1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 User Group Promotion problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Jeff Fuqua, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Jeff Fuqua

Jeff Fuqua Well-Known Member

I'm having problems with User Group Promotions.

When someone joins, they enter the Registered group which has limited access. I have the display styling priority set to 5. Once they post 5 times, they become a full Member which set to 25.

However, the permissions seem to stay with the Registered permissions though I have verified the promotion has worked. In looking at their profile, they remain set with the user group "Registered" with a check on the secondary group "Member".

Are they supposed to be changed over to user group "Member"? What am I missing? Thanks.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The problem is just the user title?

Assuming the individual users don't have custom titles in their profiles (which would override), then try running this:

Admin CP -> Tools -> Rebuild Caches -> Rebuild User Caches

3. Jeff Fuqua

Thanks for the reply.

Is the main user title supposed to change? I rebuilt the user cache and nothing changed there. The promotion record shows the promotion was made but only a few of the permissions seem to change and not all. I have to manually change the title for it to work.

4. Jake Bunce

The promotions are handled by a cron that runs every hour. You may wish to manually run it to force immediate promotions:

Admin CP -> Tools -> Cron Entries -> User Group Promotions -> Controls: Run

And even if you manually run the cron it only processes users who have been active in the last 3 days. If you want to process all users regardless of activity then you need to use this updated version of the cron:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...cron-running-out-of-memory.31541/#post-362657

That will allow you to remove 'last_activity' => array('>', XenForo_Application::$time - 86400 * 3) from the file to process all users without memory problems.

5. Jeff Fuqua

In this case, this user had been active. Here are a couple of screen shots to better explain:

Here is what is set for newly registered members...

registerpermissions.jpg

And here is what the setting are for a full member...

registerpermissions.jpg

And a look at the promotion I set up to do it...

promo.jpg promo2.jpg

Even after the promotions is run, the user group remains "registered" but a check is marked as "member". Member is set to 25. Registered is 5. But they are still unable to start threads or "high five" (like).

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. Jake Bunce

Promotions add secondary groups. That is normal.

The permission problem is because you are using Never permissions which means exactly that. You should use Not Set.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

7. Jeff Fuqua

I searched a couple of weeks ago and never found that thread. Thanks for your help.