UserScript: XenForo Enhancer

mercDesign

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/132964

Script Summary: This will enhance a default XenForo website in a few ways. Allow categories to be collapsed. Poll the server more often to get current alerts and inboxes quicker. And to show alerts and inboxes in the title bar over the favicon.

xf-userscript-screenshot.webp

What it does
This scripts main purpose is to reduce F5 spam for new alerts or inboxes on XenForo forums by making it check for them every ~10 seconds to make it feel like you are getting them in real time. It also allows you to collapse categories on the node list.

This script also makes use of Tinycon (http://tommoor.github.com/tinycon/) which puts the number of alerts + inboxes onto the favicon.

Where will it work?
This has only been tested on XenForo.com/community. In theory it will work with most XenForo sites that haven't been customized too much.

Looks like it's working now. :) For some reason, it's shrinking my site's emoticon even though I have no alerts, though...not sure what's up there. o_O

So this is a browser plug-in?

Interesting

Would be more interesting to see this as an add-on for XenForo, not requiring an install within the browser.

It installs as a chrome extension or greasemonkey script on Firefox.

The Ajax Polling add-on is currently being updated to do the same alert/inbox stuff as this and to be compatible with the user script. This script here will check for the add-on, if it is there it won't do anything.

Seems that every time you restart your browser it uncollapses the categories you had collapsed, not using a cookie or something to keep it remembered?

Seems that every time you restart your browser it uncollapses the categories you had collapsed, not using a cookie or something to keep it remembered?
It does use a cookie but for some reason the cookie is deleted somewhere or it isn't picking it back up properly. I'll get it fixed when I have time to revisit.

It does use a cookie but for some reason the cookie is deleted somewhere or it isn't picking it back up properly. I'll get it fixed when I have time to revisit.

You have to pass an expiry date when setting the cookie (third parameter), if you don't pass one it becomes a session cookie.

I keep getting a javascript error even when there are no alerts. How do I uninstall this? I like the script but I just want to troubleshoot what the problem is. I'm getting it on every xenforo site I post on.

I keep getting a javascript error even when there are no alerts. How do I uninstall this? I like the script but I just want to troubleshoot what the problem is. I'm getting it on every xenforo site I post on.
Is it a time out? Usually that is from a bad connection or something serverside happening for that moment. There are a few other little bugs too. Will get to them when I can.

To uninstall if on chrome it is like a normal extension and firefox you should be use greasemonkey.

Top Bottom