of the hashtags you want for it...but a) no one who's following you can read what you're trying to say without effort--and if it's on Twitter, there's a good chance no one's going to bother; they'll just move on to the next tweet in their news feed, and b) just because you have those hashtags there doesn't mean people are regularly searching for it.

After reading your replies, though, I have to ask...have you looked at my @voiceradio Twitter account? You're telling me not to "just tweet," and not to "yell or throw something at them," and I believe that I'm far from doing that with my approach. The way I write tweets for @voiceradio is to give a sneak peak of what's going on, then provide a link to the forum, similar to your tactic. However, we differ in that I don't have eight hashtags in that tweet, making it readable by the average Twitter user. Regardless of the hashtags' presence, people will read the tweet (in fact, I haven't researched it yet, but I think searching something, i.e. OnThisDay, yields the same results as adding the pound sign: #OnThisDay) and retweet if they want to (example: I posted a tweet about Mariah Carey being #1 x years ago today--someone who was looking for Mariah-related tweets came across it and RT'd it moments later, despite the lack of a hashtag). I think you said it best yourself: "If they like the topic you're tweeting, it won't matter how many hashtags you're using..." In addition to writing what I believe are well-thought-out previews (and not all of my tweets are links to threads, as you'll see from reading the account's history), I strive to actually communicate with my followers; for example, I set up alerts for when my account, site name, or URL is mentioned, and follow up as necessary (example: someone "liked" a song and shared it to Twitter; I thanked them for listening). Communicating with my followers is, in my opinion, the best way to convert those Twitter users into members of your site and loyal followers of your updates, both on Twitter and on your own turf.

Also, I'd be curious to know how high your bounce rate, # of pages viewed, etc. is on your site, considering neither of the two forums have over 100 members and there's not a lot of content on them (I'd check the blogs, but can't remember the URLs). My guess (though, with nothing to back that up, I could very well be wrong) is that a lot of your social media traffic is from bots who automatically crawl your link as it's posted on Twitter (generally about 20 per link posted, it seems).

Ultimately, I (and several successful, well-known social media marketers) believe that the goal of Twitter and other social media is to communicate with and build relationships with your followers. Cranking out a bunch of tweets only readable to those who are willing to do the work (and arguing with people in your tweets, which I saw yesterday on one of the two, by the way) does nothing to help build those connections or improve your account/brand's personal image.

I'm rambling now and I have to leave for our Relay For Life event, lol, so I'll leave it at that--be back Sunday.

I think you have to be very careful with this technique or you'll be viewed as nothing more than a twitter spammer. Take your example:

If you have a thread about Two and a half men - tweet about it by using "Charlie Sheen" or #Sheen. One thing about marketing is that you're vying for eyeballs. Repeat after me: Eyeballs.

We have a thread like that here, right? http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ce-charlie-sheen-in-two-and-a-half-men.18253/

No good would come from tweeting the thread. Would it attract traffic? Maybe, but it wouldn't be the right traffic because the interest wouldn't be directed at the site's core purpose. Hit and run visits might pad your stats, but it does nothing for user registration.

To my mind, anything aimed at simply generating visits is a flawed strategy. The strategy is always three fold:

1. Generate visits
2. Convert visits to user registrations
3. Convert registered users to active members

Each goal is complementary, or should be. #1 feeds #2, but only if its the right traffic. If you generate visitors based on topics tangential or unrelated to the core forum focus, then it does't really feed #2.

Its quality versus quantity.

Lets say you generate 1,000 unique visits a day. But because your marketing plan is based on keyword popularity and not core focus, only 10% register. Of that, only 10% become active members. Thats 10 members.

A tightly focused marketing plan only attracts 100 unique visits. But because there is a high degree of interest, 70% register. Of that, 25% become active members. Thats 17 members.

The numbers are made up, but realistic. Market the content that supports the core focus, not content blindly.

Alright, I will respond in depth:
I also don't think I'm brushing you off (part of it, I think, was that I didn't want to go too far into depth while we were in the other thread)--I'm just saying that I don't believe stuffing every tweet of yours with every hashtag related to the subject will help you out...because once you fill them too much, no one can read your tweets.
I never said to "plaster" hashtags all over your tweets, only use hashtags within reason. I explain later.
That may have all of the hashtags you want for it...but a) no one who's following you can read what you're trying to say without effort--and if it's on Twitter, there's a good chance no one's going to bother; they'll just move on to the next tweet in their news feed, and b) just because you have those hashtags there doesn't mean people are regularly searching for it.
That's not true. If that were true, I wouldn't have been seeing a spike of visits every time I do it. Every time I tweet the way I do, I see more than 20 users online at a moment (argue all you want that its bots, but some are actually viewing the site). If you want proof, I posted the stats for the site here. That spike at the right side is basically banking on hashtags for Comic Con, and EVO2011. I even invaded SRK that weekend:

284648_1915143593727_1096059668_31715520_2778637_n.jpg

So, by the time that Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is out, I have a feeling that my site will explode.

And there's still GamesCon in just a few days from now, and Tokyo Game Show in September.
After reading your replies, though, I have to ask...have you looked at my @voiceradio Twitter account? You're telling me not to "just tweet," and not to "yell or throw something at them," and I believe that I'm far from doing that with my approach.
You misunderstand me. That was a metaphor for trying to communicate with twitter users. The metaphor is that the birds aren't paying attention to YOU because you don't communicate with them by "yell or throw something at them." My point was that if you don't try to get their attention - they will just sit idly. Twitter is a real-time technology, that if one topic is trending - it's because the universe is twittering out loud about a subject. Charlie Sheen's tweet was the most tweeted subject at one point. So smart business would be to add a hashtag to your post to be in the same timeline as that popular tweet. If you just do it like "Charlie Sheen," they can search your tweet, but it's not always "up there" in the trending now section. Most hashtags are in the trending now section, so yeah.

Twitter isn't really a search engine. Google is. Facebook isn't really a search engine as a first priority, but it IS a search engine embedded into a Social Media website.

If Twitter was a search engine, our tweet(s) would have been searchable at any time at any given moment. Instead, nope it isn't. Your tweets DISAPPEAR from the timeline as time moves on! That's why you have to focus on the present moment to capture that market! Go to any website and find a twitter button, click on the number box - when the screen comes up: If that thread was a recent thread, it will appear. But if that thread is an old one, it's not there. It is Twitter.
The way I write tweets for @voiceradio is to give a sneak peak of what's going on, then provide a link to the forum, similar to your tactic. However, we differ in that I don't have eight hashtags in that tweet, making it readable by the average Twitter user. Regardless of the hashtags' presence, people will read the tweet (in fact, I haven't researched it yet, but I think searching something, i.e. OnThisDay, yields the same results as adding the pound sign: #OnThisDay) and retweet if they want to (example: I posted a tweet about Mariah Carey being #1 x years ago today--someone who was looking for Mariah-related tweets came across it and RT'd it moments later, despite the lack of a hashtag). I think you said it best yourself: "If they like the topic you're tweeting, it won't matter how many hashtags you're using...
You're downplaying my tactics, when in fact people HAVE tweeted my posts before. Here is one. Here is a second one. [Warning: Offensive content enclosed - context clue can offend some people, others not]

So since that we're talking about tweets themselves, I'll go ahead and try to counter you here:
Are @KathyBethTerry and @MsRebeccaBlack "doing it all again" with a remix of "Last Friday Night?" Signs point to "yes:" http://kwn.me/1ntj
The best thing you could have done here is adding hashtags to those two celebs' names, not @ signs. Your tweet is in the @ sign TIMELINE. Not the general timeline. Get it?

You're basically falling into the wrong area of Twitter. By this instance, you're actually losing traffic rather than gaining them.
In addition to writing what I believe are well-thought-out previews (and not all of my tweets are links to threads, as you'll see from reading the account's history), I strive to actually communicate with my followers; for example, I set up alerts for when my account, site name, or URL is mentioned, and follow up as necessary (example: someone "liked" a song and shared it to Twitter; I thanked them for listening).
All of this is circumstance.
Communicating with my followers is, in my opinion, the best way to convert those Twitter users into members of your site and loyal followers of your updates, both on Twitter and on your own turf.
Not all the time. Not everyone is going to register to your site if you "respond" to them like that. It's good what you're doing, but not everyone is going to do it.
Also, I'd be curious to know how high your bounce rate, # of pages viewed, etc. is on your site, considering neither of the two forums have over 100 members and there's not a lot of content on them (I'd check the blogs, but can't remember the URLs). My guess (though, with nothing to back that up, I could very well be wrong) is that a lot of your social media traffic is from bots who automatically crawl your link as it's posted on Twitter (generally about 20 per link posted, it seems).
Wow. You're a sad individual. Always using bots as an excuse to say that "your site isn't getting too many members because they're just bots" but my stats are telling me a whole different story - the visits and uniques are telling me actual human is visiting the site.

I have a LOT of content on MVC3Forum.

My blog is getting more comments on the site thanks to my marketing. Go ahead check MW3Blog. C'mon. Shoo shoo.

The only reason why MVC3Forum isn't getting too many members is because according to someone else, it's on xenForo. Nobody knows how to use xenForo - everyone's used to vBulletin.
Ultimately, I (and several successful, well-known social media marketers) believe that the goal of Twitter and other social media is to communicate with and build relationships with your followers. Cranking out a bunch of tweets only readable to those who are willing to do the work (and arguing with people in your tweets, which I saw yesterday on one of the two, by the way) does nothing to help build those connections or improve your account/brand's personal image.
Which argument are you talking about? And even then, I wouldn't want to bring those people over to my site, since they tried to take away my visitors from me. Those on MW3Blog "arguement," (if that's what you're referring to) are actually founders of a competing MW3 blog. Not too long afterwards, they tried to bribe me into merging my site into theirs. LMFAO.

They offered me some pay for content - which they offered lower than the price that I asked for. My content is full of quality. I didn't get at 20 thousand uniques without my skill.

a. Your hashtags have absolutely nothing to do with those twenty visitors you get. As far as I know, approx. twenty bots automatically crawl links that are posted on Twitter (I think there are articles that prove it, but I'm out the door shortly). It doesn't matter what you've put in the tweet--if a link's there, it gets crawled and that's where the visits come from. And yes, of course some of those visits are bound to be actual visitors, but when you see the twenty-guest bump, most of them are likely not.
b. That tweet on SRK shows (if I remember correctly) either because you've used one of the hashtags they've specified to show in the social stream, or because you posted it from that window. I can't tell because it's cut off, but I'm willing to guess that the tweet(s) below it have similar hashtags. Granted, you did get your tweet on SRK, which is good (though I can't say I'm aware of the site to know its influence), but it's really not a huge accomplishment (no offense, haha) considering I could just post those same hashtags with a completely unrelated link and have it appear there. Maybe that's your point and I'm misunderstanding you...three hours of sleep is doing wonders for me. :P
c. I don't get your claim that I'm not getting users' attention.
d. Not sure Charlie Sheen is the best person to emulate, haha... Either way, though, I wouldn't be tweeting about Charlie Sheen just because he's trending...because he has nothing to do with my forum. There is a thread discussing Two And A Half Men on my forum, but I haven't sent any tweets out about it because, as Fred said, it has nothing to do with my site's genre and focus. If Katy Perry, for example, is trending, I'd be tweeting about it--but, chances are, I'm already doing so because I'll have been reporting the latest update (for example, the remix of her latest single, which you'll notice I tweeted about a few minutes ago :LOL:).
e. Tweets don't disappear. There are tools to go back 3,200 tweets (which could be years) easily, and if you wanted to scroll down your timeline forever, you could get back to the beginning. The tweet buttons' numbers might disappear, though, but why would I want them viewing those old tweets anyway? ...I guess I don't get your point.

I'm still curious to know your bounce rate, considering you have good stats in Google Analytics, yet very little turnover into members on your site.

a. Your hashtags have absolutely nothing to do with those twenty visitors you get. As far as I know, approx. twenty bots automatically crawl links that are posted on Twitter (I think there are articles that prove it, but I'm out the door shortly). It doesn't matter what you've put in the tweet--if a link's there, it gets crawled and that's where the visits come from. And yes, of course some of those visits are bound to be actual visitors, but when you see the twenty-guest bump, most of them are likely not.
See, more downplaying. You seem to really want to drag me down.
b. That tweet on SRK shows (if I remember correctly) either because you've used one of the hashtags they've specified to show in the social stream, or because you posted it from that window. I can't tell because it's cut off, but I'm willing to guess that the tweet(s) below it have similar hashtags. Granted, you did get your tweet on SRK, which is good (though I can't say I'm aware of the site to know its influence), but it's really not a huge accomplishment (no offense, haha) considering I could just post those same hashtags with a completely unrelated link and have it appear there. Maybe that's your point and I'm misunderstanding you...three hours of sleep is doing wonders for me. :p
SRK is one of the world's largest fighting game websites. So the influence is pretty strong.

EVO is a tournament event, a championship series of tournaments owned by the same people who created and runs Shoryuken (SRK for short), so when people started tweeting about EVO from all over the world, I jumped in. I capitalized on the market that is trending worldwide by using the hashtag #evo2k - that's how I got into SRK's website. Both the EVO website, their video stream, AND SRK. Both - Three birds, ONE stone.
c. I don't get your claim that I'm not getting users' attention.
Just you wait. I said the post is a edit in progress.
d. Not sure Charlie Sheen is the best person to emulate, haha... Either way, though, I wouldn't be tweeting about Charlie Sheen just because he's trending...because he has nothing to do with my forum. There is a thread discussing Two And A Half Men on my forum, but I haven't sent any tweets out about it because, as Fred said, it has nothing to do with my site's genre and focus. If Katy Perry, for example, is trending, I'd be tweeting about it--but, chances are, I'm already doing so because I'll have been reporting the latest update (for example, the remix of her latest single, which you'll notice I tweeted about a few minutes ago :LOL:).
I don't think you get it. You're not getting it. I don't know your site enough to say things the way YOU want it....

The entire point that I was making. Is that, for your industry, YOURS. Not mine, YOURS. You need to use the right tweet to gain the market that YOU want. YOU. Not me. YOU. If you want to capture the music industry, YOU have to use hashtags where POSSIBLE.

Like you almost did here:
The #1 song in the US #OnThisDay in 1990? @MariahCarey's debut, "Vision Of Love." Watch her '91 @TheGRAMMYs performance: http://kwn.me/1nt9
But this is what you're supposed to do:
The #1 song in the US #OnThisDay in 1990? #MariahCarey's debut, "Vision Of Love." Watch her '91 @TheGRAMMYs performance: http://kwn.me/1nt9
Because @ signs are supposed to be a one-on-one conversation. If you have a question, comment [not like you did above, I mean a direct comment], and feedback the @ sign is designed to do exactly just that.

The # sign (ahem, the hashtags) are designed so that you REACH your specific community, your specific niche. If you want to capture Maria Carey's fans, you do it by hashtag. If you want to reach eminem's fans, you use his hashtag, not the @ sign. If you don't want to use his hashtag, then just say his name - like you have for some tweets.

But I don't advise using just his name, rather than hashtags. Why? Because again: Twitter isn't a search engine - the algorithm isn't there to automatically put your tweet with the rest of the crowd. Meaning, if you just use "Eminem" in your tweet, it will go into a different timeline, therefore, falling into the wrong market. The wrong place the wrong time. Whereas, hashtags puts your tweet SQUARELY in the middle of a conversation that YOU want. YOU.
e. Tweets don't disappear. There are tools to go back 3,200 tweets (which could be years) easily, and if you wanted to scroll down your timeline forever, you could get back to the beginning. The tweet buttons' numbers might disappear, though, but why would I want them viewing those old tweets anyway? ...I guess I don't get your point.
*Grunts really hard* AGHHHH!!! Look, what I said, what I SAID. Was that Twitter isn't a search engine. MEANING, your older posts are not in twitter's search results! Meaning, meaning, your older posts don't accumulate into the total search records. If someone wanted to find an old post of yours, they can't really find it via twitter.

Never mind the question "why would I want them to find my old posts?" NEVER mind that! Google finds your content regardless of the fact its recent, regardless of the fact that its 5 months old! Twitter doesn't do that. Pay attention.

You are actually losing sight of what the bigger picture is here.
I'm still curious to know your bounce rate, considering you have good stats in Google Analytics, yet very little turnover into members on your site.
Oh, so that you could make fun of me? Laugh at my expense? Like you've done up to this point? I mean, everything I say seems to have fallen into deaf ears.

From a XenFans community-manager content article I just released (a 7 parter) to our premium members, part of it is about social media, how to use it as a site owner, community manager, and things to consider.

Fragment: (meaning: this is just a portion, this thread made me think of it, hopefully it helps as a bit of value to this thread)

Community Manager Content

# Sending the Community Manager into the social media world

Having things organized internally means it's time to walk out the door, to the left, and click on the various popular social media sites, and not just Twitter, Google+ and Facebook, but blogs, communities, conferences, media events, and social contacts. Tracking what's going on outside your trusted ecosystem is hard. You can not control the media out there, but you can communicate the positive vibe and have great conversations. Building character is another 25% of trust with your audience.

Monitoring your traffic stream, in and out, is important. Connections are tracked through cookies, retweets, likes and recommendations. Not just from one site, but through a social connection, a group, a complete community sometimes.

A few resources you can consider your CM to use on a semi frequent basis are:

http://hootsuite.com/
http://www.xydo.com/
http://socialoomph.com/
http://infegy.com/socialradar.php
http://www.peerindex.net/
http://synthesio.com/corporate/
http://www.sysomos.com/
http://www.lithium.com/what-we-do/social-customer-suite/social-media-monitoring
http://www.radian6.com/
http://www.attensity360.com/

These help you organize your social online experience, your interaction with the team and the incoming flow of communication. Help you engage, watch, listen, and learn from what's playing with you, your keywords, your traffic audience, and all of that stuff. If not only for a general impression.

You want to learn your followers, those who have an influence. And build a relationship with them. And you will learn how to engage, and when to take a step back or stay away from a conversation.

Remember though, you can have a Twitter account or Facebook Page for your company, your site. But your CM is a person, an individual. They're the go to point for communication and data flow. A face to it all. Your followers and visitors feel they're welcome, as an individual. And no longer as a number with a unique user id.

You're not there to sell your services, products, and premium membership. You're there to get the word of mouth out, and inject the most of the thought behind the site/company and the mission statement.

There are no direct results with social media, there are however millions of indirect results. And they all count.

Wow. You're a sad individual. Always using bots as an excuse to say that "your site isn't getting too many members because they're just bots" but my stats are telling me a whole different story - the visits and uniques are telling me actual human is visiting the site.
Um, as far as I can tell he only brought up bots once in that post, as I can tell you every time I just tweet his link he gets around 20-30 visitors, which are all bots most likely.

You are actually losing sight of what the bigger picture is here.
You need to know, not everybody is trying to make money etc like you are, getting visitors on his site doesn't get him money as he has no ad's. The way he uses Twitter is actually one of the best ways to use it, you must get in touch with your followers and get them to like you, otherwise you won't get members or active members.

I would really love to see what you have to say against Fred Shermans post.

Oh, so that you could make fun of me? Laugh at my expense? Like you've done up to this point? I mean, everything I say seems to have fallen into deaf ears.
Kurt isn't like that and doesn't just make fun of people for small things like this, actually I haven't seen him make fun of anybody really.

Also up to this point? Really? He hasn't done one thing to laugh at you or make fun of you up to this point.

Hmm, just my opinion. I personally wouldn't like to see a tweet 90% filled with hashtags and just a word or two of actual content and then a link. While it may get you noticed, it may not appeal to some. 1 or maximum 2 hash tags, and twitter should also be used to make your followers enjoy your tweets, and to encourage them to take part in the community. If your aim is to just get page hits then what you are doing may work, but if you want a good loyal community then you need to interact with members in all ways possible.

And off topic: The mw3talk forums really needs work on its theme. I had a look around and there are many places which just...you know doesn't look that good. An example in post user info, the gray text is just not suiting the orange background. And neither is the green link on it. The navigation bar selected tab font color, just a more neater look would attract members to stay.

I have actually honed my twitter practices. I only auto tweet out certain things but prefix it with "From the Forum:", "Announcement:", "Article:", etc...

But I also login with my iphone to tweet back at people who tweet at me. Answers a lot of questions through twitter. I can actually say that I have seen registrations going up from our twitter service. (people say so in their intro :))

But I have to agree, a tweet full of hashtags is not as valuable as a specific response to your followers or topics that you tweet from your forum.

I mean, everything I say seems to have fallen into deaf ears.

Because everything you've said is all about Twitter spamming basically. I don't follow auto-posters (or even human posters) who don't "engage" in users. When I see this, I unfollow:
#xenforo #xf #forum #software #development #addon http://bit.ly/abcdef

What is that link to?

Take this tweet for example:
#MarvelVsCapcom3 #MvsC3 #MVC3 #UltimateMVC3 #UltimateMarvelVsCapcom3 #UMVC3 How should I prepare for #evo2k tournament? mvc3forum.com/threads/world-…

How is the first 6 hashtags relevant to the #evo2k tournament? I'm not a huge gamer, so I don't know, but if I was looking for evo2k, I see a spam post.

Kurt's method brings information about what to expect with more information in the actual tweet:
#OnThisDay in 2003: @didoofficial's Life For Rent, the 7th-best seller in the UK in the 2000s, hit #1, feat "White Flag:" kwn.me/1nu4

I know that August 5th, 2003, DID's "Life for Rent" was the 7th best seller in the UK in the 2000s. I learn that before I follow a link. I'd rather get that than hashtag spam any day.

Oh, and it appears that everything Kurt, Fred, and everyone else has said has fallen on deaf ears as you're "downplaying" them...

Um, as far as I can tell he only brought up bots once in that post, as I can tell you every time I just tweet his link he gets around 20-30 visitors, which are all bots most likely.
That's not what the Google analytics is telling me. I do the same thing for my blog, my MW3blog, and my CODForums twitters.
You need to know, not everybody is trying to make money etc like you are, getting visitors on his site doesn't get him money as he has no ad's. The way he uses Twitter is actually one of the best ways to use it, you must get in touch with your followers and get them to like you, otherwise you won't get members or active members.
I never implied that he should make money off his forum or do it because of it. I'm just trying to help him boost his number, but it seems like everyone likes to jump at the opportunity to throw me under the bus. I mean, I showed examples, yeah, but I never said specifically to "plaster" many hashtags. I only do it because some people can't make up their minds on which keyword (ahem; hashtag) is popular enough. So instead of just experimenting with it, I cast a net.

Its the same thing with MW3, everyone likes to use different keywords or hashtag. Some people like MW3, some people like CODMW3, some others like Modern Warfare 3... I covered this before, but it doesn't seem like anyone's paying attention.

Let me put it in another way: When I moved CODForums to vB4, the only keyword that I can capture on google: CODForums. This is bad news. I like the CODForums name, don't get me wrong, but I want the entire Call of Duty community, I want the Modern Warfare 3 market, I want the Black Ops market, I want COD4 fans... Catch my drift now?

So, This is disheartening - Especially when you have a competing COD website that has the same name as yours, yet it gets more members... through Call of Duty keywords, Modern Warfare 3 keywords, through Black Ops keywords. Its frustrating!
I would really love to see what you have to say against Fred Shermans post.
See, that's the attitude [ahem; tone] that I was responding to when I said:
And so, moving on...
Kurt isn't like that and doesn't just make fun of people for small things like this, actually I haven't seen him make fun of anybody really.
Okay, I gotcha now.

Top Bottom