XF 2.2 User given thread reply ban can still post in thread

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
As the title says, user given a thread reply ban can still post in the thread.

Is this a bug? If not what could be causing this? Thread reply bans used to work perfectly in the past.

They should have an entry in the xf_thread_reply_ban table but probably no need to dig around in the database for that because you'd just see them in the UI if you go to More options > Manage reply bans.

1604710832891.webp

So as long as that has worked, from our perspective, it should work.

Aside from that, verify whether disabling add-ons has any impact.

@Chris D

The thread reply ban shows up in Manage Reply Bans and also in the database:

phpmyadmin_thread_reply_bans.webp

manage_reply_bans.webp

I disabled all addons to re-apply the thread reply ban. That didn't help. When I re-enabled addons and went back to check, same problem.

There are no outdated templates.

I'm at a loss, especially because it definitely used to work in XF 2.1. I don't know at what point it stopped working or where the conflict might be or what to do next in terms of troubleshooting.

There is an option in that add-on:

[UserEss] Ban users from replying to own thread

It is not yet compatible with 2.2, but actually I have just noticed, the reply-bans don't work anymore in my forum, too. User noticed me after the update to 2.2.
This might be related?

But deactivating Xon's add-on didn't help with getting the reply-bans back to work. xf_thread_reply_ban is filled with the correct entries.

Anything @Xon would know of?

If any of you have Admin Tools installed, it's the reason. It adds two permissions: Reply to own thread, and Reply to others threads, that are only checked if a member can not make a reply. I'll make some changes here.

Don't thank me, because I never even thought of thread bans, so this is on me. I re-wrote the thread entity class extension to work when a member can reply. I'm just testing it to be sure it doesn't break another permission: Can use multi-quote when post replies is set to no.

The only other change that needed to be made here is to ensure a member that is banned from replying to a thread can not quote it when they have Can use multi-quote when post replies is set to no is set to Yes. That's done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom