Using Twitter to promote a site

Because everything you've said is all about Twitter spamming basically. I don't follow auto-posters (or even human posters) who don't "engage" in users. When I see this, I unfollow:

What is that link to?

Take this tweet for example:

How is the first 6 hashtags relevant to the #evo2k tournament? I'm not a huge gamer, so I don't know, but if I was looking for evo2k, I see a spam post.

Kurt's method brings information about what to expect with more information in the actual tweet:

I know that August 5th, 2003, DID's "Life for Rent" was the 7th best seller in the UK in the 2000s. I learn that before I follow a link. I'd rather get that than hashtag spam any day.

Oh, and it appears that everything Kurt, Fred, and everyone else has said has fallen on deaf ears as you're "downplaying" them...
I ignore twitter spammers almost instantly.

If your Tweets don't have content, I have no reason to pay attention to you. I can understand auto-posting some things (like an announcement that brings important information), but if the majority is just spammed hash tags and pointless content, there is no reason to bother with the person.

Oh, and it appears that everything Kurt, Fred, and everyone else has said has fallen on deaf ears as you're "downplaying" them...
See. Your comment is very sarcasm-heavy. I can read between the lines. I'd advise you to not use it.
How is the first 6 hashtags relevant to the #evo2k tournament? I'm not a huge gamer, so I don't know, but if I was looking for evo2k, I see a spam post.
Uhm. There was a MVC3 tournament? Capcom was there to promote Ultimate MVC3 as well. I'm sorry, but you sounded pretty stupid there. I know you're not a gamer, but context clues point you there. When I use MVC3 tags AND evo2k hashtag, then both markets go hand-in-hand. The tweet was about a member who was getting ready for a MVC3 tournament.

At first I didn't know which one he was talking about because I didn't know the first thing about EVO, but I did all the research before the event took place.

Turns out I was doing the right thing, because some of the tournament winners got trending now status, and the streams? 1 million views. So, If I advertised on their stream - skyrocket. Boom. Bewwwwwwwww!!!!!!

*Imitates explosion*

I'll be ready next year. :)

That's not what the Google analytics is telling me. I do the same thing for my blog, my MW3blog, and my CODForums twitters.

I never implied that he should make money off his forum or do it because of it. I'm just trying to help him boost his number, but it seems like everyone likes to jump at the opportunity to throw me under the bus. I mean, I showed examples, yeah, but I never said specifically to "plaster" many hashtags. I only do it because some people can't make up their minds on which keyword (ahem; hashtag) is popular enough. So instead of just experimenting with it, I cast a net.

Its the same thing with MW3, everyone likes to use different keywords or hashtag. Some people like MW3, some people like CODMW3, some others like Modern Warfare 3... I covered this before, but it doesn't seem like anyone's paying attention.

Let me put it in another way: When I moved CODForums to vB4, the only keyword that I can capture on google: CODForums. This is bad news. I like the CODForums name, don't get me wrong, but I want the entire Call of Duty community, I want the Modern Warfare 3 market, I want the Black Ops market, I want COD4 fans... Catch my drift now?

So, This is disheartening - Especially when you have a competing COD website that has the same name as yours, yet it gets more members... through Call of Duty keywords, Modern Warfare 3 keywords, through Black Ops keywords. Its frustrating!

See, that's the attitude [ahem; tone] that I was responding to when I said:

And so, moving on...

Okay, I gotcha now.

Why u no mention WAW? :(

On Topic, I seriously don't think that anyone will ever pay attention to all your hashtag spam posts. It seems that it is going to have an opposite effect.

Why u no mention WAW? :(
Because WAW sucks. :p
On Topic, I seriously don't think that anyone will ever pay attention to all your hashtag spam posts. It seems that it is going to have an opposite effect.
Okay then, what you suppose I do? I mean, I explained my reasons for using many hashtags in the first page.

And I like how everyone seems to be calling me a spammer, or my posts "spam." That's funny. Everyone seems to ignore that I actually do integrate comments into each tweet... Awesome.

....Whatever.

Okay then, what you suppose I do? I mean, I explained my reasons for using many hashtags in the first page.

And I like how everyone seems to be calling me a spammer, or my posts "spam." That's funny. Everyone seems to ignore that I actually do integrate comments into each tweet... whatever.
No, they're saying the method in which you use twitter is considered spam.

Stop taking every little thing personally and that it is some slight, it wasn't meant as such.

And I like how everyone seems to be calling me a spammer, or my posts "spam." That's funny. Everyone seems to ignore that I actually do integrate comments into each tweet... Awesome.

....Whatever.
WAW = best COD
*ON TOPIC...AGAIN*

Still, I understand your reasoning, but no matter what you try to do it is the same as people running spam bots and spamming forums, just because you can do something doesn't mean it is right. If I see a twitter that says

"WAW is the best COD of all time!"
I am much more likely to read it rather than
"#COD #WAW #Treyarch #Gaming #Xbox #PS3 #Wii #WWII Best COD of all time!" or anything of the like...

(yea, somehow I made our offtopic conversation on-topic, strange? Now I will #BRB #Getting #Iced #Tea lawl oh wait, I mean #lawl)

See. Your comment is very sarcasm-heavy. I can read between the lines. I'd advise you to not use it.
I suggest you actually read my reply. Only the last part was sarcastic, as everything everyone has sad you have thrown into the wind saying "its wrong, I'm right, listen to me."

Uhm. There was a MVC3 tournament? Capcom was there to promote Ultimate MVC3 as well. I'm sorry, but you sounded pretty stupid there. I know you're not a gamer, but context clues point you there. When I use MVC3 tags AND evo2k hashtag, then both markets go hand-in-hand. The tweet was about a member who was getting ready for a MVC3 tournament.

At least I'm not blatantly calling you stupid or anything else. However, context clues were not there! All I saw were your default hash tags at the beginning of the hash tag. I didn't look stupid because the point was whether or not they were related, but how you presented it.

At first I didn't know which one he was talking about because I didn't know the first thing about EVO, but I did all the research before the event took place.

Turns out I was doing the right thing, because some of the tournament winners got trending now status, and the streams? 1 million views. So, If I advertised on their stream - skyrocket. Boom. Bewwwwwwwww!!!!!!

*Imitates explosion*

I'll be ready next year. :)
Glad you did you research, but it might help to present it in a non-spam like way. If you want all those hash tags, put them in the end so the content is put up front and doesn't look as spam-like.

I think there is another important thing that needs to be considered which is losing twitter followers that you already have. Sure, if you have zero followers you can hash as many messages as you want, but if you have worked hard at gaining good followers (i.e. folks that have conversations with you and give you #ff posts) then contiunuously posting things with more hashtags than content is going to make you lose people. I'm a gamer and I have started to unfollow people who have rapture accounts tweeting what they have played because I really don't care.

I do use hashtags in my tweets, its normally just one right at the end of the entire sentence. I have also seen no correlation between using hashtags and signups either. Yes, you have people or bots visiting, but then they disappear again. People who have signed up to the site via twitter are people who I have followed and found one of my posts interesting.

I see twitter posts like website content, if you don't put good content in, people won't click.

Wow, there's a lot to read here... I scanned through it a little bit and saw no mention of using a site like twitterfeed.com to help boost your visitors from twitter. You can add an rss feed from your site to your twitter account - and add pre or post text to always get posted w/ your tweets. It will grab up to 5 posts/hr from the rss feed, then i'll usually add one hashtag to each one. ie: on my linux site i'll add #linux to each one since I know each will likely be linux related.

You'll notice people starting to follow you, start posting interesting 'human made' tweets and retweet some good info from others who may be following you (or even those not following you yet) to get/keep things growing.

Anyway - twitter's a great way to get more ppl to your site.. don't over do it though..

Everyone has pretty much covered what I would've said in response to the first post (and better than I would have, haha :P), but I do have just a couple comments:
  • Carlos, I in no way meant to offend you or laugh at your expense in my post or with your information, and I apologize if you think I did. The reason I asked about your bounce rate was because a high percentage would support the belief that a lot of that traffic comes from bots.
  • Putting artists' names in hashtags instead of mentions provides no benefit, and actually, in my case on several occasions, it would have caused me to lose the attention I did get. For example, several times, I mentioned an artist in a tweet stating that their music was new on the station, they had a new single, etc., and it's caused me to get retweeted or thanked by the artist him- or herself. That gets me a bunch of traffic from their followers (which, 99%, is a higher number than my own number of followers, and usually by a large amount), most of whom are fans and supporters of that artist, which helps my chances for viewers/followers as well.
  • @Floris: Nice guide. :) I might recommend adding TweetDeck as another option; it's similar to HootSuite minus the analytics (I prefer TD over HS for desktop notifications and easier view of multiple accounts, since I don't pay for HS's analytics anyway).
  • @kprojects: I haven't used Twitterfeed myself because I find it easier personally to do it myself, and having it make a bunch of posts at one time is a good way to get unfollowed. I know that I personally get annoyed by the few accounts that I do follow that use Twitterfeed and make five posts automatically every half-hour or so. I find it easier (both from a posting and reading perspective) to manually make the tweets so they're personalized and spread out.

Carlos, I in no way meant to offend you or laugh at your expense in my post or with your information, and I apologize if you think I did. The reason I asked about your bounce rate was because a high percentage would support the belief that a lot of that traffic comes from bots.
Apology accepted....

69.77 is bounce rate for MVC3Forum. Lifetime, between Jan 23rd, to now.

It's not really high.

69.77 is VERY high. After 20% bounce rate you should be worried.
At first I was down because of negative feedback, but then after seeing that article...

Two reasons why I'm not worried:
This is a high bounce rate which is an indication that visitors are not really finding what they want on your site before leaving. A 51% bounce rate means that 51% of visitors come to your site without viewing any other page. Of note: Many blogs have high bounce rates because visitors often stop to read only one blog article before “bouncing” off to another site.
MW3Blog's bounce rate is higher than MVC3Forum because of this same reason. What's worse is that the Call of Duty market is very fickle, so you NEED to have a forum for them, otherwise they will bounce to another one of the thousands of COD websites on the net.

And the other thing is that I don't pay attention to bounce rate anymore - I pay more attention to uniques like this other reason states:
You may not be getting the sample sized required to get an accurate measurement of bounce rate. The more unique visitors you have each day, the more accurate your bounce rate will be.
*Relaxes* OOohh sahh! Ohhh sahh!

Oh, and btw, the more visits, and pageviews you have, the more you know that there are repeat readers.

I don't really understand all this social media mumbo jumbo... i have no facebook page, no twitter account, just use the plain old method of attracting people: Write good content. Google seems to love every thread I make and sends some people my way, some of them register, some become regular members, some become friends...

20,000 pageviews you said? what was the phrase again? "wildly successful"... hmmm what would you say to a site which has about 200 thousand pageviews? I still say it's doing decently... having a long way to go before I call it successful.

20,000 pageviews you said? what was the phrase again? "wildly successful"... hmmm what would you say to a site which has about 200 thousand pageviews? I still say it's doing decently... having a long way to go before I call it successful.
What's with your attitude?

It feels like you're trying to rub it into my face. Quite frankly, you're rubbing me the wrong way.

It's successful because I think it is successful, especially within the first 7 months.

Top Bottom