You Are Given $1,000 To Promote Your Forum - How Would You Spend It?

Also - Give away some free merch (if you run short on funds for prizes) .. little tid-bits showing off your brand. It goes a long way in boosting a forums/website image.

Holding something physical in your hand bolsters legitimacy, and you can reach more people on the same budget.

Another idea would be to give away Steam Cards since Sale season cometh -

Great suggestion Dextr. I have been thinking about doing that recently. The one thing holding me back is my forum and logo design. It's ok, though I am not sure it is exactly what I want moving forward.

I'm keen to get a new logo designed before I start giving away branded things like mugs, mouse mats, usb sticks etc.

I'd suggest Decals/Stickers for laptops/phone cases .. I have one on my own laptop -

It always captures looks whenever I use it in public and people have even asked about it :) (the website or what does it stand for)
A big shiny decal makes you look all sorts of 'business' .. heh.

I didn't think anyone would use stickers. It's not something I frequently see people add on laptops. If I was getting a free gift, I'd love some type of gadget; such as a usb stick, pocket light for keys, usb charging cable for a phone :)

Look for quality content writers, $75 per decent article gives me one every month for a year. That quality article is there to stay forever, sending me traffic forever.

Things like Facebook, banners, links = waste

If you don't care about content and building it that way, $1000 for promoting a site is nothing. You need at least thousands.

Facebook promoted posts, adwords and bing ads...
Obviously this depends on the forum type, etc. - but it's possible to get a ROI on investment from ad money.

Example - if you are an amazon affiliate it's possible that the visitors you paid to get to your site will end up buying things through an Amazon link. You may spend $200, but make $500 eventually.

Look for quality content writers, $75 per decent article gives me one every month for a year. That quality article is there to stay forever, sending me traffic forever.

If you don't care about content and building it that way, $1000 for promoting a site is nothing. You need at least thousands.

I have did this in the past. Another thing I may do just now is create a news room and have people to post news regularly. It's a good way to start new discussions.

Where do you find quality writers?

Competitions with prizes always befuddles me. A decent prize might cost around $50 and then you must ship it. To get any decent traffic I figure you must run a competition every week. That's a lot of time and money. I can't see it being worth it.

A thousand is just slightly better than nothing when it comes to promotional initiatives. Really, with that little bit of money, about the best you can do is take yourself out to a nice weekend somewhere and just continue doing what you're already doing in the way of promotion. A thousand bucks isn't going to give you anything that'll measure more than the memory of a few days of vacation.

The best way to promote your board is to be able to hire someone, part or full-time, who does this kind of thing for a living, or who wants to. Even a college kid might work. However you slice it, though, it'll take money, much more than a thousand. So if your site doesn't generate the revenue to make that worthwhile, you're stuck with gorilla tactics for which you don't really need money, except perhaps to pay an indigent tech worker in India or someplace like that to hack away for a few months at unscrupulous tactics to try to draw traffic your way. But even then, you're better off getting a naughty friend to partner up with you to do that kind of thing, since presumably the friend might, like you, be doing it for challenge or enjoyment. Some Indian tech dude isn't going to know enough about your site to know how to get the word out effectively. (He'll have that "50 posts for $5" mentality.)

Man, starting a forum today is really a bad idea. But old or new, it's all about traffic. It's just that with new, you're facing obstacles that I would wish only on a verified enemy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom