1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UserScript: XenForo Enhancer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mercDesign, May 10, 2012.

1. mercDesign

mercDesign Member

Script Summary: This will enhance a default XenForo website in a few ways. Allow categories to be collapsed. Poll the server more often to get current alerts and inboxes quicker. And to show alerts and inboxes in the title bar over the favicon.

What it does
    This scripts main purpose is to reduce F5 spam for new alerts or inboxes on XenForo forums by making it check for them every ~10 seconds to make it feel like you are getting them in real time. It also allows you to collapse categories on the node list.

This script also makes use of Tinycon (http://tommoor.github.com/tinycon/) which puts the number of alerts + inboxes onto the favicon.

Where will it work?
    This has only been tested on XenForo.com/community. In theory it will work with most XenForo sites that haven't been customized too much.
    Walter, dwdmadmac, Van Damm and 6 others like this.
  2. Syndol

Syndol Guest

On this very site?
    Edit: very nice indeed.
  3. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

Thanks for sharing. :)
  4. mercDesign

mercDesign Member

There were some small issues. Current version is 0.3. Anyone not on it needs to upgrade asap.
  5. Coop1979

Coop1979 Well-Known Member

6. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Posting here to test to see if/when it pops up that someone else has replied.
    ragtek likes this.
  7. ragtek

ragtek Guest

like also works because it's included in notifications^^
    Trombones13 likes this.
  8. Trombones13

I see the icon change and alerts now that I've refreshed the page; is it supposed to update without refreshing?
  9. ragtek

ragtek Guest

10. mercDesign

mercDesign Member

Fixed in 0.4. Everyone needs to update again and this should be it now.
    CurveGotti and Trombones13 like this.
  11. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Oh hell yeah!!!!
  12. Trombones13

Looks like it's working now. :) For some reason, it's shrinking my site's emoticon even though I have no alerts, though...not sure what's up there. o_O
  13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

This is perfect. Made it easier to reach my Hot Spots.

14. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

So this is a browser plug-in?

Would be more interesting to see this as an add-on for XenForo, not requiring an install within the browser.
  15. mercDesign

mercDesign Member

It installs as a chrome extension or greasemonkey script on Firefox.

The Ajax Polling add-on is currently being updated to do the same alert/inbox stuff as this and to be compatible with the user script. This script here will check for the add-on, if it is there it won't do anything.
  16. TheRevTastic

TheRevTastic Well-Known Member

Seems that every time you restart your browser it uncollapses the categories you had collapsed, not using a cookie or something to keep it remembered?
  17. mercDesign

mercDesign Member

It does use a cookie but for some reason the cookie is deleted somewhere or it isn't picking it back up properly. I'll get it fixed when I have time to revisit.
  18. Naatan

Naatan Well-Known Member

You have to pass an expiry date when setting the cookie (third parameter), if you don't pass one it becomes a session cookie.
  19. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I keep getting a javascript error even when there are no alerts. How do I uninstall this? I like the script but I just want to troubleshoot what the problem is. I'm getting it on every xenforo site I post on.
  20. mercDesign

mercDesign Member

Is it a time out? Usually that is from a bad connection or something serverside happening for that moment. There are a few other little bugs too. Will get to them when I can.

To uninstall if on chrome it is like a normal extension and firefox you should be use greasemonkey.