1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Using same install files on multiple installations

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Sim, Oct 12, 2016.

  1. Sim

    Sim Well-Known Member

    I have 8 XenForo licenses. I note that the install files each have a unique globalSalt within them (and thus unique filesum). Is this tied to the license somehow?

    Does this mean that I need to use the install files for a specific license to install/upgrade my sites? Or can I deploy the same files across each of my sites where they are licensed to operate? (ie download one zip file and use that same file to upgrade all of my licensed sites).

    From what I can tell, the addon files are identical, so using the same install files on the sites I am licensed to install them on would work okay?

    Note that I am not asking from a licensing point of view - I understand which products and addons I am licensed to use on which sites - it is merely a technical question from the point of view of minimising the amount of work required to maintain 8 different licensed sites and the mixture of addons installed on them.
     
  2. Chris D

    Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

    Yes

    Ideally you would be using the correct files for each install. Obviously it's an "at your own risk" type thing, but there is a XenForo Updater add-on which you can use to more easily upgrade XF. It will take some of the effort out of upgrading, and can be used to ensure you download the correct files for the correct license.

    For XF add-ons, they should be identical. I believe the aforementioned Updater add-on handles updating these too, though.

    For third party add-ons, this might vary from add-on to add-on. I have known add-on developers do a "globalSalt" type thing with some of their add-ons.
     
  3. Sim

    Sim Well-Known Member

    Okay - that's what I thought, thanks.

    FWIW, I did write myself a script to automate the upgrades based on the license identifier contained within the filenames which is working nicely - basically, I point my upgrader script at a downloaded zip file and it works out which site it belongs to and and unzips it into the correct location automatically.

    ... but I still have to manage up to 32 different files every time there's an upgrade (8 licences x 4 official products each ... not that I'm licensed for all official products on all sites, so the actual number is a bit less than 32).

    Anyway, it's working - I was just hoping I could make it even simpler by just using a single set of source files. I'll continue doing what I'm doing now - not that much of a big deal really.
     

Share This Page