User Upgrades Not Happening :(

John L.

Hi All,

So on one of my forums I have a user upgrade available. Someone definitely purchased one because I got a notification from PayPal. But, nothing happens in XF. I went to the list of active upgrades and...nothing. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a PayPal IPN I need to set or cron to run?

As long as you have a Premier PayPal account set up then it should be automatic.

I think the only time I recall this happening before was when the site was behind .htaccess as the PayPal callback was unable to complete.

I have upgrades configured on my site and haven't had any issues.

The help manual is here if you haven't seen it: http://xenforo.com/help/user-upgrades/

Edit: As per this post, the IPN is not necessary as XenForo overrides it anyway: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-do-account-upgrades-work.9901/#post-135755

If it's disabled though, that could be the reason so try enabling it.

As long as you have a Premier PayPal account set up then it should be automatic.

I think the only time I recall this happening before was when the site was behind .htaccess as the PayPal callback was unable to complete.

I have upgrades configured on my site and haven't had any issues.

The help manual is here if you haven't seen it: http://xenforo.com/help/user-upgrades/

Edit: As per this post, the IPN is not necessary as XenForo overrides it anyway: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-do-account-upgrades-work.9901/#post-135755

If it's disabled though, that could be the reason so try enabling it.

I have a PayPal Premier account, I also read the manual but it still doesn't work. No .htaccess file that I am aware of and I did set the PayPal IPN for good measure. But I have a multiple IPN script because I have multiple sites with paid upgrades and products. I don't think that would cause an issue, but who knows. I'll try to figure this out.

Right, would be nice if it had a comment or something of their Username. Because I have no idea who purchased this upgrade now. Do you see the issue? The email used is not registered.

I've just added the user name to the item name, so in future versions you will have that.

I think PayPal provides an IPN history now? If it does and it shows the value for the "custom" element, the first number in that is the user ID.

I've just added the user name to the item name, so in future versions you will have that.

I think PayPal provides an IPN history now? If it does and it shows the value for the "custom" element, the first number in that is the user ID.

Wow, thanks Mike. Great to know you guys actually make changes to the software when it's proposed :).

Right, would be nice if it had a comment or something of their Username. Because I have no idea who purchased this upgrade now. Do you see the issue? The email used is not registered.
You can always email them using their PayPal email address.
That will at least enable you to identify the member and then manually upgrade them.

As far as I know, you can only upgrade to a business account if you qualify and require a business account.

Whereas anyone can upgrade their personal account to a premier account.

As far as I know, you can only upgrade to a business account if you qualify and require a business account.

Whereas anyone can upgrade their personal account to a premier account.
Ah yes thanks :) I have a business account, so is that going to work for XenForo's account upgrade system?
I just thought that a Premier Account is a little on the heavy duty side for someone trying the upgrades system for a few members (low turnover) but would still require the automation process.
Might be a case of suck it and see with the Business Account, although the XF FAQ specifically states Premier.

Further thought, is anyone successfully using the XF Account Updates system with a Business Account, not a Premier?

I'm fairly sure a Business account will work.
I did put Premier account in the Help manual so perhaps I need to reword it to Premier or Business.

If you do try it with your Business account and it works, please let me know so I can update the document.

I did put Premier account in the Help manual so perhaps I need to reword it to Premier or Business.

If you do try it with your Business account and it works, please let me know so I can update the document.
Excellent, will do, thanks :)

Hey Brogan :)
Reporting back. Unfortunately it's not, in this case, plain sailing...

PayPal isn't triggering the Account Updates system at my end.
There's a CRON to monitor downgrades, but not one that upgrades. So for that reason I guess the upgrade, just happens when it happens. I'd pretty much expected this, so yep, ok no worries.

But:
PayPal Business account being used here and can't see that I've missed anything with the Primary email address in place and the subscriptions set properly as a non-recurring.
Non-recurring payments can be used for PayPal accounts and Payment via Credit/Debit card.

My test case:
12 month subscription non-recurring to an elevated level usergroup.
Again non-recurring means: "A payment will be required every x months to keep the upgrade active."

Any clues or pointers on how to make this automatic going forward?

Payment Gateway Setup
PayPal Primary Account Email
This is the primary email address on your PayPal account. If this is incorrect, payments may not be processed successfully. Note this must be a PayPal Premier or Business account!

By automatic do you mean recurring?

If so, you just need to edit the upgrade details and change it to a recurring upgrade, along with the frequency.
Nope, I don't want it recurring because to have a recurring payment, you absolutely have to have payments coming in via a PayPal account.
Therefore you cannot say on your sales page:
Q: Is a PayPal account required.
A: Nope. You can use the credit/debit card section of the PayPal page.

PayPal looks at the incoming request and shows the end-user the relevant page either:
a) On the left hand side there's a default credit/debit card entry form --------------- on the right "Sign In/up and use PayPal"
b) "Sign In/up via PayPal", no other way.

a) Responds to a "non-recurring" (a "safe" request) where...
b) Responds to "recurring" (automatic, rolling, on-going, maintenance free payments) evidently more security is needed for rolling payments, so directs you to be a PayPal customer.

I'm not clear on what it is you want.

You want an upgrade which isn't recurring but for which an automatic payment is taken once it expires?

I'm not clear on what it is you want.

You want an upgrade which isn't recurring but for which an automatic payment is taken once it expires?
Nope, I don't want a recurring and it is set up as such.
The payment that came through today, (100% verified by PayPal and released) hasn't triggered the upgrades system this end.

--------------------

Further (sorry guys) for future info.
Here's a quick snippet of my sales page:

au_qa.webp

For the red answer there to be true, you absolutely must use a non-recurring payment.

Hope this helps others :)
It's not mega-urgent for me right this second.

If you think this is a bug then it would be best to start a new thread in the bugs forum as this thread was started by a different member.

Top Bottom