Using Custom user fields with User group promotions

Using Custom user fields with User group promotions

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Brogan submitted a new resource:

Using Custom user fields with User group promotions - Allow your members to choose which additional user groups they wish to be members of

This guide will show how easy it is to allow your members to choose which additional user groups they wish to be members of and subsequently affect their forum experience.

For an explanation of both features, see the following pages of the Manual:
Custom User Fields
User Group Promotions

Read more about this resource...

If the member unchecks the box, they will be automatically removed from the user group.
I thought it was still based on User Group Promotions cron that runs (every 20 minutes)?

With this method users can join and exit from usergroups as many time they want, right?
I remember that promotions have some kind of limit... But 99% sure that I'm wrong. :unsure:

Is it possible to moderate a promotion? Placing the user promotion into the moderation queue, for approval

If the member unchecks the box, they will be automatically removed from the user group.

I'm using v1.5.2 and have just set this up, following the steps (but with a radio rather than a checkbox).
When a user removes the radio button (changing the choice from 'Join' to 'No selection'), they are not being removed from the user group. (cron has run many times since they unselected)

Could it be the difference between radio button and checkbox causing this, and it must be a checkbox? It appears I cannot change the custom user field from a radio to a checkbox, once it's been created.

If it's a simple on/off selection then you should be using a checkbox, not radio buttons.

@Brogan I've completed this for both my groups.
I'm running into this problem though, I've set it to be a requirement at signup to join a group - but there is no option at signup the join groups.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 8.39.24 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 8.39.24 PM.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 34
It needs to be user editable.
Alright I've done "user editable + only once" I assume that means once they choose they're stuck with that group, right? Thats what I want.

Wait, now I have another problem.
they cant only join one, since both are required.
I only want them able to join one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 9.00.30 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 9.00.30 PM.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 35
@Brogan

Wait, now I have another problem.
they cant only join one, since both are required.
I only want them able to join one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 9.00.30 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 9.00.30 PM.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 27
@Chris D @Mike
Could ether of you guys help with this?

I have 3 custom usergroup promotions, that I have "checkable" at registration.
If i make them "required" at register it makes it so you have to check all 3, but I only want them to be able to check one (although I DO want them to be forced to choose one, so that every registered member belongs to 1 of the 3 groups.)

After that I have a category with forums that I want EVERYONE to be able to see and read, but only ONE group to be able to post (besides admins)

Any help fellas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 8.51.19 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 8.51.19 AM.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 24
Probably best to have a single custom field named "Join" and three options; Christian, Athiest, Undecided etc.

Probably best to have a single custom field named "Join" and three options; Christian, Athiest, Undecided etc.

But with only one custom field would I be able to allow the Atheists to view and post in the Atheist forum while allowing the Christians to only view the forum and posts with no ability to reply or interact?

Yeah.

There is custom user field criteria within User Group Promotions.

So you would need 3 separate promotions.

One that applies when the choice for that field is "Christian".
One that applies when the choice is "Athiest".
One that applies when "Undecided".

If a user selects two of them, the two corresponding promotions will apply and they will be a member of both groups.

It's then just a case of setting/revoking permissions accordingly on the node for those groups.

Top Bottom